Courageous Primal Diamond [Holy]

Does anyone know if the Courageous Primal Diamond (legendary meta gem) buff is consumed by mana free spells such as eternal flame? The mana balance may even out if it does due to our spells that do cost mana being the most expansive in the game, but it would make the gem seem less appealing. With a combination of Blizzard's brand new mechanic of fun randomness that is RPPM and it procing off of free spells, it may very well be not worth using.

EDIT: I suppose a power aura could track the buff to help ensure the buff is used for spells costing mana only, but most of the time an eternal flame or LoD would be used directly after a cast, seeing as they're instant.
    Last edited by Venism; 2013-04-10 at 03:20 PM.

Our mana consuming spells arent really that expensive; they're less expensive than monk spells and not much different from priest. The difference is they also heal for less - divine light's healing is absolute crap compared to Greater Heal, for example.

Even if free spells do consume it, that just means you have to track it and make sure not to use a free spell if it procs.

The buff grants you 4s of free spell casting (mana costs reduced by 100%). It doesn't matter how many spell you cast during this time.

The buff name is "Clearcasting" and it can ofc be tracked with WeakAura.

Was editing my post before you posted yours

As I understand it priests have a high amount of mana regen due to rapture, and I assume it's similar for monks with mana tea. Holy paladins would have less overall mana regen, but use less mana due to the offset of our free spells. I made the mistake of calling our spells the most expensive, but they are more expansive than most.

Tracking with the buff by looking at the buff or using something like power auras does help, but gcds are wasted in the process. I.E Casing Divine light, waiting to see if you have the buff to cast another Divine light, then using your eternal flame instead of Divine light into an eternal flame. Especially when using holy avenger not using holy power spells instantly after getting 3 is not efficient.

I'm assuming by the responses, that clearcasting will be consumed by eternal flame and LoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Venism View Post
    I'm assuming by the responses, that clearcasting will be consumed by eternal flame and LoD.
    Again, the buff is not "your next spell within 4s will be mana-free" (i.e. it will be consumed). It's "during 4sec your spells cost 100% less mana". You can cast two spells within the duration and they will both be free if you are fast enough.

So WoG / LoD will not consume it and since they are both instant, you can still try to use a non-free spell right after it. Of course you still waste some time waiting for the GCD, but most of the time you should still be able to use a non-free spell or at least cast a flash if the time is really short.

That changes things, my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    Our mana consuming spells arent really that expensive; they're less expensive than monk spells and not much different from priest. The difference is they also heal for less - divine light's healing is absolute crap compared to Greater Heal, for example.

Even if free spells do consume it, that just means you have to track it and make sure not to use a free spell if it procs.
    Not much different from Priests being a mere 6 times more expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    Not much different from Priests being a mere 6 times more expensive?
    what? Gheal is 17.7k, Divine Light is 21.6k

Yes, but you're unlikely to Greater Heal someone that doesn't have a full stack of Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles Malarkey View Post
    Yes, but you're unlikely to Greater Heal someone that doesn't have a full stack of Grace.
    Ummmm. . . . what? He was only pointing out that the previous posters comparison of mana costs were very far off.

Hey my Guildmaster and me wrote a little addon which shows you how much mana you saved by using the legendary meta gem, hope it helps for the decision.

http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/lmgeffective/

Quote Originally Posted by Dubalicious View Post
    Ummmm. . . . what? He was only pointing out that the previous posters comparison of mana costs were very far off.
    Percentage based mana costs are a dick

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    Percentage based mana costs are a dick
    Haha yea :P I have both classes so I just logged over instead of looking it up

Haha yea :P I have both classes so I just logged over instead of looking it up
    I do too, I was just having about 20 conversations on my Paladin and didn't want to be rude lol

Fun Facts:

1) It procs out of combat.
    2) Beacon of Light can trigger the proc.

My opinion? Make it like the druid Clearcasting. Slightly longer duration, slightly more frequent procs, but only one spell limit (and can be wasted by multiple procs if not used).

This way you are encouraged to use the spell and be smart about using it, but paladins (who have a lot of mana free instants) aren't penalized more than other healers. Also helps some priest problems which I've heard about.

[edit] Fun Fact 3) Blessing of Kings/Might procs it.

I take glyph - flash of light and try to put free flash when meta proc (or holy radiance)