Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

people still play WoW = mind blown

i mean seriously, think about it. this game has been out since Nov '04. it's april 2013 now and millions of people still play WoW. UNFUKING BELIEVABLE.

i wonder how much longer it will last? i say 6 more years max.
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 2013-04-17 at 09:07 AM.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Deleted
    At least 15 years. Of course, there won't be ~9 million people playing then, but it'll still be there.

Deleted
    It came out Nov 04 and not 03.
    And it'll be around as long as people find it entertaining. I find SMB entertaining and still play it. And it got out 85! It's 28 years old!

Deleted
    Old people go, new people come in. Babies are born every day.

And some of us are crazy enough to keep playing after 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    i mean seriously, think about it. this game has been out since Nov '03. it's april 2013 now and millions of people still play WoW. UNFUKING BELIEVABLE.

With this many people it could last another decade I reckon.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

As people have mentioned earlier - the only WoW killer is Blizzard them self, if they decide to shut down the servers keeping it up.
    So as long as people pay for it, and Blizzard gets a profit it will stay. So yeah, we still got a loooot of time to play this game, if we choose to.

On the other hand; when will Blizzard stop making new content for us? Will it be when Titan is released, or will they continue as long as they earn money on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    people still play everquest

Refreshing topic and i agree, it is crazy how long this game has gone on, but isn't everquest still going on after 10+ years now? that's pretty crazy too.

Deleted
    CS 1.6 still being played feels unreal in comparison.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    i mean seriously, think about it. this game has been out since Nov '04. it's april 2013 now and millions of people still play WoW. UNFUKING BELIEVABLE.

If that blows your mind - I wouldn´t want to be around you when something actually astonashing happened.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezarus View Post
    people still play everquest
    and EQ is older than Wow by what? 5 years?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Its the best game ever made.

What about soccer then? People play it since over hundred years. It´s gonna die soon!
    No way a game can survive that long. And baseball, basketball, football, hockey, all doomed.

Damn what a genius this OP is, he beat us by 5 minutes reconning these kinda things.

I think it also depends on the expansions they are going to release lorewise. Cata was BS and Pandaria is meh. Other MMOS will keep improving their mechanics and QoL features till some will work just as smooth and rewarding as WoW does.

Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    Its the best game ever made.
    Best game, or best at making us addicted?
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    Best game, or best at making us addicted?
    well it depends on what metrics you use to judge a game

The game is evolving all the time. It is far, far, FAR from the game that was released in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezarus View Post
    well it depends on what metrics you use to judge a game
    Well, game wise - is it realy that good? Or do we convice ourself it is awesome because we're addicted and have spent so much time in it?
    Compare it to other huge games as Skyrim or Bioshock, is WoW realy that good game wise?

Just a bunch of questions, I've played the game since '04, and I still do love it. But mostly because I feel somewhat addicted to it (And all the friends I've made troughout the years of playing).

Whenever people are surprised that WoW is still going, I just smile and link this Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_online

Ultima Online (UO) is a graphical massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), released on 24 September 1997,[2] by Origin Systems. It was instrumental to the development of the genre, and is still running today.
    Considering its peak was 250,000 subs and it's still active, WoW's peak of roughly 12 million will logically mean the game will keep going on for decades. Not 6 years. Not even 15. Decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    Well, game wise - is it realy that good? Or do we convice ourself it is awesome because we're addicted and have spent so much time in it?
    Compare it to other huge games as Skyrim or Bioshock, is WoW realy that good game wise?

Just a bunch of questions, I've played the game since '04, and I still do love it. But mostly because I feel somewhat addicted to it (And all the friends I've made troughout the years of playing).
    There's less 'addicts' than you'd think. I'd imagine the majority of the playerbase are those who play for a short while, get bored, go do something else for a few months, then come back. A constant revolving door of players.

Obviously there will be a few addicts, sure. You get people addicted to anything. That's not really a fault of the game though. The game gives us reasons to log in each day, sure; but then it's up to us to decide if we actually want to do so or not. And there's plenty of catch up mechanics which mean you don't need to log in all the time. You can take breaks and not fall behind in any meaningful fashion.