Thread: Flag Spinning?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koaxialus View Post
    I more of a fan of destro lock with rain of fire, shaman with totem and earthquake, hunter explosive trap and multishot, because these classes protect the flag even while cc'd, frost/blood dk, prot pala, and that's about it.
    Rain of Fire doesn't work anymore, just saying...

While on this topic, does anyone have a list of aoe abilities by class that interrupt flag cap?

I am curious about abilities like divine star, mind sear, etc (on my priest) and Fire and Brimstone (on my Warlock), but it would be nice to know a full list.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by junn View Post
    While on this topic, does anyone have a list of aoe abilities by class that interrupt flag cap?

I am curious about abilities like divine star, mind sear, etc (on my priest) and Fire and Brimstone (on my Warlock), but it would be nice to know a full list.
    Nothing that a priest does interrupts flag captures, we're the Worsttt at it (even worse than melee classes at range, since at least warriors have heroic throw and such). QQ To be more specific though, Star, Cascade, Halo, Mind Sear, Mind Flay, Shadow Word: Pain, Devouring Plague, Vampiric Touch all don't interrupt flag captures - you have to either Mind Blast or Mind Spike them to break a capture (casting a flag interrupt is pretty horrendous - you break out of a CC, someone is capturing, you... begin winding up a spell, the flag gets captured, your spell lands, you /wrists) - I've literally run into melee and stabbed cappers with my dagger more often than I've waited around for a cast to finish.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Rain of Fire doesn't work anymore, just saying...
    The first tick does I believe.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Uhh what??

Infracted for mod impersonating
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-04-19 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eponzled View Post
    Infracted for minor spam.
    That got me for a second

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    The first tick does I believe.
    Nope. The sole reason for this is that a Destruction Warlock made capping impossible as long as he was alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Nothing that a priest does interrupts flag captures, we're the Worsttt at it (even worse than melee classes at range, since at least warriors have heroic throw and such). QQ To be more specific though, Star, Cascade, Halo, Mind Sear, Mind Flay, Shadow Word: Pain, Devouring Plague, Vampiric Touch all don't interrupt flag captures - you have to either Mind Blast or Mind Spike them to break a capture (casting a flag interrupt is pretty horrendous - you break out of a CC, someone is capturing, you... begin winding up a spell, the flag gets captured, your spell lands, you /wrists) - I've literally run into melee and stabbed cappers with my dagger more often than I've waited around for a cast to finish.
    As far as I'm aware you can still stand next to the flag and use Psychic Scream and interrupt capping that way. Sure, it might be resisted or trinketed right away, but it still interrupts. (Unless fear mechanics have changed in MoP. I've not played priest/lock this expansion)
    Surrounded by idiots

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schaapa View Post
    As far as I'm aware you can still stand next to the flag and use Psychic Scream and interrupt capping that way. Sure, it might be resisted or trinketed right away, but it still interrupts. (Unless fear mechanics have changed in MoP. I've not played priest/lock this expansion)
    You can, but relying on 30 second cooldown melee-range-requiring CC as an interrupt is a poor use of them generally (especcially since if one of many fear-immunity effects is active, it won't interrupt the cap) - if you are in melee range already, may as well stab them with your dagger

Edit: Oh, there is also a slight bug with using fear as an interrupt in that - even though they lose control of their character immediately, until their character runs out of range to cap - they will still actually be interacting with the flag. So if for example they tremble in place for a second, or run in a circle around the flag (as also sometimes happens), or even run past the flag they will still be capping for that second or half-second (or many seconds, in the worst case) - far better to dagger them as a priest

The point was more that, in order to interrupt a flag capture you need to use a direct damage attack, since priests have no instant direct damage attacks - we can't interrupt flags from range without casting a nuke (one of which has a cooldown, the other of which wipes our dots). So when considering who to assign to that role, priests are the worst available option (but especcially amongst casters, if not also amongst melee).
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-04-19 at 11:02 AM.

Yvaelle, do you know of a list you could link that shwos what will interrupt and what wont?

If not, could you maybe comment on a lock? Does hellfire, fire and brimstone (immo/conflag/incin all interact the same?), immo aura, etc. interrupt it?

I've often wondered what "flag spinning" meant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by junn View Post
    Yvaelle, do you know of a list you could link that shwos what will interrupt and what wont?

If not, could you maybe comment on a lock? Does hellfire, fire and brimstone (immo/conflag/incin all interact the same?), immo aura, etc. interrupt it?
    The rule is generally that only Direct Damage single target attacks work from range - while aoe abilities work from melee. So as a warlock the best tool for stopping a cap is Fel Flame. You can also stop caps with any cast time direct damage single target spell of course - even if a proc effect makes it instant cast.

Lastly, and most inconsistent - is AoE abilities - for example I believe Howling Blast and Death and Decay work to interrupt captures (DnD may even work through the entire duration?), Fire and Brimstone works AoE for Destro, and I think the first tick of Rain of Fire still interrupts captures - but Rain of Fire no longer interrupts captures for the full duration. As a warlock, your pet should be able to quickly interrupt captures as well. I think Chaos Wave works, but Immolation Aura and Hellfire don't (actually, not sure on Hellfire - but if it doesn't currently I'd bet they nerf that next given the way they are going). Blizzard I believe interrupts every tick of its full duration, while Mind Sear neither interrupts initially or over any subsequent tick, Thundershock interrupts, but Earthquake doesn't, Chain Lightning I think does though. Hurricane I don't think does, but Starfall might. The AoE rules are really bizarre, its generally best to find someone who plays your spec specifically and ask them what does and doesn't work - because its all practically on a per-spell basis :/

Hope that helps! I don't know of any charts that show what works more definitively.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-04-20 at 08:49 AM.