Disc priest mouseover macro problem

I'm used to use mouseover macros for healing, worked great while I was in holy, but there's ONE problem in Disc: how to macro Penance to heal while I mouseover, while being able to use it offensively on mobs? I'm not a pro at macros, someone done them for me, currently the macro heals my focus if I mouseover nothing, then heals what I mouseover, then heals myself if none of the 2 previous happen.

How would I do that for Penance? (I was told 2 months ago to not use Penance offensively while healing, and it hasn't been a problem really... but on some very low damage fights, I could use it big time)

If I could add: I guess the macro could work offensively if the selected target was a mob, that would superimpose the healing aspect of Penance. So, If I select a mob, Penance would attack it... then the usual mouseover healings.
    Last edited by DiGG; 2013-04-13 at 05:47 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remove the 'help' near moueover tag, should fix it

Quote Originally Posted by DiGG View Post
    (I was told 2 months ago to not use Penance offensively while healing, and it hasn't been a problem really... but on some very low damage fights, I could use it big time)
    Whoever told you this is misinformed. Penance is almost always better to use offensively. There are really only two reasons to use it directly as a heal; If someone is low and they need to be healed NOW, or to quickly stack grace on someone (like a tank switch).

In all other instances it is better to use Penance offensively. It stacks Evangalism, it does damage (a huge amount), it heals smartly for each tick, decreasing overhealing, and it just does more damage use offensively meaning more healing through atonement than just using it as a heal. The last part will likely change in 5.3 when they nerf Atonement 20%, but all other facts remain true.

As to your actual question, this macro works perfectly for what you described. It will heal your mouseover target as long as it's friendly, otherwise it will cast Penance on your current target.

#showtooltip
    /use [@mouseover,help][]Penance

I think this is what I was looking for:

#showtooltip
    /cast [target=target,exists,nodead][target=mouseover,help,exists][target=focus,help,exists][] Penance

So first and foremost, if I take the time to target something, good or bad, it will be receiving Penance... then mouseover, then focus (if nothing is targetted or mouseover'ed), and finally myself. Sigh, seem good now, right?
    Last edited by DiGG; 2013-04-14 at 12:13 AM.

Try

#showtooltip
    /use [@mouseover, help] Penance; Penance

It should cast penance on a hostile target if selected.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

why so complicated???

#showtooltip Penance
    /cast [target=mouseover, exists][] Penance

is all you need

EDIT:

if you have a mouseover it will go to mouseover
    if you have target but no mouseover it will go to target
    if you dont have target or mouseover it will heal yourself
    Last edited by Atfirst; 2013-04-14 at 12:34 AM.
    CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12S | Mobo: Asus PRIME X570-P
    GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Superclocked | PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)
    RAM: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) Vengeance LPX, DDR4 3200MHz CL16
    M.2: Intel 1TB 660p 1800/1800 MB/s | SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 500GB | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black
    Case: Fractal Design Focus G | OS: Windows 10 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Atfirst View Post
    why so complicated???
    if you dont have target or mouseover it will heal yourself
    I want to heal my focus if I got no target, before myself. This is why it's "so complicated". The macro I type, would it not serve exactly the purpose I tried to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by DiGG View Post
    I want to heal my focus if I got no target, before myself. This is why it's "so complicated". The macro I type, would it not serve exactly the purpose I tried to explain?
    why would you want that to happen?

If you are talking about PvE healing, what I do is keep boss in target and just heal with mouseover, if no mouse over then penance to boss (target)
    M.2: Intel 1TB 660p 1800/1800 MB/s | SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 500GB | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black

That's the way I want it. When you go all the way into mouseover technique, sometimes in the heat of action, the cursor cannot be over who needs to be healed, by default I prefer it to heal the focus.
    Last edited by DiGG; 2013-04-14 at 02:06 AM.

found this one

#showtooltip Penance
    /cast [target=mouseover,exists,help,nodead] Penance; [target=mouseover,exists,harm,nodead] Penance; [help,nodead] Penance; [harm,nodead] Penance: [@focus] Penance
    /run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

i tested it this must be the one you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    /cast [@mouseover, help] [harm] [@focus, help] [@player] Penance

That is the priority I gather you desire: heal mouseover, then offensive, then heal focus, then heal yourself. You can add nodead into those if you desire.
    seems to do the same as the one above
    Last edited by Atfirst; 2013-04-14 at 02:00 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    /cast [@mouseover, help] [harm] [@focus, help] [@player] Penance

That is the priority I gather you desire: heal mouseover, then offensive, then heal focus, then heal yourself. You can add nodead into those if you desire.

I never had problem with any mouseover macros, what I did was just plain;

#showtooltip
    /target mouseover
    /cast penance

Mostly when I use offensive abilities/atonement I have my mouse button 2 pressed down (to ensure I won't target anyone from the field). When it comes to macros it is pretty much about personal preference, I'd say.

no this is best 1.
    #showtooltip
    [target=mouseover] name of spell

its what of been using for ever now on my priest druid paly and any healer

disc priest healing macros/ui? what happened to tab target to some hostile mob, put penance on 1, holy fire on 2, smite on 3 and press in that order?

For my penance/smite macros I always prefer to use mouseover targetstarget macros. That way I can keep my players targeted/mousedover and just cast. They will always be targeting the boss and my shit will work. =)

Quote Originally Posted by zyonkerz View Post
    For my penance/smite macros I always prefer to use mouseover targetstarget macros. That way I can keep my players targeted/mousedover and just cast. They will always be targeting the boss and my shit will work. =)
    I tried that too, until I realized that healers will be targetting mostly players, unless they have locked target on boss. It is also a bit unreliable if you have target switching in the fight. If it works for you that's great but I wouldnt rely on the raid members targetting the correct mob.