10+ Year Old Account

Help My Raid Group's Resto Shaman

Ugh. I didn't want to do this.

First of all, let me say this: I know resto shaman are critically underpowered, especially in 10N which is what we're running. I know that some fights, such as Garalon, where everyone is spread out, are not good for resto shaman. And I am aware that just because someone is lowest on the healing meters doesn't make them bad -- someone has to be last. I get that.

But.

I've been running with this guy for a while, and he's routinely our lowest healer by a substantial margin. My raid group is basically stuck with him for guild political reasons, so the only realistic solution is to find the problem and fix it. My only shaman is a level 3 bank alt and I can't really tell specifically what he needs to be doing, only that I suspect he could be doing much better.

I won't ask you to look at his gear because that's a whole different nightmare I don't want to inflict on anyone else. I am asking, specifically, for general resto shaman advice. So a shout-out for help for all you successful healers out there, take a look at what he's doing, and give clear, precise instructions as to what he needs to start doing/stop doing/replace doing. Because I really suspect that he needs help.

Huge thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide for his rotation/priority list.

first of all, tell him/her to read the resto shaman guide. its at the top of this page.
    i'll go through some major problems i have spotted:

Spec:

1. He isn't speced into Healing tide totem which is one of the best healing CD in game
    2. He is speced into Unleashed Fury and doesnt use it at all, its 50% more healing...
    3. He took Nature's Guardian which is useless, he should took one of the dmg reduction talents

Glyphs and Gems

1. Glyphs seems fine
    2. He is running with about 8.3K spirit which is a bit low, tel him to change those red gems into purples ones

he/she seems like a clueless resto shaman, not using his most effective CD's and pushing less then 20k hps per fight is just a waste of raiding spot.

he really need to read a resto shaman guide.

p.s. not a native speaker, i hope you can understand my English

stop 3 healing nerfed fights is all i have to say. people cant pull their max potential when you're 3 healing easy fights.

Deleted
    Use healing stream on cooldown.

Have your resto shaman read this:

http://lifeingroup5.com/?p=3508

That article in particular, but there's a lot of good stuff in this blog he/she would benefit greatly from.

On Garalon, I struggled with hps until I yelled at my raid enough to be more grouped up for healing rain as well as other important CDs for crushes. Even kiting pheromones twice during this encounter on heroic I would easily push 60-70k hps as long as my raid wasn't spread all over the place. If they can, make sure they are standing in healing rain. Ranged dps has no excuse to not be grouped up(for the most part) on this encounter.

Also, UF is crap unless we're assigned to heal a tank most of a fight. Have your r sham spec into Primal Elementalist and have him/her pop Fire Ele + use the Elementals ability that increases healing by 10% (I dont know off hand the name of the ability) and then pop HTT on a crush or during heavy aoe on other encounters. It's a huge hps increase. I also like speccing into Elemental Mastery over Ancestral Swiftness and using it in conjunction with HTT or Ascendance. There's some good combos with our CD abilities that can really boost HPS.

My best advice I can give is to do some reading, see what other resto shamans are doing and try it out for him/herself. I've done a lot of stat/spec rearranging to just see for myself what the differences are. Sometimes you just gotta experiment some and find out what works best for you.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The following is what I see here, based on your last try at Garalon as that has the highest length:

-No Healing Tide
    -Healing Rain low uptime
    -Instead of going into Ancestral Guidance which I may have given him some credit, although very little, he chose even the worst out of three, Conductivity.
    -Unleash Life is a bad thing at Garalon
    -No Ascendence
    -Absolute low Healing Stream Totem uptime

Only got one good remark:

-Earth Shield uptime is decent. There was for 1 minute no Earth Shield at all. For the rest of the fight, Earth Shield was active.

He really needs to read some guides and swap from Conductivity to Healing Tide totem.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank all of you for the help so far, and for any future help on the way. I will make sure the shaman is aware of all of these issues. It will take him a while to read it all, but then, there's a lot he needs to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Panayota View Post
    3. He took Nature's Guardian which is useless, he should took one of the dmg reduction talents
    Nature's guardian isnt useless at all. I tend to take it just because its a passive and its got a shorter cooldown of the 3. I found it very useful on a fight like garalon where right after a stomp theres often another tick from pheromones. Anyway I found that quite often I would get hit by the stomp and not have to worry about my health atall because nature's guardian would always save me, thus giving me time to heal everyone else up. And in most fights the same situation occurs. A hard hitting attack hits the raid, I can neglect my hp in order to heal others up first. Ofc in heroics astral shift would probably be better because of the damage reduction when you know a hard hitting attacks going to hit, but the op is talking about normals so natures guardian is perfectly fine.

As others have said, he isnt specced into healing tide which on a fight like garalon would probably give around 3 - 4m additional healing. Instead hes taken by far the weakest healing talent that tier, conductivity which not only requires a healing rain down, it also needs you to cast single target heals, so its not a great talent on an aoe fight or a single target healing fight.
    3 healing also makes shamans much weaker than all other healers because of how our mastery works, increases healing depending on the hp of targets. 3 healing means people will usually be full hp most the time.
    Anyway im just saying things i noticed on garalon, havent had the time to go through the other fights
    He has a shocking uptime of earth shield - 40%, this should be atleast 90%. I mean its almost free healing and also gives 20% increased healing on the target.
    On all the attempts he didnt cast ascendance once. Tbh shamans are ranked lowest of the healers atm but what makes them able to keep up if not beat the others is their cooldowns. Shamans have seriously powerful cooldowns so use them as often as possible in a fight. In a 7min fight you should be able to use all your cooldowns 2 or 3 times.
    It also doesnt look like his healing stream uptime is that great, he SHOULD be using it on cooldown, every cooldown. It such a great smart heal and is usually one of my top 3 healing spells in a fight.
    Not really a healing issue, but it looks like a lot of his deaths were from getting hit by ferocious swipe. No1 except the tanks should be getting hit by that. Its just unnecessary damage. Hm looks like he was also one of the kiters, this will also reduce healing by a bit, although not that much.

Just looking at his armory, looks like hes taken the riptide glyph. First I have no problem with what glyphs people take but riptide is one of those glyphs that make you run out of mana faster and by making 1 of your best instant spells a pure hot also reduces its effect when healing with multiple people healing people up instantly. Anyway I would say riptide has done very low healing since he has the glyph. If hes having even the slightest mana issues, I would also suggest going with glyph of totemic recall. returns an amazing amount of mana throughout a fight. All you need to do is set up a weakaura to track totems with less than 5 secs remaining and recall it for full mana back. It also works well with his totemic restoration talent which shaves a few seconds off a recalled totem.
    Last edited by mjolnrik; 2013-04-16 at 05:51 PM.

Deleted
    Didn't look at the log, but it seems like your shaman needs to improve on many points. To help him make a good use of his cooldowns, you can tell him in advance when to use them.

Main CDs :
    - Healing Tide totem : always usefull for burst healing on the full raid
    - Ascendance, that duplicate healing done and share it on every one in range : more useful when Healing Rain is used, but can still help otherwise.
    - Spirit Link Totem (provide a 10% damage reduction and equalize the health of all people standing in the area) : needs at least 4-5 person in a 6 yards radius, and may be tricky to use. Better plan in advance when your shaman should use it.

Other useful CDs :
    - Spiritwalker's Grace (allow to cast while moving) : can be use as an healing CD on some fights, including Garalon (the better example being Tortos).
    - If he's spec into Primal Elementalist, he should use each elemental at least once per fight. They're nice to have a little healing boost in between bigger CDs.

For example on Garalon, you can setup an healer rotation for each Crush: crush 1: Ascendance, crush 2: Healing Tide Totem, crush 3: Tranquility, crush 4: Tree of Life, etc. Have him use Spirtiwalker's Grace while kiting the pheromones, so that he can continue healing.

Healing cooldowns are a big part of shaman healing, along with Healing Stream Totem. Optimizing their usage can greatly improve your shaman's contribution. I noticed that when cooldowns are not planned in advance, there is a big chance I'll use my Healing Tide Totem during our resto druid's Tranquility, thus wasting both cooldowns. As Healing Tide is often in my top 3 healing contributors, this can greatly reduce my total healing done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnrir View Post
    Nature's guardian isnt useless at all. I tend to take it just because its a passive and its got a shorter cooldown of the 3. I found it very useful on a fight like garalon where right after a stomp theres often another tick from pheromones. Anyway I found that quite often I would get hit by the stomp and not have to worry about my health atall because nature's guardian would always save me, thus giving me time to heal everyone else up. And in most fights the same situation occurs. A hard hitting attack hits the raid, I can neglect my hp in order to heal others up first. Ofc in heroics astral shift would probably be better because of the damage reduction when you know a hard hitting attacks going to hit, but the op is talking about normals so natures guardian is perfectly fine.

As others have said, he isnt specced into healing tide which on a fight like garalon would probably give around 3 - 4m additional healing. Instead hes taken by far the weakest healing talent that tier, conductivity which not only requires a healing rain down, it also needs you to cast single target heals, so its not a great talent on an aoe fight or a single target healing fight.
    3 healing also makes shamans much weaker than all other healers because of how our mastery works, increases healing depending on the hp of targets. 3 healing means people will usually be full hp most the time.
    Anyway im just saying things i noticed on garalon, havent had the time to go through the other fights
    He has a shocking uptime of earth shield - 40%, this should be atleast 90%. I mean its almost free healing and also gives 20% increased healing on the target.
    On all the attempts he didnt cast ascendance once. Tbh shamans are ranked lowest of the healers atm but what makes them able to keep up if not beat the others is their cooldowns. Shamans have seriously powerful cooldowns so use them as often as possible in a fight. In a 7min fight you should be able to use all your cooldowns 2 or 3 times.
    It also doesnt look like his healing stream uptime is that great, he SHOULD be using it on cooldown, every cooldown. It such a great smart heal and is usually one of my top 3 healing spells in a fight.
    Not really a healing issue, but it looks like a lot of his deaths were from getting hit by ferocious swipe. No1 except the tanks should be getting hit by that. Its just unnecessary damage. Hm looks like he was also one of the kiters, this will also reduce healing by a bit, although not that much.

Just looking at his armory, looks like hes taken the riptide glyph. First I have no problem with what glyphs people take but riptide is one of those glyphs that make you run out of mana faster and by making 1 of your best instant spells a pure hot also reduces its effect when healing with multiple people healing people up instantly. Anyway I would say riptide has done very low healing since he has the glyph. If hes having even the slightest mana issues, I would also suggest going with glyph of totemic recall. returns an amazing amount of mana throughout a fight. All you need to do is set up a weakaura to track totems with less than 5 secs remaining and recall it for full mana back. It also works well with his totemic restoration talent which shaves a few seconds off a recalled totem.
    Couldn't convince you to share you weakaura for your totemic recall could I?

Quote Originally Posted by nicebikemate View Post
    Couldn't convince you to share you weakaura for your totemic recall could I?
    Alright sure, this ones just for healing stream totem but I helped someone before so il just copy and paste it

Hey,alright so I have basically set weak auras up to show my healing stream come up in a small icon in the middle of the screen when healing stream has less than 5 second duration left so I can basically recall it when this icon pops and gain the mana back.
    So anyway to do this first open up the weak aura config page with /wa, next create a new icon. under the display tab, make sure cooldown is checked, and i usually change the text to %p as this allows me to see the remaining duration. anyway after go onto the trigger tab, change the type to status and change the status to totem, then the totem type to water and the name to healing stream totem, now you can test this, if you put down a healing stream totem an icon will come up with the full duration in the middle of ur screen. Anyway as I sed before i only have it show when 5 or less seconds remain on the totem, so go back into your setup for the healing stream totem and under the trigger tab click add trigger. This allows us to create another trigger. Then under type click status again. and under status change it to cooldown progress (spell). After change the spell name to healing stream totem. Then scroll down and change the remaining time (with the operator as a < sign) to 20. What this is doing is making the healing stream icon show only if its active and the healing stream cooldown is less than 20, as 20 seconds means the totem has 5 second duration left it works pretty well. Well I hope this has helped to track healing stream totem. If you want to move or resize the icon just move the weak aura options off the icon and then you can drag the icon where you want, clicking in the corners of the icon allows for easy resizing too.
    Anyway im not quite finished with customizing my icon. I also only want it to show when im in my resto spec as its pointless to have it in my ele spec tbh so click on the load tab and change the player class to shaman and talent spec to resto.
    I usually have the icon glow too to make it more noticeable on the screen. Click the actions tab and click the button glow, change the glow action to show. The click on choose, next to the frame text box and after click on your newly created icon.

Hope it helped

if you just want the code to import then i think this is the right one.

dWJfhaGlskTnj42entjkZfsvnBPCjir5MqQOdJQVjk1ZHANQQ9sTBc7xc9tsaddf9BbNwOHss1GfvgokDqiLtbjshJ eDosYcLklvIWIfLSCrEijONcESOQ1bjQUSYuL0KLQA6ixuIQLbj9mvQRtQnkrAAQKnRcBhf(oj0xHeXNvL5rc0iLiA CKumArHXlk6KqQYTGeUMuLZRIEnKknkiv4VqSv6QHOb0tqlDWZp0h9Yhey0hZUwd5ifWecwlLbHICAP1MCcI3mGnOu TxQnB1QYG0qFd9D1q)iMTXpbINhDXgqzSgAbEFxnOXdjFJJXUZqk0MRgK6gfD1KjdA8qWSlV7mGzxExnGJIxB(FBYq (ghJD1aokETzakjAOt0(MmOXdH4TjiNLjd5dTqYv)VCPfUutpLQ5(QhQfYUatvf8bk6DBYqMkWXbEKlnBM3xQuLTQR cQqLPQcm9bk6HQH8HqRFqrH7mCQahh4rU0SvPSqpLkvQ8((UNAUV8bkUkyiTxmiQNSZqmFqyqlOu89wYvdy21AFUC( 37w1LbkqtwpzN)3MmWZtXGa7QbmXtKRg6hqETGIUZWRfueHNNIbHbCgbfn8AbfrosC5mGsghDrtN4yuEgJ3IIxXCyk nUSyU0YZBntMme7BiJXBrXRyomLgxwmxA55TMbE)(rkge8gcLIV3syx9xPRgOu89wYvdPj5rru8qcSlXPqYGcAGozN bmXjn2Gwmgtqg4AkyaRZAmMGa9XrmtdikenOIav0kr1GgpeTisUZGgpekqt(5Y5odJXeKbfgcT(bfffZPEk8sdJlMd DaSR1qPgOanz9KD(FBqlIKb2g)CjdPj5rru8mGktdyDwJXeK6PDeZ0aOE5LvMbkqt(5YzOKJ3IIxXCaLgxwmxnqtAq JhcMDT2NlN7mOXdjnjpkIIN7mOXdHc0K1t25ody21AFUC(37w1LjdAbLIV3sUAGc0K1t25)Tbm7ATpxo)7DR6YKj)r 1vduk(El5Qb6KDgWeN0ydAXymbzGRPGbnEiuGM8ZLZDggJjid1anPbSoRXycs90oIzAauV8YkZGgpKOGXs45oduGM8 ZLZqPX0kMR82Ktq8wXC1anPbSoRXycc0hhXmnGOq0GkcurRevduGMSEYo)vAqJhIwej3zqJhcfOjRNSZDg0IizGTXp xYKbTGsX3BjxnzY)BxnqP47TKRgOt2zatCsJnOfJXeKbUMcg04HqbAYpxo3zymMGmud0KgW6SgJji1t7iMPbq9YlRm dyDwJXeeOpoIzAarHObveOIwjQgOan5NlNHY5jkJI5kVn5eeVvmxnqtAGc0K1t25pQg0IizGTXpxYGgpeTisUZGgpe kqtwpzN7mOXdjkySeEUZKbTGsX3BjxnqbAY6j78hvtMmzGsX3BjxnePj)C58NPbnEiuGM8ZLZDgstYJIO4zavMg04H qbAY6j7CNb6KDgWeN0ydAXymbzGRPGbnEiArKCNHXycYqnqtAGc0KFUCgk54TO4vmhqPXLfZvd0Kg04HGzxR95Y5od y21AFUC(37w1LbnEiPj5rru8CNbnEirAYpxo3zinjpkIIhsGDjofsguqduGMSEYo)VnzqOL1u89wc7)LHmw8Lb5sV6 X8UaZBMkVuZLQlMf8bkUkyqXyFkdxQkMmZwPkMmvwqzbuvEvWhO4kBtgy4VYlMmnzd
    Last edited by mjolnrik; 2013-04-17 at 02:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last night we fought the Amber Shaper, as we had the four previous raid nights, killing him this time. Compared to last week's attempts:
    -- his overhealing percent dropped
    -- his Riptide uptime with lower clipping rate
    -- his Earth Shield uptime was higher
    -- he used Healing Stream Totem and Unleash Life FAR more frequently
    -- his Healing Rain heal-per-tick were up by about 60%, due at least partly to use of Unleash Life
    -- and his total healing nearly doubled. He outhealed the raid leader, and nearly outhealed the druid too.

While there is still work to do (Conductivity and Ascendance), this is a massive turnaround, and in no small part to all of you. Thank you all for your help, I no longer feel the need to strangle him.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    if he swaps from Conductivity to Healing Tide, you do not want any other healer then.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

Quote Originally Posted by Panayota View Post
    first of all, tell him/her to read the resto shaman guide. its at the top of this page.
    i'll go through some major problems i have spotted:

Spec:

1. He isn't speced into Healing tide totem which is one of the best healing CD in game
    2. He is speced into Unleashed Fury and doesnt use it at all, its 50% more healing...

Glyphs and Gems

1. Glyphs seems fine
    2. He is running with about 8.3K spirit which is a bit low, tel him to change those red gems into purples ones

he/she seems like a clueless resto shaman, not using his most effective CD's and pushing less then 20k hps per fight is just a waste of raiding spot.

he really need to read a resto shaman guide.

p.s. not a native speaker, i hope you can understand my English
    You did well =), Make sure he knows which of his abilities empower the other EXP- Unleash + Rip + Chain, Setup is a gread way to boost those numbers, and that is the only one exp.