Thread: Warframe

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Warframe

Despite the previously mentioned and failed post about this game I feel the need to replenish its roots.

Warframe is a digital reincarnation of ME3's MP with flare. As a huge fan of ME3 MP I think I feel fine in backing such a free to play game such as Warframe.

This game has repetitive levels and repetitive enemies but honestly if ME3 had the content and leveling/crafting variety of Warframe, I would still be playing it. This game is just outstandingly good in all forms for being free. Like seriously, it's free. Play it with your friends in a group for free. Earn more abilities and grind out new suits. It's Ninjas in space. Come on.

The graphics are sick (reflective and shadowish - is that a word?) and the gameplay is ME3.

The best I can say is try it out. It is fun solo but a blast co-op. And it cost jack shit.

You're welcome.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been on it due to obliterating PoE and D3 there's really nothing else much to play here other then my main game which is dota anyway as you've stated it IS repetitive like you are going to do a lot of grinding. It's a well polished game I mean really for a free 2 play thing.

Keeps my schedule to at least a few times a day not omfg d3 / PoE 24/7 style but neverless it quite fun if you do like this type of genre in terms of repetitive stuff.

I've been playing Warframe for a few weeks now, netted a total of 108 hours and I have invited (succesfully) my friends (2) to come play. We set up a private clan and we're slowly progressing towards "end-game". Warframe is really fun, although somewhat repetitive.

So I figured, let's give you a semi-accurate description of what Warframe is.

https://warframe.com/

Introduction:
    Warframe is a third person shooter that handles the F2P model exactly the way you are used to in games such as LoL. Everything, literally, in the game can be obtained by playing it. A few exceptions might be, but I'm not sure, special "headgear" (1 per Warframe), that shift stats around (ex; less movement speed, but more health) and decorative gear such as wings for your Sentinel (will explain later). Pretty much the same as having to buy Runepages for real money only in LoL. You don't really need them, but if you want them, you'll have to pay with real money.

The premise:
    You are a Tenno. Tenno are Warriors that wield devestating weaponry and carry special abilities within their armors called Warframe. You've been brought back from cryostasis to fight an alien invasion. During your missions you learn to make better use of the weapons you wield. Unlocking special abilities of your Warframe and special attributes within the weapons themselves.

The Gameplay:
    The game starts from the lobby, with locally hosted (no dedicated servers) instances of the mission. There are several options that allow you to play solo, private, online (the multiplayer variant) and I believe even offline. A mission is hosted by one of the players in your group (normally the party host, but in matchmaking no one knows who that is) which can cause lag, but that entirely depends on the hosts connection and location. The game has the option to select a "base" such EU-West, EU-East and probably the American versions thereof.

When you start the mission, there's a special personal objective for that mission, that is displayed shortly in the bottom right corner. Ex; "Kill 30 enemies with your pistol". This special objective is different/random for every player and varies in difficulty from easy to hard, in the sense that some are absolutely unobtainable, due to simply not being present in all missions, or due to a limit of 40 enemies in a mission and 4 people that try to get kills. These special objectives grant bonus XP, which is relatively neglectible,since missing a few won't really set you back. Once the box, that shows you what your objective is, is gone, you might have trouble finding out what it is they want you to do.

You start every mission with your primary, secondary guns and a melee weapon of choice (only weapons you have crafted/bought/are available to you). These weapons can be altered in the lobby interface and they can be upgraded with mods and catalysts. Mods drop completely random and are dropped by all types of mobs. Bosses have special loot-tables with a higher chance on mods and possible rare components/blueprints for crafting. All items/gear that level up have a maximum level of 30. For each level, the item in question gains one point. Every mod has its own cost in points, often ranging from 2 up to 10. Upgrading any mod (fusion, will mention this later) will add 1 to the cost of the mod. Catalysts double the amount of points a weapon has, maxing it to 60 instead of 30.

On top of that, some weapons come with symbols in the mod slots. Mods also have symbols in their upper right corner. If the mod symbol is identical to the one in its mod slot, the cost is halved, rounded up. (9 becomes 5). Reversely, if you place a mod that does not match the symbol in a mod slot, the cost is increased (although not doubled). Slots without symbols do neither.

Mods are displayed like cards in TCG.

You can upgrade mods by performing "fusion". Fusion is a process that allows you to fuse other mods with the selected mod, which increases its level. The fusion XP requirement is exponential. An example; If you fuse a mod with that same identical mod (several times) the cost will increase as follows: 1,2,4,8,16,32. The amount of times a mod can be upgraded depends on the mod and is visually represented by black stripes on the left side of the mod, which turn to white once upgraded. One white stripe per upgrade, until all black stripes are white.

Mods can be fused with any other mod, but the cost and efficiency may vary.

Mods come in a multitude of flavours. I'll list some below:

Weapon mods:
    - Faster reload.
    - Higher fire rate
    - Fire damage with burn debuff (DoT + might stun some)
    - Lightning damage with lightning debuff (might stun some)
    - Cold Damage with cold debuff (slows and might freeze)
    - extra damage
    - faster swing speed (melee)
    - Armor piercing (adds damage with armor piercing attribute)
    - Armor penetrating (penetrates physical armor such as shields)

Warframe mods:
    - More health
    - More shield
    - More armor
    - Faster run speed
    - More stamina
    - More energy (to cast abilities)
    - Less energy cost (efficiency)

Once you finish a mission, you are awarded with ingame currency (not the real money variant) and experience for all your gear, with more bonus experience for the weaponry you used the most.

Obtainability
    Obviously, how quickly (aka; not Korean grinder) you can obtain gear and warframes determines how much of a true F2P this game really is.

- All mods can drop nearly anywhere, but there might be a hidden level requirement to rarer mod drops (not to equip though).
    - All crafting components can drop nearly anywhere, from mobs and chests. Some rare components only drop from (a) boss(es) or specific mobs.
    - Blueprints (for crafting) drop from specific bosses, come as rewards for special "Alert Missions", are granted through the daily login bonus, can be obtained from Void Missions (more on that later) or can be obtained through the store with ingame currency. All self-crafted items come without Catalyst.
    - Catalyst Blueprints can only be obtained through Alert Missions that have a "?" in the reward window. It's random, so you might get it, or never get it. RNG. Obviously not having a catalyst will impact your gameplay due to reduced mod capacity in your gear. Catalysts can be bought from the store for 20 Platinum, which comes down to roughly (580p = €26) 1 euro.
    - Warframe Blueprints drop from bosses only and every boss has his own "set". To craft a Warframe, you need to have the Headgear, the Chassis and the Systems for one model. EXample; Banshee Chassis, Banshee Systems, Banshee Headgear. You would then have to buy the Blueprint for the Warframe itself, which requires the Chassis, Headgear and Systems as components. The cost of the Warframe Blueprint is ingame currency only, meaning no real money is involved. It's a total of 35k, which is a lot in your early career, but I'm floating at and around 300k at the moment and wonder what I'm going to spend it on next. To give you an idea.

Special Missions, Rare drops
    There are two types of special missions. One of them are Alerts, the other are Void missions.

Alerts are missions that only sometimes occur. Warframe has a Twitter page to keep you updated and they normally also reveal the rewards in that twitter page, opposed to the question mark in the display in-game. Alerts are normal missions with higher difficulty, more rewards (ingame currency) and occasionally a "?" in the reward list. Alerts are the only place to obtain specific types of components, or their blueprints.

Void missions are unlocked by keys. These keys can be obtained by doing Defense missions. Defense missions are tiered reward missions, that reward you with a random item (mostly mods) for every 5 waves you manage to complete. Every (harder) tier you complete, increases the chance on rare mods and void keys. These keys allow the host of the game to open a void instance, with special (harder) enemies and generally more rewards (xp and ingame currency). All void missions draw from a special loot table with the possibility of obtaining stronger weaponry called "[weapon] Prime". All Prime gear/warframes require more and rarer components than regular gear. Keys can also be obtained through other means, but in my experience, Defense missions is where it's at. I advice running defense missions with friends, since the awarded item is identical for all players, allowing you to, by luck, run 4 void missions for the price (no cost to running a mission, just a phrase) of one Defense run.

Weapons and Warframes
    Available weaponry, including but not limited to, perse;

Primary (rifle/shotgun):
    - Snipers
    - Bow (sniper type)
    - Full Auto
    - Semi Auto
    - Shotguns
    - Burst
    - nailgun

Secondary (pistol):
    - Full Auto
    - Semi Auto
    - Shotgun-ish
    - Burst
    - nailgun

Melee:
    - Fists
    - Axes
    - Swords
    - Polearms
    - Staves
    - daggers
    - Dualwield axes
    - Dualwield swords
    - dualwield daggers

Warframes:
    - Not going to list all warframes, but there's tank types, dps types (fire, lightning, poison, etc), one healtype, stealth types, support types. Each warframe has 4 unique abilities (mods) and 6 mod slots to fill with mods that fit your character. Most Warframes can be found and crafted by yourself and come without catalyst.

Sentinels

Sentinels are sentries that hover above your head. They can be obtained through the store (blueprint for ingame currency or directly for real money). They can be leveled, modded and carry a gun that can be leveled and modded. They are squishy at first, but once you upgrade their hp/shield and armor, they live longer and dish out more damage. Currently damage dealt by Sentinels is not counted towards any total, which is why I occasionally end missions with below 5% damage done, because my Sentinel killed most enemies on its own. This mostly occurs when I play lower level missions.

Everything you buy with real money comes with catalyst.

What about the game itself?
    This is personal, but the game looks slick, the levels are randomized "blocks", much like classic Diablo II, where you recognize every individual block, but the path never leads from and to the same points. Occasionally there are "rare" blocks that really look amazing.

Movement is great. You can wallwalk, jump-slide, ground-slide, slide-attacks, jump-attacks. The only thing I'm occasionally annoyed about is the fact that you need to finish your current motion before being able to cast an ability. Perhaps only reasonable, but gameplay-wise, it feels a bit clunky sometimes.

For all other information I would like to refer you to the WIKI.

Edit: I forgot to mention one important part. The only thing you absolutely need to buy, in time, are Warframe slots and weapon slots for your arsenal. Much like the classic additional character slots. You start with some, but they're limited. All real money purchases (frames/weapons) come with their own slots included.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-06-24 at 12:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing with it for a few days now. Its not bad at all, but like other F2P+MT games? It can feel very grindy if you are not willing to spend cash on it. Which I'm not.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I've been playing with it for a few days now. Its not bad at all, but like other F2P+MT games? It can feel very grindy if you are not willing to spend cash on it. Which I'm not.
    In what sense :P LoL is also just grinding one or two maps over and over.

Arguably, you could obtain all warframes, excluding the primes, within 3 weeks, if you really tried. Which is not bad for a progression game. You can also build all weapons right off the bat. Most components can be obtained at midlevel, around 20-30.

An example;
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-06-24 at 03:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Never bothered with LoL so couldn't make comparisons. One example would be suggested levels. Mercury to Saturn and Venus. Both Saturn and Venus have higher suggested levels but I still haven't even hit two yet. So I grind the Mercury levels over and over again.

Never bothered with LoL so couldn't make comparisons. One example would be suggested levels. Mercury to Saturn and Venus. Both Saturn and Venus have higher suggested levels but I still haven't even hit two yet. So I grind the Mercury levels over and over again.
    But the max level is 30, while the max mission lvl is up to 100

You should run as high as you can, although running Defense missions like Gaia (Earth) and Kiliken (Venus) in succession might help you get mods and xp at the early levels. And try going to Kappa (Sedna) for really massive xp. You won't even need to be of equal level. Unless you solo everything

Addressing repetitiveness, it's not more or less repetitive than say, running Mephisto or Baal in D2. You need to be able to like that sort of grind, but at the same time, drop chances for regular non-primegear are always in the 10's of percentages, never in the 0.1's
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-06-24 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    LoL might be about grinding maps if you were only playing against minion waves. There is nothing grindy at all about LoL - you're playing against real people and the map is completely extraneous to the match.

It's like saying CounterStrike is grindy because you happen to play on the same map - the map has nothing to do with the actual point of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    LoL might be about grinding maps if you were only playing against minion waves. There is nothing grindy at all about LoL - you're playing against real people and the map is completely extraneous to the match.

It's like saying CounterStrike is grindy because you happen to play on the same map - the map has nothing to do with the actual point of the game.
    Doing anything too much will turn grindy after a while. LoL is no exception. Nor is Warframe. Nor is Counterstrike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doing anything too much will turn grindy after a while. LoL is no exception. Nor is Warframe. Nor is Counterstrike.
    That's just patently untrue though. Doing anything too much may burn you out on it but it doesn't change the fundamental nature of that which you are doing.

If I play soccer every waking hour of every day that doesn't make soccer a grindy game. No matter how burnt out I get playing it, the game itself doesn't change - and the game itself has no grind in it.

That's just patently untrue though. Doing anything too much may burn you out on it but it doesn't change the fundamental nature of that which you are doing.

If I play soccer every waking hour of every day that doesn't make soccer a grindy game. No matter how burnt out I get playing it, the game itself doesn't change - and the game itself has no grind in it.
    Running from left to right on a soccer field, with a ball, trying to score a goal. Rinse repeat. Yep, grind. And every field is the same. Let's agree to fundamentaly disagree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Running from left to right on a soccer field, with a ball, trying to score a goal. Rinse repeat. Yep, grind. And every field is the same. Let's agree to fundamentaly disagree.
    Good god, that has got to be the most asinine thing I have ever read. You can't just make up your own definitions and run with them.

Good god, that has got to be the most asinine thing I have ever read. You can't just make up your own definitions and run with them.
    And yet, you just saw me do it and be right at the same time. So I guess we really can't take your word for it :P That said, I don't mind that we don't share the same opinion. I'm not promoting this game for my sake or pretend it's a glorious coming of a new messiah. I'm just enjoying the game personally and noticed it never got any proper attention

Feel free to say and think whatever you want about it, or me.

I just noticed you might be taking your Avatar level (upper left corner in the lobby) for the targeted level, but it's very hard to obtain even lvl 4 within 3 weeks time. The levels they mention are what the mobs are in that mission and it's up to you what your Warframe can handle, according to you. I hope your Warframe is at least lvl 5 to 10 by now, which should be enough to do most 10-20's.

Additional edit:
    Why for the love of god do gamers no longer explore their own limits, I wonder.........
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-06-24 at 04:15 PM.

Got really sick of this game very fast. Not mainly because it's repetitive, but because every mission - even the defense ones - too much time is spent running around looking for enemies to kill. The greatest part is when you have to kill specific numbers of enemies, and some of them are hidden in places (or in places that I already went through but it's stuck down a shaft or something and the indicator is pointing me in some incorrect direction), or when they decide to chill at the spawn points in defensive mode (at 4-5 different spawn points for added fun), or when I'm just doing one of the fucking countless "normal" missions that serve absolutely no purpose other than to be a source of irritation but I still have to do them to get to the planets that I want.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    I just noticed you might be taking your Avatar level (upper left corner in the lobby) for the targeted level, but it's very hard to obtain even lvl 4 within 3 weeks time. The levels they mention are what the mobs are in that mission and it's up to you what your Warframe can handle, according to you. I hope your Warframe is at least lvl 5 to 10 by now, which should be enough to do most 10-20's.
    Odd, thought that's what it meant. That may be on me then. Tried the first Saturn one after Mercury, with a couple of randoms, and got completely destroyed.

Odd, thought that's what it meant. That may be on me then. Tried the first Saturn one after Mercury, with a couple of randoms, and got completely destroyed.
    It's still possible. The game does somewhat rely on getting mods. Like vitality, which gives you 40% HP per level of the mod. Without, you might quickly lack 50% hp. It's a common and drops like..constantly.

Got really sick of this game very fast. Not mainly because it's repetitive, but because every mission - even the defense ones - too much time is spent running around looking for enemies to kill. The greatest part is when you have to kill specific numbers of enemies, and some of them are hidden in places (or in places that I already went through but it's stuck down a shaft or something and the indicator is pointing me in some incorrect direction), or when they decide to chill at the spawn points in defensive mode (at 4-5 different spawn points for added fun), or when I'm just doing one of the fucking countless "normal" missions that serve absolutely no purpose other than to be a source of irritation but I still have to do them to get to the planets that I want.
    I understand the frustration. Yes, it's true, occasionally mobs get "lost" or stuck. Not in the volumes you speak of though, I personally never encountered more than 2 in one mission and it doesn't happen in most missions. The target indicators are occasionally wrong, or unclear, but only very occasionally.

Nothing I would personally throw a fit over, but to some, this might not suit their taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm using mods and fusions. Maybe I just had some bad randoms. I've upgraded my primary, secondary, and foundryed a new melee, as well as modding them. I'll try Saturn again tonight and we'll see how it goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a decidedly average run and gun affair, I have spent a few odd hours here and there, its worth $10 and no more. I would like to get more in to the clan side of things but tough to motivate myself.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Its a decidedly average run and gun affair, I have spent a few odd hours here and there, its worth $10 and no more. I would like to get more in to the clan side of things but tough to motivate myself.
    To build/expand a clan, you'll need some dedication, which means playing the game. If the game is not to your liking, you might not feel better in a clan. Although a fully built clan could perhaps give you PvP and other options.

Although I disagree with the statement of 10$, but that's because I value my games by how much actual time I spend enjoying myself. Since my current gametime is triple that of an AAA title, I've spent 50 so far. Not for progress, just convenience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye just a personal opinion, its a well polished game, I just think Ive paid less for more, god mode was $10 was terrible, so maybe $15 :P. Its not that its not to my liking, I really am in a weird place with games though and motivating myself to play anything has been near impossible recently.