Page 1 of 3
LastLast

recommended pvp addons?

currently running no addons but im getting serious and need some good recommendations please. I play a healer if that helps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebsmash View Post
    currently running no addons but im getting serious and need some good recommendations please. I play a healer if that helps.
    Platebuffs, interruptbar, safequeue, omnicc, moveanything, gladius, afflicted 3, possibly tidyplates, bagnon, if you want to change your whole ui look, I like pitbull, xperl. Quartz for cast bars, dominos or bartender for bars.

10+ Year Old Account
    all the pro kids use gladiatorlossa.

Deleted
    If you are getting serious then stay away from addons. Its the best way to stay crisp and skilled with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    If you are getting serious then stay away from addons. Its the best way to stay crisp and skilled with the game.
    This if you're interested in competing in tournaments where you have to actually go somewhere for it.

Beyond that:

Gladius, great Enemy Arena Unit Frames. Does a lot fot hings such as tacking DRs,Trinkets etc.

Gladiatorlossa, verbally calls out abilities used by the enemy players (Instead of keeping track of the combat log)

Move Anything, self explanatory.

Bartender: You can customize your action bars, including size and position.

Quartz: Great addon for watching Cast bars for yourself, target and focus target. Can re-size and place anywhere.

Decursive, this aids with dispelling.

If you want to get into Unit frames it's mostly going to come down to personal preference. I use X-Perl for player, player pet, target, target of target and focus. Beyond that Blizzard Raid Frames instead of Blizz Party Frames.

Previously mentioned Afflicted 3, for debuff tracking (I believe, don't use it. Lots of people do).

If you're a Hunter, I personally love Kharthus's Hunter Timers, keeps track of stings, traps, mend pet, spirit mend etc. Very simplistic add-on.

That's all I can think of for now.

Maybe ask for an add-on to help with specific areas so we can suggest an add-on that will assist you in that area. Hope these suggestions help.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    You're kidding right?
    Using only default UI forces you to look at 600 different places at once.
    Slight modifications increases the amount of information you can see with no need for darting eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    You're kidding right?
    Slight modifications increases the amount of information you can see with no need for darting eyes.
    but if you're going for a tournament, You're not able to have any addons, do You?
    And this was the point of salty, mostly.

Anyways, look at the top players, they are mostly using WoW default UI.

I am a menace to my own destiny.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    Gladius, great Enemy Arena Unit Frames. Does a lot fot hings such as tacking DRs,Trinkets etc.
    Gladiatorlossa, verbally calls out abilities used by the enemy players (Instead of keeping track of the combat log)
    Move Anything, self explanatory.
    Bartender: You can customize your action bars, including size and position.
    +Tidy plates: replaces wow own enemy&friendly nameplates with better and cooler ones. (shows the dots on the health bar etc...)
    +OmniCC: OmniCC is an addon that adds text to items, spell and abilities that are on cooldown to indicate when they will be ready to use. In other words: it turns all the standard analogue cooldowns into digital ones.
    +Losecontroll: LoseControl makes it easy to see the duration of crowd control spells by displaying them in a dedicated icon onscreen.
    +Interrupt Bar: self explanatory.

+-Doom cooldownpulse: not needed, but i really like it myself...
    Ever wanted to know when a certain ability will come off cooldown, but you're too caught up in a fight to notice? Doom_CooldownPulse is designed to fix that problem! It flashes the icon of the ability in the middle of your screen whenever it becomes usable again.

Quote Originally Posted by ebah View Post
    +Tidy plates: replaces wow own enemy&friendly nameplates with better and cooler ones. (shows the dots on the health bar etc...)
    +OmniCC: OmniCC is an addon that adds text to items, spell and abilities that are on cooldown to indicate when they will be ready to use. In other words: it turns all the standard analogue cooldowns into digital ones.
    +Losecontroll: LoseControl makes it easy to see the duration of crowd control spells by displaying them in a dedicated icon onscreen.
    +Interrupt Bar: self explanatory.

+-Doom cooldownpulse: not needed, but i really like it myself...
    Ever wanted to know when a certain ability will come off cooldown, but you're too caught up in a fight to notice? Doom_CooldownPulse is designed to fix that problem! It flashes the icon of the ability in the middle of your screen whenever it becomes usable again.
    How could I ever forget OmniCC.. lol.. I've been using that one longer than most add-ons... thing's just lovely.

As per Doom cooldownpulse, I may look into that one. I used to use Cooldown timers way back when, but haven't found a good enough replacement yet, just been using OmniCC.

Thanks for that one.
    Last edited by Goldfingaz; 2013-04-16 at 08:19 AM.

You're kidding right?
    Look at most top players streaming, like Reckful, Cdew, Vanguards, and others, they dont use any type of addons, only default. But yes, it's mostly because they can't use any addons in tournaments, so they learn to play without it.

Deleted
    You're kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by Thudin View Post
    but if you're going for a tournament, You're not able to have any addons, do You?
    And this was the point of salty, mostly.

Anyways, look at the top players, they are mostly using WoW default UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjelpen View Post
    Look at most top players streaming, like Reckful, Cdew, Vanguards, and others, they dont use any type of addons, only default. But yes, it's mostly because they can't use any addons in tournaments, so they learn to play without it.
    Nice to see thinking people in here for a change! This is exactly what my tired head was trying to say this morning after work ;D

Anyways... using addons to modify cast bars or portraits will probably not affect your skills in any alarming way but using addons like
    gladiatorlosa will severly handicap you in the future when playing without the addon.
    If you just want it to be as easy as possible then go ahead and use all the addons you can get.

Personally i like a challenge

Deleted
    Default UI is really bad, but you can use moveanything even in tournaments, blizzard allows you to move stuff around, also all scripts are allowed so you can see enemy trinket status, or move/resize your bars.

Anyway every good player will tell you that default ui is really bad, and addons will help you very much in you play. 99.9% of players here are never going to get even close to tournament, so I don't know why majority of people here thinks it's better to run without addons. It's just shows how people are full of themselves and don't know what their are talking about. The addons I mentioned in my first topic will be enough for you, possibly gladiatorlossa, but as others mentioned, it's too much of a easy mode. Of course you have to keep your ui clean and clear, and your game fast, so that's why you want as little addons as possible.

Deleted
    I use Vuhdo; superb for dispelling, healing and support for any class. Lichborne and death coil yourself on it, dispell shit, use cooldowns; I wouldn't play without it and half of my guildies use it now as well.

Deleted
    Guys how to get gladius ? the one via curse client is out of date and the one on wow interface is also out of date and can't seem to download.

Deleted
    Only addons I recommend;

-LoseControl to see the cc effects on you and your enemies better
    -omniCC to be able to see your exact cds on abilities better (also supports LoseControl)
    -SafeQueue to avoid a possible missclick and leave the arena when the queue pops, not really necessary tho

-Gladius obviously > working version: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...o.php?id=19070

AVOID GladiatorLosSA! Just get used playing without it, its much better

EDIT: It's all personal preferences, those saying that you should disregard people saying you should play with the default UI are clueless themselves. If you say you are used to playing with the default UI, keep it like that tbh. The more addons you have the longer your loading screens will be and having many addons doesnt add that much, then again: personal preferences
    Last edited by mmoc91c19fa6f0; 2013-04-16 at 11:41 AM.

Platebuffs (AWESOME) - shows friendly CCs on name plates in addition to your own. It's not cluttery at all and makes chaining CCs a lot easier.
    Tidy plates - great replacement for standard blizzard name plates.
    BGTargets - required for pvp really.
    Gladiator LOS - it can be a bit annoying at first hearing almost every enemy spell being shouted at you from a lovely woman voice, but you get used to it and it really makes it a lot easier to PVP because your'e not looking for buffs and spells when your'e hearing them instead.

I use:
    -Gladius, I don't like it but there really isn't another addon that shows DRs.
    -Omnicc, so you can see the CDs of abilities exactly.
    -Bindpad, because it's easier than assigning keybinds to action bar slots
    -Gnosis, instead of Quartz because it shows party cast bars which is really nice for not lifegripping a poly cast or being able to see instantly if his poly didn't go off so you can NS clone.
    -MSBT, Scrolling battle text. Don't know why I need it really but it's there.
    -Tidy Plates, Not sure why, looks prettier?
    -Move Anything, so I can bring frames down closer to the middle of my screen.
    -Recount, collecting but hidden during games. I look at some stuff afterwards sometimes.
    -Lose control, I don't use this anymore after "new" blizzard raidframes but used to use it to show important CC off party members to dispel.
    -Some addon to show dispel borders on enemy buffs so I can quickly see what I can dispel. Not sure if this is built into the game or a specific addon I have.

Wow, when I list them all it seems like a lot but in-game it feels like nothing. Everything Still feels very default UI just everything is moved around and the gryphons are gone. Only really jarring thing is Gladius and I hate it. It's easy to keep track of my own DRs but when my partners have abilities that DR mine a lot of full stuns turn out to be half stuns. What I really need now is an addon that allows me to have more macros.
    Last edited by Arcsecant; 2013-04-16 at 12:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some people have mentioned not playing with any addons if you plan to seriously compete - but since that's such a small fraction of PvP'rs I consider it a dereliction of responsibility to let you go about thinking that's ideal for everyone.

The fact of the matter is that addons like OmniCC or Platebuffs, Gladiatorlossa, and better party / arena frames (like Shadowed Unit Frames or Gladius) - Will make you play better, sooner, than trying to track all the myriad things that go on during arenas in MoP. In TBC I felt very differently about the use of addons for arenas - but it was a simpler time.

In MoP, addons aren't some crutch that hold you back, they are tools to make the UI work as a modern UI should - the WoW default UI was designed over a decade ago, it literally drew inspiration from games like Quake 3 and Ultima Online: it leaves a Lot that can be improved upon (and Blizzard knows it, it's why they outsource UI development to the community by encouraging addons).
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Smashface View Post
    AVOID GladiatorLosSA! Just get used playing without it, its much better
    I dunno about this, I mean if you're just starting out in arena this is very useful, i used this for a while, now when I play with no sound on I can her her voice when I see certain buffs, debuffs or spell effects.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ManglolSA View Post
    I dunno about this, I mean if you're just starting out in arena this is very useful, i used this for a while, now when I play with no sound on I can her her voice when I see certain buffs, debuffs or spell effects.
    That is very true, that addon is actually nice for players that are new to pvp. However, he says he is getting serious with pvp now so in his case I would suggest not installing it.