Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

PvP Glyph discussion after nerfs

Now that the glyph will increase the duration of the stun ONLY by 0.5 seconds.

Do you think the glyph will be less attractive than, for example:

Glyph of Cloak of Shadows
    Major Glyph

While Cloak of Shadows is active, you take 40% less physical damage.
    or

Glyph of Stealth
    Major Glyph

Reduces the cooldown of your Stealth ability by 4 sec.
    I personally think that Glyph of Garrote is still viable even after the nerfs.

---------- Post added 2013-04-17 at 11:58 AM ----------

The gain of the Glyph of Stealth will achieve is quite minimal, when you come to think that it actually doesn't shorten the time to get out of combat and restealth.

According to some forum users, it seems some are attracted to :

Glyph of Smoke Bomb
    Major Glyph

Increases the duration of your Smoke Bomb by 2 sec.
    Last edited by mmoc8d0614f38b; 2013-04-17 at 08:16 AM.

Deleted
    Clos is nice though i'd hate to have it on CD when i need to use it to vanish.

Deleted
    Elusiveness
    Passive Talent

Your Feint ability also reduces all damage taken by 30% for 5 sec.
    Then again Feint is pretty close to that effect with 30% all damage reduced, topping that off with the feints original effect, which is -50% damage taken from area effects. Would I use Cloak to minimize physical damage very often? Perhaps as orb/flag carrier, stack with feint?

I use glyph of cloak in most of my fights right now.

AVOID glyph of stealth in arena.

Glyph of Garrote will still be valuable. Glyph of Cheapshot will probably not.

Would I use Cloak to minimize physical damage very often? Perhaps as orb/flag carrier, stack with feint?
    It stacks with feint. I use it in arena because rogues are better kill targets than spriests or mistweavers to most comps, and so as the de-facto tank I tend to run that if there's any physical on the other team.

If you have feint (elusiveness) up, you take 70% of damage you would have taken without it- say, versus frost strike. If the damage is area damage, you take 35% of that damage- say, versus howling blast.
    If you have feint (elusiveness) up AND cloak of shadows active, you take 70% of the above frost strike (cloak does nothing), but a mortal strike will only hit you for 42% of the listed damage. If the damage is physical area damage (shockwave), you take 21% of it (the howling blast you would ignore totally as cloak will cause it to miss you).

I dont think Glyph of CoS is anywhere near viable for arena.
    If you use cloak, you will most likely vanish or run away and restealth.
    CoS is way to precious to just reduce pshyical dmg taken.
    Use Evasion, Dismantle or Combat Readiness instead.

I personally think glyph of feint will be worth it.

Glyph of Smoke Bomb should be pretty good if you can keep the target in there and the healers out for the extra 2s. It's already pretty damn good for RBGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glyph of Cloak or Glyph of Gouge depending if the team contains melee or is solely composed of casters. Aside will be competing with Gouge: Smoke Bomb or Feint. Will be experimenting with those.

Anything else is a waste of a glyph slot.

Gouge is nice with dirty tricks. Not recommended if you play with a mage (same DR as sheep).
    Feint is nice with elusiveness.
    Smoke bomb if you don't take either talent or you love your mage buddy.

I don't like cloak glyph unless you see that you're queing into a thugcleave or something without any magic damage. If you're not in that specific situation where there's only physical dps, cloak should always be used against magic damage or to remove faerie fire if there's a druid.
    Last edited by Neazy; 2013-04-18 at 03:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    Gouge is nice with dirty tricks. Not recommended if you play with a mage (same DR as sheep).
    Feint is nice with elusiveness.
    Smoke bomb if you don't take either talent or you love your mage buddy.

I don't like cloak glyph unless you see that you're queing into a thugcleave or something without any magic damage. If you're not in that specific situation where there's only physical dps, cloak should always be used against magic damage or to remove faerie fire if there's a druid.
    You have to realise that Glyph of cloak basically turns it into a Pain Suppression on a 1 minute cooldown with full magic immunity. If you face something retarded like Hunter Mage Healer i highly recommend taking it. Also, FF will be taken of care by your healer, no reason to keep cloak for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    You have to realise that Glyph of cloak basically turns it into a Pain Suppression on a 1 minute cooldown with full magic immunity. If you face something retarded like Hunter Mage Healer i highly recommend taking it. Also, FF will be taken of care by your healer, no reason to keep cloak for it.
    I would always save cloak to get a restealth off if you're against a druid team. Can't always trust that 8 sec cooldown dispel.

Anyway 40% physical reduction is nice but 100% magic reduction is better. It just makes more sense to always save cloak for magic damage. I would agree with you that it's probably more useful than the smoke bomb glyph against hunter/mage teams, but even when you're using the glyph I don't think you're gonna be popping cloak just to reduce the hunter damage. More like you'll be saving it to stop the mage from raping your face, and if you happen to reduce some of the hunter's damage as well, that's just an added bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would always save cloak to get a restealth off if you're against a druid team. Can't always trust that 8 sec cooldown dispel.

Anyway 40% physical reduction is nice but 100% magic reduction is better. It just makes more sense to always save cloak for magic damage. I would agree with you that it's probably more useful than the smoke bomb glyph against hunter/mage teams, but even when you're using the glyph I don't think you're gonna be popping cloak just to reduce the hunter damage. More like you'll be saving it to stop the mage from raping your face, and if you happen to reduce some of the hunter's damage as well, that's just an added bonus.
    It's all situational. But no.. I don't save cloak for FF, ever. My healer has that covered. It's a massive waste of a cooldown, ESPECIALLY if the team is a spellcleave.

Well naturally you're not gonna save cloak if you're about to die. No point in having it off CD if you're dead. Maybe the right way to phrase it is that against a druid I'm a lot more conservative with my cloak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well naturally you're not gonna save cloak if you're about to die. No point in having it off CD if you're dead. Maybe the right way to phrase it is that against a druid I'm a lot more conservative with my cloak.
    I only ever use cloak as a life saver.. what else would you use it for? No point using it offensively unless you are 100% confident you can be without it for the time being.

Saving cloak so you can vanish is a lifesaver, too. More so against melee/caster or double melee teams. Cloak is all you get against spellcleaves with a druid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saving cloak so you can vanish is a lifesaver, too. More so against melee/caster or double melee teams. Cloak is all you get against spellcleaves with a druid.
    If you play without a healer, I guess so. I'm not saying I don't ever use my cloak to remove FF. I'm saying I'm never keeping it just to do that. I use it to save my life.. if clearing FF is part of that, then so be it.

Deleted
    If you play without a healer, I guess so. I'm not saying I don't ever use my cloak to remove FF. I'm saying I'm never keeping it just to do that. I use it to save my life.. if clearing FF is part of that, then so be it.
    Using cloak after opener stun (considering 2v2 and the other one is CCed) would be great idea, if you save some time to restealth before cloak goes off (to prevent re-dotting). Playing like this may still be quite open for problems: you wasted your cloak and got stunned before getting a chance to restealth -> you get FF'd or get a dot that will break your stealth.

Since the smoke bomb is 5 second buff (cheap shot also 5 seconds), I'm not sure what is the total gain in there. With a root (say paralyzing shiv) you might get use of those extra 2 seconds the glyph offers.

Glyph of Feint is excellent for orb carrying in temple of kotmogu, since you need to spam feint less than usual and may have a chance to generate a couple more points for finishers instead.

Deleted
    Using cloak after opener stun wears off to prevent your target from CCing you (considering 2v2 and the other one was CCed and broke loose) would be great idea, if you save some time to restealth before cloak goes off (to prevent re-dotting). Playing like this may still be quite open for problems: you wasted your cloak and got stunned before getting a chance to restealth -> you get FF'd or get a dot that will break your stealth.

Since the smoke bomb is 5 second buff (cheap shot also 5 seconds), I'm not sure what is the total gain in there. With a root (say paralyzing shiv) you might get use of those extra 2 seconds the glyph offers.

Glyph of Feint is excellent for orb carrying in temple of kotmogu, since you need to spam feint less than usual and may have a chance to generate a couple more points for finishers instead.

Glyph of stealth is good in arena if you know what you're doing.

There is more to restealths than dropping combat, and if you're loaded up on dots glyph of stealth lets you stealth again before you exit LoS and reopen.

It also carries the defensive advantage of restealthing while you're trying to excape- again - DoTs.
    ___

@above

No, the higher you get on the rating continuum the less(until not at all without being swapped to and killed) you will be able to do what you described.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2013-04-19 at 09:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Glyph of stealth is good in arena if you know what you're doing.

There is more to restealths than dropping combat, and if you're loaded up on dots glyph of stealth lets you stealth again before you exit LoS and reopen.

It also carries the defensive advantage of restealthing while you're trying to excape- again - DoTs.
    You pointed out a valid point. But how situational is it after all? You will be 3 seconds in stealth, 2 seconds visible, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hermoraunio View Post
    You pointed out a valid point. But how situational is it after all? You will be 3 seconds in stealth, 2 seconds visible, etc.
    That means you're completely invisible to the enemy for over half the time you are escaping, couple this with Cloak and Dagger openers and you can be nigh invulnerable most of a match if you play around your defenses.