Using off-hands instead of shields.

Are there any paladins that will actually use an off-hand instead of a shield? I find it weird because off-hands are on our loot table and I don't know of any paladin that will ever use an off hand instead of a shield no matter how big the upgrade.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

If you get unlucky with shields an offhand is fine but always shield > offhand due to the extra armour if you have a choice between the two.

I prefer using a Shield, and I would rather use an inferior Shield over an OH, but the other main Holydin in our guild has used the inscription fan for months now, and our other Holydin uses the 2H Mace, its just up to your personal situation.

Its always worth keeping a shield in your bags though, certain boss mechanics are nicely cheesed by Holydins having a shield on

Basically what the others said. At same item level you want a shield, it will help on certain encounters. If you have no shields but you have access to a higher item level OH or 2H that druids/priests don't want, then take it and use it.

There are also tons of misconceptions about armor. A lot of area physical damage is not armor mitigated, contrary to what tons of misinformed people will tell you.

As a Protection Paladin I don't have a choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    There are also tons of misconceptions about armor. A lot of area physical damage is not armor mitigated, contrary to what tons of misinformed people will tell you.
    Are you sure ? Could you give an example ? On Ji'kun (first that came to my mind) I'm pretty sure I take less damage than our mage or priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Izilol View Post
    Are you sure ? Could you give an example ? On Ji'kun (first that came to my mind) I'm pretty sure I take less damage than our mage or priest.
    Vizier is the main example. Contrary to at least 10 posts I have read, none of his area physical damage (only melees) are armor-mitigated.

I haven't looked into Quills. I'd imagine Animus melees are armor-mitigated, and the Cheep from Hatchlings is probably armor-mitigated. I doubt Caw is but I can check out.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the stats are better, I will use an offhand. I used the Feng offhand for a while before i got the shield from Garajal. I do find it annoying that offhands are on the coin roll loot system at times. First time I coined on Lei Shen I got the offhand, when I already had a 522 shield. Of all the good items on Lei Shen, a non-spirit offhand is what I get.

I'll use an off-hand if the stats are better. Shields are more "iconic," but imo the extra armor isn't more valuable than losing healing stats. Paladins don't exactly lack defensive abilities.
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2013-04-18 at 02:00 AM.

I was stuck using an off hand during tier 14 since the gara'jal shield wouldn't drop for me off normal mode. However I was very glad when the shield dropped for me off normal tortos! I'm a xmog whore, I don't care about the armor

10+ Year Old Account
    I almost think they'd rather give holy a two hander then make off hands become a huge and hip thing.

Shaman and paladins are forever doomed with those shields for certain specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

I'd use an OH if it was an upgrade. The only benefit to a shield over an OH is the bonus armor, which is only relevant on a very small number of fights. Even then, generally the damage offset from wearing a shield is probably not worth the loss of better stats.

The only catch is that in most goups, you're raid as a whole is going to gear faster if you just take a shield and leave off-hands for those players who can't use shields so there is less gear overlap.