Something Should be Done

The other day I was in a ToT, LFR group, and we had one shaman and no mages. Turns out the shaman didn't know what Heroism was.

I'm not saying we needed the buff to complete the fights, because we didn't and we completed the instance without heroism or time warp...but it appears that something needs to be added so that players learn these added abilities as they level up.

Used to be that you'd at least see the new abilities as they were gained because you had to go train, but that doesn't apply anymore since they're added automatically. I bet there are some people that don't even glance at their spellbooks to learn what all they are capable of and what not. Though they can go online to learn how to play their class better, they really shouldn't have to go to that extent to study up on their toon unless they really start progression raiding.

It's a problem when someone reaches endgame content -- even if it's only lfr, or heck, even endgame dailies -- and they have absolutely no idea that they have a powerful tool at their disposal.

I don't know. Maybe a semi-difficult, 10-15 min. solo scenario that serves as a sort-of gate for some endgame until you defeat the "beat me to be able to do this" boss.

While it doesn't really impact my play (I'm relatively easy-going and choose to let my job and home repairs provide my daily dose of stress), it would spare some folks some embarrassment...and possibly make them at least a slightly better player in the process.

As it stands, it's left to the community to provide that information ... but should someone really need to be telling a shaman in Throne of Thunder what Heroism is?

10+ Year Old Account
    You are right, we need to nerf Death knights!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Blizzard always tries to teach players how to play, what more do you need? Do you want music blaze in your ears each time you do something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Lionspride View Post
    lol. If I'm interpreting that right, that's hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    LMAO

Actually I don't know if you can teach this stuff. The monks have quests as you roll along to teach you to use some of your abilities, however the times I'm suppose to slow my opponent down all I really do is touch of death them.

About the only way to do some sort of tutorial or training ground is to force the player to only be able to hit a very specific spell and with the way this game changes it would make it a nightmare for designers to do with every expansion or major change to a class. It can be done in a scenario setting which I believe would be easier programming, but would still need to be updated as spells are removed or added.

I think blizzard could expand on their how the class works page in the spell book. It should be broken down into Offensive CDs, Defensive CDs, Utility Spells, Single Target design philosophy, multi target design philosophy & even quick dying trash philosophy. Words are easy and quick to change when it comes to programming so that could easily be updated to keep up. That alone would help a new player get a basic understanding of their class, as blizzard tweaks spells you would still need online guides for the proper rotation but at least a new player would have an idea of what they should be doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually overlooked Ascendance for a few weeks on my Enh Sham

Maybe with the in-game support browser they are adding they could put in-game notices once you reach max level that lead to guides.

''Congratulations! You hit level 90! Click here to see guides from players like you about how to perform in the new content you now have access to!''

Quote Originally Posted by Malist View Post
    I actually overlooked Ascendance for a few weeks on my Enh Sham
    There's things that I've overlooked before also. I typically discover new abilities by thumbing through all my spells once I reach max level -- looking for ways to solo some of the more difficult world rares and such, etc. I'd like to think everyone does that, but that's apparently not the case. Not sure if it's because of too much hand-holding through the first few levels or not enough in later levels or a combination.

There have always been people in WoW who have no idea what they are doing. Always have been, always will be. You could literally tell a player how great their most important ability is and they might still be like, "Well I like using such and such ability more. So thanks, but no thanks." (I've actually TOLD the holy paladin in my group how to AOE heal step by step and he refuses to actually ever use it when it's needed.)

Bads will be bads. Newbies will be newbies. No amount of hand holding by Blizzard will ever change that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    There have always been people in WoW who have no idea what they are doing. Always have been, always will be. You could literally tell a player how great their most important ability is and they might still be like, "Well I like using such and such ability more. So thanks, but no thanks." (I've actually TOLD the holy paladin in my group how to AOE heal step by step and he refuses to actually ever use it when it's needed.)

Bads will be bads. Newbies will be newbies. No amount of hand holding by Blizzard will ever change that.
    So you're saying that news will stay newbs, because we all started once as a newb even the hardcore players
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

So you're saying that news will stay newbs, because we all started once as a newb even the hardcore players
    Did I say that? Please quote the specific section where I said they would stay bad or new.

Bads WILL be bads because they are bads. Newbies WILL be newbies because they are new. In both of these cases, I never once stated or implied they would stay that way, just that handholding was not the solution to the problem.

If a new player or a bad player takes it among themselves to learn the game and better themselves, then they will grow. If they don't, then they will stay mediocre or terrible, and that is the point I am making.

I think that they should make single player instances that teach people core things about their class. Make it single player progression based, and give achievements as you get better at your class in those instances. It should range from informational....all the way to uber mastery (i.e. nearly impossible).

Training instances are something I always thought would be a great idea. And adding a progression feel can make it a fun side "game".