Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    I don't think that MoP is going to wind up increasing WoW's subscription numbers. But I'm not sure that anything on Earth or in Heaven could do that. WoW is most likely as popular as any game of its genre could possibly be at this point in time and space.
    I did giggle at the folks who claimed pre-launch that MoP will get WoW back to 12 million. I think WoW's ship has sailed and that a decline is all that is left. I expect a massive drop after the end of the next Xpac. I do feel bad for the guys at Blizzard who are working extremely hard on the newer content. If we continue to see a steady decline, some of their best work may be missed or dismissed because of what Xpac it was in.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    WoW activity, as tracked by WCR, showed a big peak and decline after MoP came out. It then largely flattened out, maybe a very slight decline. In Cataclysm, the prolonged decline was stronger.
    On a somewhat funny side, If Blizzard maintains their currently schedule goal. MoP may lose less people than other Xpacs because it will be the shortest of the Xpacs. If so, now we'll have to use fancy math in arguing which Xpac had the greatest and least losses. don't forget to carry the 2!
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-04-16 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    On a somewhat funny side, If Blizzard maintains their currently schedule goal. MoP may lose less people than other Xpacs because it will be the shortest of the Xpacs. If so, now we'll have to use fancy math in arguing which Xpac had the greatest and least losses. don't forget to carry the 2!
    I think the biggest danger for sub numbers is going to be not long after 5.4 when people have seen most of the content and a lot of players focus their attention to alts. Unless you are right that this is going to be a short expansion I think unless they have a serious rethink about the gear catch up system then I think we'll be seeing losses in similar numbers to Cata.

On a related note to WCR, Xfire is showing an almost 20% decline in activity since the beginning of the year but whether this translates in similar loss of subs remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-04-16 at 12:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I think the biggest danger for sub numbers is going to be not long after 5.4 when people have seen most of the content and a lot of players focus their attention to alts. Unless you are right that this is going to be a short expansion I think unless they have a serious rethink about the gear catch up system then I think we'll be seeing losses in similar numbers to Cata.

On a related note to WCR, Xfire is showing an almost 20% decline in activity since the beginning of the year but whether this translates in similar loss of subs remains to be seen.
    I seriously hope 5.4 won't be like cataclysm where we have one tier/season for 1 freaking year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I agree with this. Also, I tend to get more PvP focused at the end of an expansion, but if they don't fix up casual PvP (gear disparity mainly) that's not going to be worthwhile.

I've really wondered how LFR is going to be handled in the final raid. If there's no strong incentive to use it to gear up, then LFR-only players will run it once and unsub until the next expansion. In Cataclysm the idea was you'd do LFR, then move on to normals, but it's not clear there's enough of that audience left.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    I seriously hope 5.4 won't be like cataclysm where we have one tier/season for 1 freaking year.
    I'm so confident that is not going to happen, that I'm going to go out on a limb right now and predict new Xpac announced at Blizzcon with a release date as early as January!

I've really wondered how LFR is going to be handled in the final raid. If there's no strong incentive to use it to gear up, then LFR-only players will run it once and unsub until the next expansion.
    5.4 or whatever SoO is, will become super Alt friendly and we're be back to running 3-5 alts a week

we're be back to running 3-5 alts a week
    I already do that. >.>
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I-like-chocolate-milk View Post
    No , blizzard isnt happy , they are losing a lot of money , and we all know how much blizzard loves money .
    What money are they losing? While there was an initial hemorrhage in subscriptions in Cataclysm, their profits did not wane and actually rose steadily.
    Blindingly defending Blizzard; ignorantly trashing Blizzard. Both require an emotional investment that I'm unwilling to give. I'll take reason, logic, facts, and the willingness to accept that I may be wrong. At the end of the day I'll have nothing to account for and I may even have learned something.

Overall, I think MoP has been a great expansion (especially when compared to cataclysm). As the OP hinted at, despite the expansion being great, I've actually been turned off more by this expansion more than any other simply because I feel like there is way more than I can possibly do. I do not have as much time to play the game like I use to, and because there is so much to do I sorta have a "I don't have time to do it all, so why try..." type attitude. True, I never was able to do it all before either, but I was at least able to do as much as I had mind that I should be able to do.

Even though the content itself really good; WotLK still struck a perfect balance between it all IMO.

Give us back reputation grinds by wearing tabards, and problem solved!

Deleted
    Looking at the PTR patch notes: "Shado-Pan and The August Celestials daily quests no longer have a faction prerequisite to be Revered with the Golden Lotus.". This is Blizzard admitting defeat in their daily quest crusade! Would they make a change like this if they were happy with MoP? The answer is a resounding no, they're not happy with it.

I already do that. >.>
    You're a better man than me. I'm down to 3 alts and with how hard LFR-ToT now I'm struggling to want to run any. Took me 5 hours on Saturday to clear out ToT on the Hunter, with the Flesh shaping halls being the worst of it. And people must be trolling these days, because how is there still people who don't know not to run underneath Garalon ?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Aztrazolo View Post
    What money are they losing? While there was an initial hemorrhage in subscriptions in Cataclysm, their profits did not wane and actually rose steadily.
    Indeed. And they said the loss was concentrated in the East, where ARPU is lower than in the west (just how much lower depends on what fraction of that loss was in China instead of Korea/Taiwan.)

I thought cataclysm was terrible and I am currently enjoying MoP A LOT which I never thought would be the case. The big downside still is 10 and 25 man raiding been made equal but they can't reverse that change. As great as this expansion has been the dessimation of 25 man raiding guilds in cataclysm destroyed realm/faction communities.

It's pretty plain to see the realms that are thriving are ones where GMs and Officers continue to do 25 man raiding because they are the foundations of realm communities.

10man raiding guilds are boring and normally dead outside of raids.

Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    I didn't ignore it. I didn't care about it.
    ...and that's ignoring a guy's entire other point and then dragging on.

Sigh. How rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimitzles View Post
    I thought cataclysm was terrible and I am currently enjoying MoP A LOT which I never thought would be the case. The big downside still is 10 and 25 man raiding been made equal but they can't reverse that change. As great as this expansion has been the dessimation of 25 man raiding guilds in cataclysm destroyed realm/faction communities.

It's pretty plain to see the realms that are thriving are ones where GMs and Officers continue to do 25 man raiding because they are the foundations of realm communities.

10man raiding guilds are boring and normally dead outside of raids.
    This is pretty much spot on! Dare I say it MoP has been great but blizzard killed off a lot of realms that were once thriving with 25 man raiding guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimitzles View Post

I'm curious how you would prove such a point ? When I look at Mal'ganis-US are you saying, it's only a thriving realm because it has 25 man raiding ? Is Illidan-US the biggest server in the US, because solely of Blood Legion's GMs and officers ?

Are you saying that realms that are dying is solely because there is no 25 man raiding there?

When I look on our realm, the top 2 guilds are 25 man, one is even ranked top 60 in the world. Our server pop started dying before Cata, though it nosed dived during cata, but I'm not sure how you can blame that on 10man raiding.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-04-16 at 02:39 PM.

Running alts in the most alt unfriendly xpac of all time..yah no.
    I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.

I'm curious how you would prove such a point ? When I look at Mal'ganis-US are you saying, it's only a thriving realm because it has 25 man raiding ? Is Illidan-US the biggest server in the US, because solely of Blood Legion's GMs and officers ?

Are you saying that realms that are dying is solely because there is no 25 man raiding there?

When I look on our realm, the top 2 guilds are 25 man, one is even ranked top 60 in the world. Our server pop started dying before Cata, though it nosed dived during cata, but I'm not sure how you can blame that on 10man raiding.
    Yeah I think a lot of factors lead to the population decrease, mainly because cataclysm wasn't great. Blizzard have made a good turn around in MoP. Having been a GM of a couple guilds the decline in 25 man raiding guilds was a contributing factor as less players had raidspots each time a guild downsized.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulgore Sweet Potato View Post
    Looking at the PTR patch notes: "Shado-Pan and The August Celestials daily quests no longer have a faction prerequisite to be Revered with the Golden Lotus.". This is Blizzard admitting defeat in their daily quest crusade! Would they make a change like this if they were happy with MoP? The answer is a resounding no, they're not happy with it.
    I like how you paint MoP as an expansion devoid of everything but dailies.

Posted on the wrong screen
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    I like how you paint MoP as an expansion devoid of everything but dailies.
    Wait! There is more to do than just dailies? Care to share? is this some DLC you have to buy ?!?!!? I must know!
    Here's what I think they should be offering at some point.

Some type of special invitation only event that takes place in the capital cities of each faction. This event will feature various types of creatures, maybe even characters from the past, in which you will engage in combat against them and only can win. They could add some kind of structure to the process in which you fight easy creatures at first and then progress to more difficult creatures, they could also assign some form of numerical value to how far you have progressed.

I'd also like to see another system in which I can travel around Azeroth and collect various vanity creatures and then use those creatures in some sort of system in which I am able to spar other vanity creatures, and as the creatures become stronger they would attain new skills. I'd have it offer out various little things like titles and achievements, because everyone loves those.

I have a tons more ideas I should try to sell to Blizzard