Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Honestly? He deserved to be fired.

I think you are free to say whatever you like on facebook or twitter, so long as you make it clear its your own thoughts and you don't have your company name linked to your name. If you say stupid stuff while representing your company, you're doing it wrong.

As a side note, I think anyone being fired because of personal comments towards their employers is silly too. I think it should be an employee's right to tell their boss they are being an asshole if they are indeed acting like one. Minor authority =/= immune to being a jackass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see why they hired him as a "creative director" because he had a creative way of directing himself to unemployment.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post

As a side note, I think anyone being fired because of personal comments towards their employers is silly too. I think it should be an employee's right to tell their boss they are being an asshole if they are indeed acting like one.
    Indeed, but it's also an employer's right to fire anyone putting out their dirty laundry like that. Like it or not you are representing that company and there are repercussions for what you do.

There was a middle school teacher here recently that put out some provocative pictures of herself on twitter. She was fired because of it. Just remember before you push send, you can't take it back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's why you don't say stupid shit on the internet.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i guess you could say his job is nolonger.... *puts on sunglasses* ALWAYS ON @_@ YEAH!!!!!!!
    Ive seen this exact comment on reddit lol
    Last edited by nachoo; 2013-04-12 at 03:44 AM. Reason: lol
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    My uncle lost his job for calling his boss an ass on facebook, and no hes wasn't stupid enough to be friends with his boss, it still got back to him anyway. Its actually a huge phenomenon now, people losing their jobs because of shit they say on social media.
    Nowadays potential employers will go onto Facebook and try to find your profile as sort of a pseudo background check. People don't realize that anything they put online with their name attached to it WILL be used against them at some point.

---------- Post added 2013-04-11 at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Honestly? He deserved to be fired.

I think you are free to say whatever you like on facebook or twitter, so long as you make it clear its your own thoughts and you don't have your company name linked to your name. If you say stupid stuff while representing your company, you're doing it wrong.

As a side note, I think anyone being fired because of personal comments towards their employers is silly too. I think it should be an employee's right to tell their boss they are being an asshole if they are indeed acting like one. Minor authority =/= immune to being a jackass.
    If they can use what you say online against you in a court of law, why shouldn't your employer be allowed to use it in your dismissal? Seriously, what freedom do you believe that you have that would allow you immunity from negative backlash? Yes, you have your freedom of speech, but you do not have freedom of employment wherever and under whatever conditions you damn well choose unless you're the one calling the shots. Calling your boss an asshole? That's fucking stupid. Even if they are acting like an asshole it doesn't mean that gives you the freedom to say it to their face (or in any public setting) when they hold your livelihood in their hands. If you don't want your personal comments used against you, keep it to yourself. You don't need to share it with the world. And if you do you're a fucking moron that deserves whatever repercussions come from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, good bye. And good riddance, you moron.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

My uncle lost his job for calling his boss an ass on facebook, and no hes wasn't stupid enough to be friends with his boss, it still got back to him anyway. Its actually a huge phenomenon now, people losing their jobs because of shit they say on social media.
    Obvious solution: don't talk shit about people on social media? I mean really, is it that hard?
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

So he's been fired, what's the chance he trips and falls in to a volcano now? I'd love to see that.

I think my favorite thing about this whole event with this moron was one of the tweets I saw in response. Shortly after he made these comments he set his tweets to private, and someone fired back with "Funny, for someone who believes in always-online that you've now blocked out the entire internet." or something of that sort.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awww now he's out of a job, #Dealwithit

I'd laugh if he ends up working in a place like Walmart or something LOL wouldnt that be funny.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Awww now he's out of a job, #Dealwithit

I'd laugh if he ends up working in a place like Walmart or something LOL wouldnt that be funny.
    He'll probably get a job with EA.

Losing his job over some stupid little Twitter comment is pretty overkill and speaks volumes of today's ridiculously uptight, narrow-minded and hysterical society. On the other hand, it also speaks for itself how even presumed professionals sometimes aren't beyond acting like complete dorks and stumble over the whole social media craze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    That's why you think for a split second and don't talk shit about your employer in a public setting. It's not a huge phenomenon, it's people being dumb and getting called on it.
    I'm actually pretty sure if you set your page's status to private, it pretty explicitly implies anything discussed on it is supposed to be private

but fucking retarded people who speak the English language but can't comprehend a single word of it ruining everything for everyone else isn't exactly news

Edit: I just want to say this was not directed at anyone specifically, because i'm almost positive that it will be misconstrued that way

Yeah, really young people have a huge advantage with this stuff, you grew up with it. For older people who have non-internet jobs/lives this stuff is all coming very fast and furious. I have an older friend, about 60, and just trying to teach her about phishing email from her ´bank´. Their lives were so different, I ended up having to explain how the FDIC wouldn´t help her.

It is one of the reasons I hate Facebook (as a company not a product). They know a substantial portion of their userbase is grandmas who just want to share and see pictures of grandkids, yet they expect them to be pretty internet savvy in order to set up privacy properly. Privacy should be defaulted ´on´ and not require 15 different places to all be changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I find it quite sad that people are cheering about someone losing their job over something as trivial as this.
    Well, he was kind of a dick. I don't really care if he lost his job or not, I just want Microsoft to learn from the response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it quite sad that people are cheering about someone losing their job over something as trivial as this.
    This is the twitville era and, well, twits who certainly should no better publicly acting like arrogant ignorants shortly before a major reveal that their companies have dozens if not hundreds of millions wrapped up in and their competitor's product is already ahead? Well, once you take the context into account its a hell of a lot bigger public screwup than "trivial."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    He'll probably get a job with EA.
    Oh god. He would complete his training for being a Master Douchebag then.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

When you're in a high position within a company, you have to be very careful on social media. You are still a representative of your company on your personal accounts whether you like it or not. So when you're essentially confirming something that the company won't even acknowledge (he did), and you're being a colossal dick to a group of people (i.e. gamers who don't like always on DRM and people who don't happen to have 100% reliable connections), you're going to get in trouble. I don't know if he deserved to be fired, but this is a pretty serious thing for them. Look at how long the discussion threads in this forum were, because they were just as big elsewhere, and there were just as many negative articles written.

This guy caused a pretty huge PR shitstorm for them. PR shitstorms generally lead to firings except in the case of a C-level executive.

Personally, I'm kinda happy he's gone. I don't want someone working in the gaming industry who has contempt for those that aren't as fortunate as himself, and arrogantly trash talks them through social media. Not only is that a douchebag thing to do (and I don' like douchebags being creative directors), but it's a stupid thing to do over social media. If you're dumb enough to do that, I'm seriously questioning how much thought you're putting into everything else you do.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Losing his job over some stupid little Twitter comment is pretty overkill and speaks volumes of today's ridiculously uptight, narrow-minded and hysterical society. On the other hand, it also speaks for itself how even presumed professionals sometimes aren't beyond acting like complete dorks and stumble over the whole social media craze.
    It's not being narrow-minded to see that and feel like this guy doesn't give a shit about you as a customer. Last time I checked, Microsoft was interested in having customers. Pissing them off isn't the way to go about it. Had the backlash not been so severe, Microsoft likely wouldn't have done much of anything

He was a high profile employee of Microsoft that was saying stupid shit on Twitter that pissed off customers. He deserved to be fired. When you're in the spotlight you have to be careful of what you say and telling people to just #dealwithit isn't good customer relations. His little "joke" about living in a small town with crappy internet service rather than a large well connected city is where he really crossed the line though.