Time to switch to fire? need help

hi yall, iv always loved fire, but i do know it only becomes competitive once you reach a certain crit. With the past few upgrades iv gotten, iv worked out i will have 30.19% crit once i do all the reforging and regemming and stuff. Is this a decent amount enough to switch? or too early and should i stick with frost for the time being?

heres a link to my charc: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...astar/advanced

Your opinions will be very helpful! thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    Hi. No, 30% is not nearly enough. At least for me it wasn't and the numbers were way below Frost.
    Also - any reason why you gem haste so much? You should be putting Brilliant gems into red sockets and Reckless into yellow...
    Haste is best secondary stat for frost, yes. But 1 int > 2 haste...

Ok, ill stick to frost.

In terms of the gems, idk lol i find having the haste makes the playstyle so smooth. I'm not having that much issues in dps, still pulling decent numbers. E.g. on our recent Ji-kun kill i did ~130k. But what the hell, i guess i can try out the int build tomorrow for durumu.

There is a reason we gem straight haste but its based off your gear. It didn't paying off for me until ~514 ilvl

Deleted
    I don't know.. I wouldn't say 30% is too low..

I'm 25% unbuffed.. I can't remember what it is in a raid, but I pull an average of 100k.

I think if I went frost, it'd be worse, as I'm much better at playing fire.

So I guess it depends on which spec you think you're best at..

here's my armory btw: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...cimal/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't notice gains in damage/dps from switching to fire from frost until I was over 36% crit. Right now I am around 38.7% raid buffed and pulling between 100k on shitty fights like durumu to 140k on fights like animus/council(sans 2 pc t15 ).

To be honest you don't really need to even go fire, frost is fairly consistent in terms of damage where as fire can be very RNG at times(more often then not for me...).
    The gap between the two specs isn't huge.

I would consider swapping, if you are set on fire(which can be loads of fun getting a massive ignite rolling), around 515Ilvl+ and around 37%+ raid buffed crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke-Hex View Post
    I don't know.. I wouldn't say 30% is too low..

I'm 25% unbuffed.. I can't remember what it is in a raid, but I pull an average of 100k.

I think if I went frost, it'd be worse, as I'm much better at playing fire.

So I guess it depends on which spec you think you're best at..

here's my armory btw: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...cimal/advanced
    If you went Frost you would be better. I did a full ToT clear yesterday on my 494 Frost Mage and pulled an average of 100-110k on most fights. When I swapped out my gear pieces for Twin Consorts I was at ilvl 504 (lucky me) and did a comfortable 122k.

Fire is too streaky at lower crit levels. All depends on the nature of your guild of course, but mine would not accept me playing a spec that is outperformed by another one at my current gear level.

I like the consistency of Frost, but Fire is still more fun and actually better at certain levels of crit. Personally, I'm swapping at a comfortable 40% crit.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-04-15 at 10:41 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzan View Post
    Hi. No, 30% is not nearly enough. At least for me it wasn't and the numbers were way below Frost.
    Also - any reason why you gem haste so much? You should be putting Brilliant gems into red sockets and Reckless into yellow...
    Haste is best secondary stat for frost, yes. But 1 int > 2 haste...
    30% is "nearly enough", just depends on how good you are as a player and how you can capitalise on building Combustions properly. I started raiding Fire at 31% fully buffed and I haven't looked back.

Also, 1 Int > 2 Haste only to a certain point. For OP it's fine but if you have two RPPM trinkets, 2 Haste > 1 Int.

@OP, Nether Tempest > Frost Bomb for Frost and Super Intellect on Bracers > Mastery.

Just go with whatever you feel comfortable with. Fire can be frustrating at any level of crit, it's just about how you manage it.
    Last edited by mmoc7cd3c912a5; 2013-04-15 at 01:08 PM.

Deleted
    Switch to Fire.