Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Aethas Sunreaver in 5.2

So I completed the final scenario on Isle of Thunder, and I couldn't help but notice a tiny detail and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. This was most likely noticed already back when this stuff was on the PTR, but I'd like to open it up for discussion again.

Of course, the little detail I'm speaking about comes up in the final dialogue between Jaina and Lor'themar:

Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: Hand over the Archmage and I may yet allow you to walk out of here, Lor'themar.
    Lor'themar Theron yells: Proudmoore! You will release my people from the Violet Hold, or I will cut you down myself!
    Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: Your people are legitimate prisoners of war. They orchestrated an attack on Darnassus from MY city-
    Lor'themar Theron yells: The Sunreavers knew NOTHING of Garrosh's raid on Darnassus.
    Aethas Sunreaver shifts uncomfortably.
    The last line, of course, being the key. Do you think this is a hint to Aethas's possible complicity? I know it may just be a small emote, but for such, it seems to stick out way too much.

Personally, I would never view Aethas as a Garrosh loyalist; it certainly would be terribly out of character for him. However, I think it may be possible that he was very well aware of the actions of some of the more complicit Sunreavers, and while not agreeing with them, he turned a blind eye towards them. Or perhaps Garrosh and/or some of his goons are threatening and blackmailing him? I could find this plausible and interesting, too.

What do you think?

Deleted
    Obviously Aethas helped garrosh Without Lort'Themar's knowledge..

Deleted
    It's kinnda old for people who've seen the PTR spoilers, but ok.

The main question is WHY?

Up until now Aetheas has always been bent on keeping blood elves bound to Kirin Tor, due to their 2000 yrs old alliance history, even when the Sha fragment got released in Silvermoon during 5.1 and posessed him, he was bent on keeping neutrality with them, despite Rommath telling him they should just cut away already.
    So why would he suddeny turn 180°?

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadow View Post

Up until now Aetheas has always been bent on keeping blood elves bound to Kirin Tor, due to their 2000 yrs old alliance history, even when the Sha fragment got released in Silvermoon during 5.1 and posessed him, he was bent on keeping neutrality with them, despite Rommath telling him they should just cut away already.
    He could have been forced into the situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    It's obvious, garrosh invited aethas for dinner and gave him EVIL spaggethi made from pit-lord flesh (meatballs of pure EVIL). After eating it aethas turned EVIL, and due that we can expect more EVIL apperances.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Obviously Aethas helped garrosh Without Lort'Themar's knowledge..
    Could be, but if this was the case, I'm certain he would have never helped Garrosh willingly. He could ended up as Garrosh's puppet through blackmail, and this could be part of the reason why he thinks that "Sin'dorei must be freed from the yoke of the Horde", just as he yelled when he almost got possessed by the Sha.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    He could have been forced into the situation.
    Garrosh has a way with words.

And by words I mean he's like 600lbs of muscle.

Garrosh: "Nuke Darnassus"
    Aetheas: "No."
    *Garrosh raises his axe*
    Aetheas: "Good point. Let's go."

Looks like Aethas did indeed know what the Sunreavers were doing for Garrosh. Now, was it willingly or blackmail? Can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessMil View Post
    So I completed the final scenario on Isle of Thunder, and I couldn't help but notice a tiny detail and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. This was most likely noticed already back when this stuff was on the PTR, but I'd like to open it up for discussion again.

Of course, the little detail I'm speaking about comes up in the final dialogue between Jaina and Lor'themar:

The last line, of course, being the key. Do you think this is a hint to Aethas's possible complicity? I know it may just be a small emote, but for such, it seems to stick out way too much.

Personally, I would never view Aethas as a Garrosh loyalist; it certainly would be terribly out of character for him. However, I think it may be possible that he was very well aware of the actions of some of the more complicit Sunreavers, and while not agreeing with them, he turned a blind eye towards them. Or perhaps Garrosh and/or some of his goons are threatening and blackmailing him? I could find this plausible and interesting, too.

What do you think?
    Yep, noticed that little action back in a late ptr vid before it went live. Hard to say where his allegiance lie. Aethas doesn't seem like a loyalist, I just went through what there for him on WoWpedia, and there's not thing there at all to indicate that he's sided with Garrosh. In fact, most of it makes it seem as though he detests Garrosh and that the warchief is forcing them down the same path as Kael'thas.

I agree with the blind eye theory. He may have thought the situation would either fail or nothing would come of it... maybe *shrug*

Maybe we'll find out about that eventually. Either that or Blizzard is just messing with us...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadow View Post

Well because he had his own intentions about Dalaraan. He thought after Rhonin he could fight (politically) for Dalaraan.
    It makes sense. He agreed to help Jaina on the Theremore war, Why ? Because he knew what would have happened and with all the kirin tor he sent one of his people to "do the job". And After Death of Rhonin He could claim dalaraan for Horde. But Things chaged unexpectedly. When Jaina became leader he just DiD that awful thing and brought verdict to his people.

Aethas had Planned everything from beginning. From Theremore. He wanted to deal with Nigh elves too. Vareesa Hated Blood elves and wanted to get rid of him ! So with one shot he would kill two rabbits. Rhonin and his loved wife. He would get rid of High elves instead.
    Last edited by Spichora; 2013-04-12 at 07:31 PM.
    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

I pointed this out in the thread of possible SoO bosses. Personally,I would take this as he's not quite what he seems. Either it's because A) He knew full well of the Sunreavers' actions in the Darnassus infiltration (a minor offense) or B) He's more loyal to Garry than he's letting on. Personally I just want to fight him in one way or another.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Garrosh has a way with words.

And by words I mean he's like 600lbs of muscle.

Garrosh: "Nuke Darnassus"
    Aetheas: "No."
    *Garrosh raises his axe*
    Aetheas: "Good point. Let's go."
    That sounds like a Garrosh tactic right there, yes it does lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would this make him a loyalist to Garrosh? The rebellion hasn't started yet people, he was actively working under Garrosh's direct orders at the time and had no reason to say no other than his own reservations about his tactics. I also doubt he planned on being caught and he's clearly not gonna openly admit it right in front of Jaina and Lor'themar .
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Why would this make him a loyalist to Garrosh? The rebellion hasn't started yet people, he was actively working under Garrosh's direct orders at the time and had no reason to say no other than his own reservations about his tactics. I also doubt he planned on being caught and he's clearly not gonna openly admit it right in front of Jaina and Lor'themar .
    No you are mistaken. HE had not any rights to take orders from Garrosh because he was part of Dalaraan council and HE WAS MEANT TO BE NEUTRAL. Even Kirin Tor (mostly humans) had to talk on summit to help Jaina for war in Theremore. Dalaraan, my friend, was neutral until that action.

What do you think?
    It was noticed but people want to believe what they want to believe despite conflicting information. The things we know are that at least a few sunreavers are responsible. We have yet to discover If what Aethas says is a carefully planned ruse or not but all we have to go on is what he says. He says he is innocent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spichora View Post
    No you are mistaken. HE had not any rights to take orders from Garrosh because he was part of Dalaraan council and HE WAS MEANT TO BE NEUTRAL. Even Kirin Tor (mostly humans) had to talk on summit to help Jaina for war in Theremore. Dalaraan, my friend, was neutral until that action.
    He was ordered to follow Garrosh by Lor'themar...
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    He was ordered to follow Garrosh by Lor'themar...
    So first rude action was that. He was part of Dalaraan. Sunreavers were part of Dalaraan too. If Kirin Tor did that they would for sure started rebellion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or perhaps Garrosh and/or some of his goons are threatening and blackmailing him? I could find this plausible and interesting, too.
    I could see this happening. It would be an interesting way to set him up as very different kind of boss in the Org raid; not a bloody maniac out to maraud and pillage because LOK'SHA OGAR WE ARE THE TRUE HORDE, but a guy stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Depends how they explain it though. It's quite a jump from what we've seen of him before now.

Maybe Garrosh saw what's under his mask...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spichora View Post
    So first rude action was that. He was part of Dalaraan. Sunreavers were part of Dalaraan too. If Kirin Tor did that they would for sure started rebellion.
    But they did when Jaina (the leader of the Kirin-tor) used her magic wards to try to hide the bell in Darnassus in the first place...

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you ever think that Aethas helped Garrosh but against his better judgement, and the events that occured in dalaran is something he feels responsible for, but not willing to admit to.
    to me, this would be a very good character development if it was the case, its a very real emotion, someone does something because they are pushed into it, feels the regret of having done it, and keeps quiet about it.