10+ Year Old Account

Heroic 25 man Megaera Guide (giveaway!)

Heroic Megaera Guide is out! Due to me now being a youtube partner I am celebrating by giving away a free month gamecard! Make sure you like the video, comment, and are subscribed to my channel to be eligible! Thanks

Last edited by RuffwarWoW; 2013-04-12 at 01:11 AM.

Deleted
    Not really sure who this is aimed it. Lacks many details, I was skeptical when I saw it was 2 minutes long, even more so when the intro took 30 seconds.

Deleted
    He covers the need to know stuff, assumeing you've done the normal mode version. The fight is fairly straight forward :3

True it doesn't give much details but it should be enough to manage a kill.

A few things I would add (so that people who read this thread have the full picture) :
    - stack fire patches/ice beams as much as possible, really it's the only "tricky" thing in this fight
    - the number of adds depends of the numbers of heads and where they are, you can have between 0 and 4 spawns / phase

Also 8 healers ? Why ? We started with 7 and dropped one to bring a 3rd tank, I don't see why you need that many healers.

10+ Year Old Account
    We 8 healed it because we were missing a couple main healers, and had to have people offspec heal. Berserk timer isn't an issue on the fight at all, so we didn't have a problem with it.

Oh you didn't post this one on our forums yet.....

Oh right we passed your guild in progression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xade View Post
    Oh you didn't post this one on our forums yet.....

Oh right we passed your guild in progression.
    lol grats?

Thats... Pretty horrible, to be brutally honest. You say that the arcane adds are the only new mechanic, and don't even mention how to deal with them apart from "aoe stunning" them and using a frost DK to grab aggro. Taunt banners and solar beams are far more efficient than wasting one of your DPS'ers potential to do max dps, and stuns go on a DR while solar beam does not.
    You're also wrong that the adds are the only new mechanic - all of the heads does something different from normal.
    -The ice patches expands over time, thus kiting them in a straight line next to each other to minimize the spread is essential for a clean fight.
    -Fire debuffs drops a patch of fire every 3 seconds instead of just when dispelled.
    Cleaning up ice with fire debuffs becomes extremely important due to this, which you completly neglected.

You also neglect to mention how the fight develops - for example, on the fourth, fifth and seventh head, you have far more adds than on any others, due to two arcane heads being up in the back, rather than one. On the other hand, on the third head, you have no adds, due to no arcanes in the back. Thus for most guilds, CD's and pots should be used on 4th/5th head, and lust on 7th, due to the higher DPS required to not be overrun.

If you're going to make a guide, atleast make sure it covers everything, rather than spending half the time on a flashy intro, a dumb video clip and a non-relevant ending.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did state that throughout the fight there would be more adds to kill. You are right that I could have probably said why there were more adds to kill. You can never please everyone. Go into too much detail and people complain of the video being too long. In this case, go into too little and it's all of a sudden a bad guide. Kiting fire into ice patches is technically a normal mode mechanic, which I have been trying to steer clear of. Regardless, if you don't think my guide would help people with the encounter I would think you are extremely mistaken.

I don't know, "There are adds you have to stun and interrupt" is really all you said. Rampage is a normal mode mechanic by your definition here too. You just glossed over every part of the fight that made it heroic (The adds, despite being new, are probably the easiest part of the fight).

Quote Originally Posted by RuffwarWoW View Post
    I did state that throughout the fight there would be more adds to kill. You are right that I could have probably said why there were more adds to kill. You can never please everyone. Go into too much detail and people complain of the video being too long. In this case, go into too little and it's all of a sudden a bad guide. Kiting fire into ice patches is technically a normal mode mechanic, which I have been trying to steer clear of. Regardless, if you don't think my guide would help people with the encounter I would think you are extremely mistaken.
    You wanted opinions, and you got one from someone who's also done the encounter. If people are "this far" into heroic modes at this point of the tier (only 154 Mag HC kills), either they know what they're doing and won't NEED a guide, or they won't mind spending 2 minutes more hearing about effective ways to deal with the encounter. You said "Plan your CD's. Stun/interrupt adds, group them with a frost DK in blood presence, don't kill poison head". That's it. Your entire guide can be summarized in 20 words, and said out loud in ten seconds flat.

Again - if you want to make a guide, you actually make a "good" guide, you need to include the tips and tricks that people won't already know. Else it's just a waste of their time, when it brings nothing new to the table - and when you miss out on huge things, like the changes to ice and fire debuffs, the dungeon journal is far more reliable. Give people the tips and tricks to beat the encounter instead of being a worse version of the journal.
    Last edited by Dracodraco; 2013-04-14 at 12:36 AM.

Killing the poison head is actually a viable strategy, instead of killing arcane a 2nd time, killing poison will make it so you don' thave to deal with 3 spawns of arcane adds per set, which makes the last head an absolute joke, plus, it also helps with tank healing, as there won't be a head with 120% haste/atk speed wrecking him.

Quote Originally Posted by CausalXXLinkXx View Post
    Killing the poison head is actually a viable strategy, instead of killing arcane a 2nd time, killing poison will make it so you don' thave to deal with 3 spawns of arcane adds per set, which makes the last head an absolute joke, plus, it also helps with tank healing, as there won't be a head with 120% haste/atk speed wrecking him.
    This is also true, and something that would be included in a proper guide - you can either opt for high tank damage+many add spawns (viable for a comp where you have, say, 4 solar beams aviable through boomkins/ele shamans, so you can just ignore the adds while burning the head), or you can opt for high raid damage (if you use "more than normal" healers, +8, and have enough raid cooldowns to power through the poison bombs. Usually, you won't want to kill adds on the last head regardless, so the most common tactic is just letting the poison head be and ignoring adds while powering head under lust.

As someone who has been watching your guides to help my guild progress for a while now I have to agree with Draco and say this was very lackluster. We've had about 2.5 hours worth of progression on this boss so far and it took maybe 2 attempts to figure out the hardest parts to deal with are going to be how to take care of the ice patches and how to deal with the extra adds once the arcane head gets killed and you failed to answer both of these problems in the guide.

I don't want this to sound too harsh, as your guides have been helpful in the past, but a 2 min guide to a heroic encounter where a minute is taken up by the intro and random video clip isn't very helpful to the guilds that are already at this point of progression. We, as Draco said, are looking for the tips and tricks that many guilds may miss for the first 10 or 20 attempts.

This is from a 10 man standpoint so I know things can eb widly diferent, but would you guys say doing Blue > Red > Purple > Blue > Red > Green > Blue is a viable strat ? This way you could have poison bombs only during the last head where you gona pop hero anyway and by the time the bombs start landing youve already ate trough a large chunk of the last head anyway.

About the guide I didnt quite like it, way too short dont discuss strategys at all and has a completly needless "fun" part in the middle of the fight explanation with serves no purpose realy. Not an attack against you OP, I apreciate the effort and since I dont raid much per week Im one of the guys that uses other guild/ppl guides frequently but I think you could do much better with a lets say 4 min guide, itd still be a small straight to the point guide but would have some meetier content.

I'm wondering if the following order would be viable in 25 man heroic. I'm not sure how hard green hits for.

Blue (1 Set of adds at a time)
    Red (1 Set of adds at a time)
    Green (No adds)
    Blue (No adds)
    Red (No adds)
    Purple (No adds)
    Blue (2 sets of adds)

I just noticed that in heroic the green head casts 3 acid rains at once, might not be viable, but still interested in what people think.

The poison Bolts hit like a truck (or 3 trucks), you really shouldn't kill any venomous head IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Recom View Post
    The poison Bolts hit like a truck (or 3 trucks), you really shouldn't kill any venomous head IMO.
    Yeah, I was just asking cause we did a bunch of pulls last night and did the norm... leave the green head up. Was curious as to how hard they hit and if it would be effective. From the looks of it, it won't be.

On PTR they were hitting 1/2 our health pool at max range with a 532 ilvl. So yeah they hurt.