Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

5.3 Mage Changes

Mage (Forums, Talent Calculator)

- Arcane Explosion (Arcane) Causes an explosion of arcane magic around the caster, causing [ 359 + 39.3% [ 503 + 55% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage to all targets within 10 yards.
    - Arcane Explosion (Fire, Frost) Causes an explosion of arcane magic around the caster, causing [ 359 + 39.3% [ 503 + 55% of Spell Power ] Arcane damage to all targets within 10 yards.
    - Blizzard Ice shards pelt the target area doing [ 1,920 + 209.6% [ 2,688 + 293.6% of Spell Power ] Frost damage over 8 sec and slowing enemies by 50%. 100 yd range. Instant.
    - Blizzard Ice shards pelt the target area doing [ 1,920 + 209.6% [ 2,688 + 293.6% of Spell Power ] Frost damage over 8 sec and slowing enemies by 50%. 5% of Base Mana. 35 yd range. 8 sec cast (Channeled).
    - Flamestrike (Arcane, Frost) Calls down a pillar of fire, burning all enemies within the area for [ 237 + 25.9% [ 475 + 51.8% of Spell Power ] Fire damage and an additional [ 496 + 13.5% of Spell Power ] Fire damage over 8 sec.
    - Flamestrike (Fire) Calls down a pillar of fire, burning all enemies within the area for [ 237 + 25.9% [ 475 + 51.8% of Spell Power ] Fire damage and an additional [ 496 + 13.5% of Spell Power ] Fire damage over 8 sec.

4/15/2013

General
    - Arcane Explosion now deals 40% more damage.
    - Blizzard now deals 40% more damage.
    - Flamestrike now deals 100% more initial damage. Periodic damage remains unchanged.

Talents
    - Living Bomb periodic damage has been increased by 121%. Its explosion damage has been reduced by 78%, but now scales with additional periodic ticks added by haste, and hits all nearby targets (up from 3).

Thoughts:

The changes to our AoE was great and drastically needed. Still a little confused on the combustion change, my guess is they are a little worried about fires scaling still, we'll just have to see what happens, remember it's still very early in the PTR cycle guys!
    Last edited by Wobe; 2013-04-16 at 03:05 PM.

The buffs to our AOE overall will be a good change, but the nerfing to Combustion I mean as it is now once you reach the crit breakpoint and get decent RNG seeing ignites as high as 140ish k is great but rare. I personally think they should of put this nerf in when 5.4 comes out not in 5.3 which will be released while many guilds are still trying to progress and finish out the tier.

15+ Year Old Account
    The combustion one is just a tooltip fix, it's already 50% of ignite on live.

I guess the AoE changes are nice for mindlessly spamming Blizzard on trash, though.
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

It does look like they are changing blizzard to a instant cast 8 second duration spell much like warlock rain of fire? Nice buff there for frost mages if its the case. When frozen orb is done, put up a blizzard and continue to ice lance when proc. Maybe can be used on a single target boss fight as well to generate more FoF procs?

Indeed Combustion is already as the "spell change" says.

As for the AoE changes, It's nice that they finally grew balls and buffed them. And it even seems they are going to tune them differently for all specs, so that change is more than welcome for fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post
    I guess the AoE changes are nice for mindlessly spamming Blizzard on trash, though.
    You wouldn't though, as Arcane Explosion does more damage and Flame Strike does even more. So if anything it will be Flame strike on cd, and AE if you can get close and Blizzard if you can't.

---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 01:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skidd View Post
    It does look like they are changing blizzard to a instant cast 8 second duration spell much like warlock rain of fire? Nice buff there for frost mages if its the case. When frozen orb is done, put up a blizzard and continue to ice lance when proc. Maybe can be used on a single target boss fight as well to generate more FoF procs?
    Still channeled, so nope. Although Blizzard as a whole is kinda outdated spell, as its both channeled and fixed spot for 8 seconds.

Flamestrike also has a built in Blast Wave snare now for fire too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Methusula View Post
    Flamestrike also has a built in Blast Wave snare now for fire too.
    this isn't new at all. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=2120 it's like that since 5.0

And seems like I was wrong, the new Blizzard does more damage than AE, You will Flame Strike on cd still though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroblade90 View Post
    this isn't new at all. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=2120 it's like that since 5.0
    Derp. Shows how much I've been using Flamestrike lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously the change to Combustion is just a tooltip change. So that's a huge relief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NmezusBL View Post
    Obviously the change to Combustion is just a tooltip change. So that's a huge relief.
    Combustion already hits like a wet noodle, a 50% nerf would probably not be that noticeable anyway... *sigh* Why did they have to nerf it so badly since Cataclysm. We could've at least kept the Pyroblast DoT component for it.

Click signature for main character's armory.

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea behind Blizzard change is that we use that for AoE instead of Nether Tempest.

Not accomplished.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they are buffing blizzard to make it worth putting on our bars?
    Oh wait, they also buff AE and flamestrike.
    So the point of buffing blizzard was....?

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

LOL Akraen. Mage AOE is dead and gone. No point of even trying when you got classes that can multi dot in one GCD (Hunter / Warlock / DK) or even classes that can spam their main nukes while another AOE is already going (Boomkin / Warlock).

Day in the life of Mage AOE:
    While we stand there and attempt to dot everything one at a time with NT and eventually start channelling our weak blizzard spell O wait they all dead already! Mage sits on the bottom of AOE pulls crying. Or even better your arcane and attempt to use your arcane explosion spell, forgo the dotting and stand in melee range and spam, pull aggro for some obscure reason because blizzard think its a good idea to have AE high on the aggro generation list and then get one shorted because you are soft like tissue paper. Again Mage sits on the bottom of AOE pulls crying.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    My 60 mage's original netherwind set bonus..after 8 years it's nerfed. Whies? WHIES? D:

Deleted
    I fear that they're going to nerf NT in return...

did someone seriously just say that combustion hits like a wet noodle

Quote Originally Posted by Skidd View Post
    Mage AOE is dead and gone.
    I really miss Cata. Don't remember if it was the 2nd or 3rd boss of DS, but during the black phase,
    getting a huge combustion -> blast wave (impact proc) -> spreading it to all the adds was a lot of fun.
    Or if its PvP, in Alterac Valley when massive hordes are crossing the bridge headed to the alliance base,
    you could spread combustion to so many hordes lol

It felt really nice and I miss it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iso View Post
    My 60 mage's original netherwind set bonus..after 8 years it's nerfed. Whies? WHIES? D:
    Same question:
    Can someone wiser explain this. I dont get it. Why nerfing T2??

The sole balancing factor of capless combustion was the uncertainty of whether you'd actually get an Impact proc in time and even then it was overpowered, suggesting we go back to it but this time with Impact we can use at any time is just not going to happen
    Yes I miss it, but it never had a chance of staying