Lei Shen Transition (10N)

So we reached him last night, put in about 15 pulls, almost all of them wipes on the first transition. We made it through sloppily a couple times with 1-2 deaths, but still haven't been able to master it.

Just wondering if anyone has any helpful tips out there to help us figure out how to deal with the transitions.

We've tried Splitting 2/2/3/3, with 2 tanks in 1 group, 1 heal/1 DPS in another, and 2 DPS/1Heal in the other 2, and we've also tried tanks each grabbing one, 2heal/2dps in one, and 1 heal/3dps in another. Nothing particular going wrong, and a lot of our deaths were to correctable things (people getting hit by Overload, missing too many bouncing bolts, etc), but I was wondering if there was any strat to make this easier. It just seems like unless we get great RNG, people get too overwhelemed, die to static shock, or die to adds from missing bolts.

Also, one of my biggest concerns is the second transition, when static shock will be hitting for near double the amount it hits in the first transition. I realize we'll be able to split into 3/3/4, but what if someone that doesn't have an immunity gets targetted by static shock? Such a large hit is going to be hard to survive, even when split up 3 was.

Most of the suggested strats have getting rid of the Eastern (Chain Lightning) conduit first, and allowing North (static shock) to level up in phase 2, is this the easiest way to go?

Our Comp:
    Holy Paladin (Bubble)
    Resto Druid (Iceblock)
    Disc Priest

Prot Warrior
    Blood DK

Hunter (Deterrance)
    Enh Shaman
    Ret Paladin (Bubble)
    Warlock (Dark Bargain)
    Mage (Iceblock, Greater Invis)

Wondering what the best group split would be with our comp.

Is it also recommended to not use long CD immunities in the first transition so they'll be up for the second, when the ability hits harder?

Thanks in advance for any pointers. Hoping to get a kill tonight.

---------- Post added 2013-04-11 at 08:12 PM ----------

Also does each quadrant only ever get 2 static shocks? Is it just bad RNG if someone without an immunity gets two in a row?
    And one more thing, what would 2 healing change? Both the Paladin and the Priest(me) can DPS
    Last edited by Notdev; 2013-04-11 at 08:18 PM.

I don't have enough time to address all your questions but I'll divulge a few things from what got us our first kill last night.

Switch up the order to disable the static shock first and diffusion chain second. As long as your players are competent and spread out along the abilities' circular outlines you won't have many diffusion chain adds to deal with during the transitions. In P2, level chains once and get it to 90 energy and switch, get the others to 80 and then move to the center so he isn't charging up any quadrants and stack up, AOE heal during the time needed to get him to 30%, lust if needed (hopefully your DPS is good enough to have him around 35-38% by the time you move to the center)

The tanks should be in separate groups with at least one range (preferably one that can single soak a static shock in T1) to kill diffusion chain adds during the transition (as not to get the melee killed by the add's chain lightning). This will cover any double bouncing lighting RNG.

Every group is different, but this way definitely made it much easier than the other methods we've tried.

Good luck!

When we killed it, we used the 2/2/3/3 split with 2 tanks in one group, and one healer in each of the other groups for the first transition. For the second transition, we were split 3/3/4, though now that I think about it, it might be better to split it 2/4/4 with both tanks in one group. Tanks don't get static shock, so that would allow 4 people to stack for it if necessary.

We placed Warlock Portals to connect the North and South conduit. The south conduit was always the last one before a transition, so this made it easier for the north group to get in position. Also, don't be afraid to Stampeding Roar to make it easier for everybody else to get in position. This helped us quite a bit I think.

For the second transition, static shock does hit quite hard. I was in a group of 3, and if we all stacked up we would survive with 10-20% health. It might help to put your Disc Priest in the group with the fewest immunities / fewest people so that he can build up shields on the group before static shock goes out. Also, you've got two Pallys which means 2 Devotion Auras. So, if you split your priest and two pallies up into seperate groups, you have a raid wall for each one.

We used the Fatboss strat of eliminating the East and North conduits. I don't know when you're lusting, but consider saving it for the second phase. We found that we didn't have the DPS to push through the second phase with only 1 conduit leveling up unless we used Bloodlust.

There is some RNG invovled. I seem to recall one attempt where our HPally got 3 static shocks in the second transition. We stacked up for two of them, and we survived both times. He did die as the phase ended though because the quadrant that he was on (north) became electrified right after Static Shock went off.
    Last edited by Arkhangelsk; 2013-04-11 at 08:51 PM.

Deleted
    Tanks can solo a quadrant (not sure of all classes though), and cannot get targeted by most of the mechanics. If you get two bounces, then you simply kill the add that spawns. Sometimes you can even soak both bounces solo if they're close. So you could do 1/4/1/4 first, and then 2/4/4 for the 2nd. Or 1/3/2/4 if you have one tank who can solo a quadrant.

Note that energy also increases damage on the conduits. So static shock at 90 energy will do a lot more damage than if it only had 10 energy in the first transition even if it didn't level up. If you have enough dps in the first phase, you can even avoid giving the static shock conduit any energy.

Druid can get deterrence from the hunter, which is a shorter CD than Iceblock. Pallies should use US, so, unless your raid DPS is really high, they can Bubble each transition as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paraalso View Post
    Tanks can solo a quadrant (not sure of all classes though), and cannot get targeted by most of the mechanics. If you get two bounces, then you simply kill the add that spawns. Sometimes you can even soak both bounces solo if they're close. So you could do 1/4/1/4 first, and then 2/4/4 for the 2nd. Or 1/3/2/4 if you have one tank who can solo a quadrant.
    We tried this but apearantly this means that the non-tank groups will get 2 out of 3 abilities at the same time no? I was one of the tanks so couldn't really see what was going wrong or if the others just messed up, but combining either static shock or overcharge with diffusion chain seemed to destroy 1 of the 2 groups always. Or are we doing something else wrong?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    We tried this but apearantly this means that the non-tank groups will get 2 out of 3 abilities at the same time no? I was one of the tanks so couldn't really see what was going wrong or if the others just messed up, but combining either static shock or overcharge with diffusion chain seemed to destroy 1 of the 2 groups always. Or are we doing something else wrong?
    Mostly just need good discipline with spreading out when there's a Diffuse coming, and stacking after it's over. Diffuse is typically paired with Overcharge, so you are spread out until Diffuse hits, and then stack immediately after on the overcharge person. If you're ever getting more than one lightning add per diffuse, people aren't spreading out enough. Warlock portal helps tremendously with getting people to the right platform in time.

2nd transition is much easier than the first one if you disable Diffuse, because each group can just stack on the same spot through the phase in their quadrant, and always return there immediately after taking bounces. Your mileage may vary though, and you might find it easier with disabling Static Shock instead. Then you'll need to do the spread out->stack thing in both phases. It'll mean you'll need to get the Static Shock conduit to high energy for phase1, though. Phase1 is much easier to survive if SS conduit has little energy. You can have him between pillars for a moment to gain more time.

We do 1/3/2/4 with the other tank having a dps who can solo two static charges, so there'll be three groups for the abilities to target.

Deleted
    We do 1/3/2/4 with the other tank having a dps who can solo two static charges, so there'll be three groups for the abilities to target.
    Yeah we'll probably also attempt a 1-2-3-4 split up this week like that, and we let diffuse overload as well first time around.
    Just to make sure I get the conduit thing correct:
    1) Leveling it up makes the respective ability happen more frequent.
    2) The conduit's ability hits 1% harder for every 1 power extra it gains.
    What is not clear though, does leveling a conduit up also make it hit harder? For example a conduit leveled up once with 90 energy would hit more frequent and for an extra 190%, or just happen more frequent and with 90% extra damage?

That being said, last week in phase 1 if we pushed them correctly we pretty much had the 4th conduit not charge up at all (or close to at least, should be no problem at all this week with new gear). Is it smarter to go for something like 96-90-90-0 or 72-68-68-68?

Edit: just noticed you said "Phase1 is much easier to survive if SS conduit has little energy." so that answers that. Try aim for 96-90-90-0 then.
    With this amount of dps in mind, any tips for phase 2? What do we let get highest there?
    Last edited by mmocfb5d9aca2a; 2013-04-12 at 05:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh we used 2/2/3/3 for first transition, and 2/4/4 for second transition. The group of 2 is a Mage, and me (Holy Paladin) we basically just bubble / iceblock the Statics in both transitions. The other group of 2 in the first transition is the two tanks. Then in second transition we move one tank to the first group of 3, and one tank to the second group of 3. Keeping the tanks together is bad as they cannot get static/overcharge which increases the amount of abilities the other groups need to deal with simultaneously.

We use a Warlock Gateway from the quadrant where we end up phasing him to the opposite corner. So groups can get back in position quicker.

96-90-90-90 or 72-60-60-60 is entirely the same, as all the conduits level up during transition. However with the latter you probably don't have enough dps to phase him before the last conduit you are at levels up. I'd suggest to push the first one to about 92-94, and on the next ones just change conduits after a Thunderstrike. The timing should be spot on if you stay at the first long enough.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2013-04-12 at 10:12 AM.

Deleted
    use 1-3-3-3 split for the first transition, having your blood Dk solo the quadrant. not sure if they caans survive static stock with AMS, but if not just pray he doesn't get it, your setup is very bad for this fight, basicly meaning you don't have any hybrid for the last quadrant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowl View Post
    use 1-3-3-3 split for the first transition, having your blood Dk solo the quadrant. not sure if they caans survive static stock with AMS, but if not just pray he doesn't get it, your setup is very bad for this fight, basicly meaning you don't have any hybrid for the last quadrant.
    Tanks don't get Static, so the Blood DK can easily do that, and their setup is really not that bad to be honest. Seems near similar to ours.

Deleted
    We did it like this,

Starting on EAST going clockwise (East being the highest)
    1-1-4-4 (tanks soloing, super easy)
    Starting on NORTH going anti clockwise. Use the knockback as a guide to change tower. You don't have towers in P3 so the levels are only relevant for the transition at this point so it doesn't really matter if some of them level up.
    2 healers, 1 tower leveled up in P2 (apart from the normal transition level up) and we didn't give static shock any energy (so it was hitting for 4k*200)

First transition was really the only 'hard' part in the fight. Everything else is super easy. We have 19 wipes total and killed it on our 20th.

---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 11:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    96-90-90-90 or 72-60-60-60 is entirely the same
    Its not, the damage of the towers are increased by their level and energy. For example the Static Shock tower deals 4000*(TowerLevel*100)+energy). So if your tower is level 2 and you have 67 energy it will deal 4000*267=1,068,000

Try and see which abilities are killing you and why, if its due to high damage try and keep their energy as low as possible. With our setup we had pretty shitty control with static shock, so we didn't even drag the boss to the tower and instead of 1mil damage we had 800k
    Last edited by mmoc18646deaeb; 2013-04-12 at 11:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    96-90-90-90 or 72-60-60-60 is entirely the same, as all the conduits level up during transition. However with the latter you probably don't have enough dps to phase him before the last conduit you are at levels up. I'd suggest to push the first one to about 92-94, and on the next ones just change conduits after a Thunderstrike. The timing should be spot on if you stay at the first long enough.
    The conduits level up with a transition, but they keep their energy until the transition is over. So for example

Phase1 96-90-90-90 (lvl 1 conduits)
    Phase change 96-90-90-90 (lvl 2 conduits)
    Phase2 X-0-0-0 (lvl 1 conduits, X deactivated)
    Last edited by mmoc7960b93d6c; 2013-04-12 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Fixed phase2, thanks ccKep

Deleted
    we did 4-4-1-1 - killed off static shock first

Deleted
    The conduits level up with a transition, but they keep their energy until the transition is over. So for example

Phase1 96-90-90-90 (lvl 1 conduits)
    Phase change 96-90-90-90 (lvl 2 conduits)
    Phase2 X-0-0-0 (lvl 2 conduits, X deactivated)
    They level down again after the Intermission, so Phase 2 would be X-0-0-0 (all at level 1).