Poll: Duration of "Soon" in your eyes

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Your definition on the word "Soon"

We all know our favorite blizzard uses the word "soon" in a joking manner normally It will mean from them 1 to 2 months on average other developers of games label soon as about a week. A curious poll when/if you use the word "soon" to describe a future event how long do you normally mean.

Me personally soon is 1 to 2 hours for most things, like I will be there soon is under 1 hour , or if i'm working on a project I will have it done soon will be roughly about 2 hours.

Deleted
    It much depends on the situation it is used. For daily activities yes i'd agree a 1 - 2 hour thing.
    When it comes to releases of "stuff" i'd said everything from 2 months to a year.

"Soon" is Blizzards way of saying "we have no idea". They don't like saying "we have no idea" so they came up with their trademarked chickens way out of making promises.

Soon is a relative word and it's meaning is dependant on the situation. If my mom asks me "when do you want dinner" and I say soon it'll mean around an hour. If I were to talk about how long it is until the sun dies in a timeframe based on the life of the universe I would say soon and it'll mean 5 billion years.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Soon™" is basically "We're working on it, but we don't want to release a specific date because people would quote us on it and harass the dev team."

Depends on the context. It can be anything from a few seconds for rapidly changing systems to millions of years when you're talking about galactic scale events.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemiki View Post
    "Soon™" is basically "We're working on it, but we don't want to release a specific date because people would quote us on it and harass the dev team."
    That's always been my interpretation of "Soon". A smart and safe way of informing the player base, without getting exceptions too high and allowing for some wriggle room.

Depends on context. In WoW it means yeah, like a month or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

"soon" = when it's done

10+ Year Old Account
    This is kinda of a pointless question because it obviously depends on the topic / context.

Turbine used to use "soon" all the time as well. I basically chalk it up to "it's coming, but we can't really put a date on it yet".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    This is kinda of a pointless question because it obviously depends on the topic / context.
    This pretty much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivet View Post
    It much depends on the situation it is used. For daily activities yes i'd agree a 1 - 2 hour thing.
    When it comes to releases of "stuff" i'd said everything from 2 months to a year.
    ehh this pretty much, but to expand on it
    soon for a paycheck = 2 days or so.
    soon for finishing off a mortgage = within 1-2 years
    soon™ for a Blizzard? less than 6 months.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Soon for Blizzard is at least 6 months or so.

Sooner than never but later than now.

"Soon" depends on the context. In science "soon" can easily be longer than 10 years, same with technology. Even when you, for example, go to the cinema's with a friend and he says he'll pick you up soon, it can mean different time periods depending on how long you still have before the movie starts.

Quote Originally Posted by makominami View Post
    We all know our favorite blizzard uses the word "soon" in a joking manner normally It will mean from them 1 to 2 months on average other developers of games label soon as about a week. A curious poll when/if you use the word "soon" to describe a future event how long do you normally mean.
    When Blizzard uses soon it could mean years. There is no actual time associated with it, they just mean "it will happen sometime."

10+ Year Old Account
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Soon

Now ----| Soon |---- entropy of the universe / end of time.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Soon has no specific timeset. It is wildly dependant on what scenario it is used in.

Asking at 11:30 am when there will be lunch and getting "soon" as anwers sure lets you expect to have eaten by 12 or latest 12:30.

Going to a construction site where an Airport is beeing built since 7 years and asking when it will be ready. Now getting the answer "soon" will let me expect a ready airport within a year.

It's just meant to acknowledge that a feature/title/etc. is actively in production.