10+ Year Old Account
    I have never once seen constellations used to refer to astronomy more than just knowing which is which xD
    But yea the stars don't look hugely different now to what they did then in terms of the light reaching us, whats different is most likely our atmosphere is thicker/more polluted because in cosmic terms, a few thousand years is nothing, we shouldn't be seeing different stars.

Constellations are more fun to think about from a history perspective than an astronomy one imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    That's cool

- - - Updated - - -

Oh but speaking of Astronomy, this is why it's so cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I have never once seen constellations used to refer to astronomy more than just knowing which is which xD
    But yea the stars don't look hugely different now to what they did then in terms of the light reaching us, whats different is most likely our atmosphere is thicker/more polluted because in cosmic terms, a few thousand years is nothing, we shouldn't be seeing different stars.

Constellations are more fun to think about from a history perspective than an astronomy one imo.

- - - Updated - - -

That's cool

- - - Updated - - -

Oh but speaking of Astronomy, this is why it's so cool.
    [video=youtube;hgqoB2kk8f8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgqoB2kk8f8[/vido]
    I'm far more interested in the destructive forces in the universe, like the black hole collision I linked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those can be very interesting, but the most interesting part to me is the search for other planets.
    I can't wait for some of the projects they have cooking up to be launched like the James Webb Telescope, and then we can start finding out these planets compositions

Deleted
    Planet discovery, new lifeforms and habitable planets is what interests me the most. Sucks that space travel still doesn't exist to a point where you can pretty much go anywhere without forsaking too much of your life time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Planet discovery, new lifeforms and habitable planets is what interests me the most. Sucks that space travel still doesn't exist to a point where you can pretty much go anywhere without forsaking too much of your life time.
    Yea I just kind of lump the last two in with discovering new planets since it is unlikely we'll discover life just floating around in a ship xD
    They have surmised that a planet with a high oxygen content = a planet with life so once they start detecting these planets composition, they'll be looking for planets with high oxygen

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Don't think that will ever happen, even traveling at the speed of light it would take several life times to reach most destinations. Think we'll be doing unmanned tours for the coming few hundred years or until we figure out how to send stuff into space cost-effectively. Once we can ship metal and other materials into space cheaper than it was to produce them, then we can start building death stars and then we can go on manned missions

10+ Year Old Account
    Astromony is really cool, because nothing makes you feel more insignificant than the sheer size, scale and destructive force of the cosmos.

- - - Updated - - -

+10

And continuing the Mod chain. :3

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Don't think that will ever happen, even traveling at the speed of light it would take several life times to reach most destinations. Think we'll be doing unmanned tours for the coming few hundred years or until we figure out how to send stuff into space cost-effectively. Once we can ship metal and other materials into space cheaper than it was to produce them, then we can start building death stars and then we can go on manned missions
    I know all of that, that's why I'm always sadden with this subject because it's something that will take forever to accomplish.

+ 8

Think I did fine on ze exam Dinner now!

Also, yey physics and such. Wish I picked something like electrotechnics or so over chemical engineering :|

10+ Year Old Account
    +6

I want lasagna (insert Garfield joke here). But to have lasagna, I have to do the washing up.

My mousey toy for a dishwasher. *sad sigh*

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Astromony is really cool, because nothing makes you feel more insignificant than the sheer size, scale and destructive force of the cosmos.

This makes you feel truly insignificant.

Jev we don't HAVE to travel to the planet to discover life
    But sometimes Science can have sudden leaps forward so you never know in 100 years we might have licked long distance travel

Deleted
    + 5

Deleted
    Hai everybooody! What to do this fine evening?

I want lasagna (insert Garfield joke here). But to have lasagna, I have to do the washing up.
    OMG GIEF LASAGNA!!!!!!!

I wuv lasagna.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    [video=youtube;923jxZY2NPI]http://ww w.youtu be.c om/ watch?v=92 3jxZY2N PI[/ video]
    This makes you feel truly insignificant.

Jev we don't HAVE to travel to the planet to discover life
    But sometimes Science can have sudden leaps forward so you never know in 100 years we might have licked long distance travel
    How else would we go about discovering life if not for sending either a probe or a manned ship? As far as I know we can only calculate the likelihood that a planet is harboring life by studying radiation from and/or around a planet. I doubt that any finding in this area would be conclusive enough to prove life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    How else would we go about discovering life if not for sending either a probe or a manned ship? As far as I know we can only calculate the likelihood that a planet is harboring life by studying radiation from and/or around a planet. I doubt that any finding in this area would be conclusive enough to prove life.
    Well like I said in a previous post they've surmised that High oxygen content will = life so if they detect a planet with a high oxygen content they'll then focus on that planet
    Plus the James Web telescope is supposed to be able to "directly image capture a planet"
    Not sure how that is going to work but assuming it does, then awesome.

Oh here is something on that
    "NIRCam and MIRI feature starlight-blocking coronagraphs for observation of faint targets such as extrasolar planets "

But yea, don't know if they'll be able to say 100% it has life prior to visiting it but 99% or just 80% is good enough for me right now with actual reaching it being too far away.

Deleted
    + 1

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7888827904/hB41D719B/
    Why do you not announce when Sherlock being shown BBC?!
    I only know Elementary.

+ 2