What's the state of PvP like today?

I haven't touched this game since I ragequitted in Legion with the whole melee supremacy and extremely nerfed healers fiasco for nearly the entirety of the expansion. The second patch actually allowed Resto Druids be strong and viable, but only for one patch! Melee players got too upset that they couldn't mongo them down so they were nerfed again.

In all honesty, I think WOTLK was the best expansion of all time for PvP. But I can't be bothered leveling and grinding all that gear again. So, how's the game right now in terms of PvP?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It’s been a month and a bit since I got my elite/visous mount and stopped for the season but PvP felt really good as an ele shaman even being the go to train target lost of the time by melee.

Damage out put is high but not to bursty most of the time.

Defensive and cool downs feel impactful.

Healers weren’t to annoying to deal with though that may have changed with the holy pally rework.

CC is still CC it’s either oppressive or not that bad depending on class.

Melee trains are a bit much at times but alot of range classes seem to do decent getting space and as Ele I didn’t feel it was over bearing.

Most I’ve enjoyed PvP since wrath/cata easily.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Solo shuffle is amazing. Just for that its worth returning. Class design is at that nice spot where everything is op so its fairly balanced without being boring.

You just missed the caster supreme meta, but its not clear yet if it goes back to meele.

Gearing is nice , gameplay is fun but mmr system is all over the place. If you reach duellist on your class in RSS you are already in top 100-50 for some speccs its really sad to see. 2v2 is mostly dead past 2k. Rbg currently has no one even near Elite rank, and 3v3 is getting sweaty pretty early.

So for playing its currently fun but not if you play for rewards past the elite sets.

Little confused about your woltk comment though, as the current classic version is basically teams trying to counter comp teams on high rating and there is no low rating base because of a lack of player. + the botting issues

PvP Gear is normalised in PvP so everybody is around the same ilvl and then can be upgraded for PvE ilvl depending on your rank, so that's really nice, it prevents gear from snowballing after a few weeks of not being active. Brackets are a mess and rating is a bit all over the place.

Starting off is really rough because everybody is in 450 gear already and you'll be in like... 385 till you can spend a few hours suffering, doing world quests to get a full set of PvP gear, which is 433ish in PvP, so still a lot weaker and lower Stam/HP than the common 450 gear most people have in random queues and low brackets.

And all healer CC got nerfed except Cyclone which is still totally BS, so Resto is easy to get started as atm because you can usually just escape low brackets with a single well-timed cyclone on the enemy healer per solo queue match.

Quote Originally Posted by Crruor View Post
    Solo shuffle is amazing. Just for that its worth returning. Class design is at that nice spot where everything is op so its fairly balanced without being boring.
    how long are queus as dps?
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity2015 View Post
    how long are queus as dps?
    Depends on the rating 2-20min as dps unless you are glad+.

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    You just missed the caster supreme meta, but its not clear yet if it goes back to meele.

Gearing is nice , gameplay is fun but mmr system is all over the place. If you reach duellist on your class in RSS you are already in top 100-50 for some speccs its really sad to see. 2v2 is mostly dead past 2k. Rbg currently has no one even near Elite rank, and 3v3 is getting sweaty pretty early.

So for playing its currently fun but not if you play for rewards past the elite sets.

Little confused about your woltk comment though, as the current classic version is basically teams trying to counter comp teams on high rating and there is no low rating base because of a lack of player. + the botting issues
    caster supreme meta? your dealer must be giving you the good stuff mon.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshere View Post
    caster supreme meta? your dealer must be giving you the good stuff mon.
    Best classes / most played classes were : SP/Warlock/Boomy over the last weeks.

Iam using drustvar for statistics , what are you using?

I miss playing healer in Legion was the most fun time to play healer. You should come back to the game now you'll be really good at it!
    Writes insightful, well-mannered posts in the Community Council.

Keyboard Turner
    Second that solo shuffle is great. Really enjoyable, and way easier to do some proper ranked gaming while not needing friends online

Solo shuffle is pretty much only for healers who don't care about their mental health, or DPS that don't have other hobbies.
    20+ minutes wait time for a single set of games is actually ridiculous. It's not good, it's not sustainable and it's going to get worse until the very end of the season when inflation is in and everybody spam queues for cosmetics.

Gearing is in one of the best states it's ever been, but doesn't matter unless you've either got plenty of time to sit around just waiting to play, or you're skilled enough to make a freakishly deflated and brutal ladder of people with high game knowledge work.

I've been having more fun playing MoBAs and FPS. They respect my time way more, and I actually feel I can work on things through a season, and not have to wait until the last 2 weeks to have a smooth ride working towards anything. Facing R1 / Glad players at 1600 MMR on the first week should not be normal, and it's just driving away actual lower skilled players because they just wanna collect cool stuff right away. Not wait weeks just for a shot at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DUMB APE View Post
    So, how's the game right now in terms of PvP?
    PvP gear still exists which is dumb, since if you come into a season late you deal scratch damage to geared people who then pound you into dust.

The RBG pug community has become much more toxic. The last Vicious Saddle mount I bothered to get was the sabertooth one since RBG pugging has become so intolerable.

1+ Year Old Account
    It's the best expansion ever for PvP, very alt-friendly. They recently added the Glorious Medal of Honor, which costs 2500 honor. You can mail that to your other characters (in different realms and faction) and consume it to get 1500 honor.

The ilvl gap between Honor and Conquest gear is 13, it used to be higher in SL. And you had to upgrade your gears in SL to get good, so it took a long time just to be fully honor geared in SL, and Conquest gear upgrades were locked behind ratings.

In summary:
    - Getting full honor gear for your main toon + alts is very very easy and quick now.
    - Conquest is easy to grind with the addition of BG Blitz, Solo Shuffle, and weekly quests that award Conquest, but it's not very sustainable to do it on many alts if you don't have the time.
    - Balance is still a problem in BG/Epic BGs, due to premades (at least on WoW US).
    - There's no proper catch-up mechanic for PVP gearing, so if you're starting late into the season, good luck to you. The only so-called 'catch-up' is when they increase the conquest gains by 25% late into the season, and remove the conquest cap.

Melee supremacy, unless you're a mage, warriors have 100% uptimes on you, demon hunters have 100% uptime on you, and both are more mobile than druids/ rogues. WW have like 80% uptime on you, then will just bruce lee your face in. MM hunters still the class for bads and useless players

Quote Originally Posted by deathshere View Post
    Melee supremacy, unless you're a mage, warriors have 100% uptimes on you, demon hunters have 100% uptime on you, and both are more mobile than druids/ rogues. WW have like 80% uptime on you, then will just bruce lee your face in. MM hunters still the class for bads and useless players
    I'm enjoying all lock specs as well. Don't feel there's a melee supremacy at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNeutral View Post
    It's the best expansion ever for PvP, very alt-friendly. They recently added the Glorious Medal of Honor, which costs 2500 honor. You can mail that to your other characters (in different realms and faction) and consume it to get 1500 honor.

The ilvl gap between Honor and Conquest gear is 13, it used to be higher in SL. And you had to upgrade your gears in SL to get good, so it took a long time just to be fully honor geared in SL, and Conquest gear upgrades were locked behind ratings.

In summary:
    - Getting full honor gear for your main toon + alts is very very easy and quick now.
    - Conquest is easy to grind with the addition of BG Blitz, Solo Shuffle, and weekly quests that award Conquest, but it's not very sustainable to do it on many alts if you don't have the time.
    - Balance is still a problem in BG/Epic BGs, due to premades (at least on WoW US).
    - There's no proper catch-up mechanic for PVP gearing, so if you're starting late into the season, good luck to you. The only so-called 'catch-up' is when they increase the conquest gains by 25% late into the season, and remove the conquest cap.
    Pretty much this. I wish we still had 175% instead of 150% crit though as the games can really drag.

I really want to play Battlegrounds but it's really boring now. It's not that I'm bored of Battlegrounds, it's that there's just too much class power above skill.
    Plunderstorm is more skill based than Battlegrounds or WPVP or something like that.

In Plunderstorm you can actually beat 2 players alone, and you can try to play better, but in Dragonflight you mostly can't, skill just means so much less now.

While it's still interesting and deep and complex if you have the team synergy to back it up. There's still skill involved in mirror vs. mirror, there's really intense rotations involved now, but they're in this isolated mini game of rotations, while in Plunderstorm what matters is positioning and aiming and more things like that.

What I mean with isolated mini game of rotations* For example if you decide to try to 1v2 in Arena you'll get literally nowhere. Ofcourse a rogue can still do it somehow but it's just way harder now, because the cooldowns and class powers weigh so heavily and there's no skillful interactions with counterplay, it's just like trade one cd for one cd, so you're broke cuz they have 2x more cds.

So in this way when I play Battlegrounds(unlike in the past) I feel tapped.The only thing that taps me in Classic is my mana bar.
    It just feels so stupid to even try because there's no way to overcome the odds, it's so depressive to observe these really bad players win. It just takes too long to kill them, they have too many cds, and I'm forced to use all my cds cuz this game is now all about cd rotations which really limits SCOPE.

It's just so predetermined, there's no real reason to practice anymore. The only enjoyable parts in WoW now is having a merciless approach to who I play with in arena. Since there's so very little value in playing with someone not strong enough anymore, can't really boost players without being annoyed at their mistakes.
    When skill was more involved then boosting others was more enjoyable because there was more room to grow anyways. Now it's just if your teammate misses their one thing it costs one cd, it's a simple trade and it's stupid.

In SL you had these really powerful buttons that did alot of damage and the rest of what really mattered was cooldowns.
    Then in DF they reduced most big damage into lesser damage with more fillers and even more CD reliant than SL.
    So you have this limited potential in DF that makes it so much easier for really bad players to compete.
    Like I don't care how good you think you are, but if this was TBC,WOTLK,CATA,WOD,MOP,LEGION,BFA or even SL you and your two noob buddies would get aoed by me, and now I can't aoe you anymore, why is that? It's cuz the game is so bad now it's designed for SUBSCRIBERS to remain, and most subscribers are bad, so they purposefully redesign skillful elements in pvp combat to compliment bad players, it's such a terrible future for WoW.
    Last edited by nvaelz; 2024-03-27 at 11:18 PM.
    Writes insightful, well-mannered posts in the Community Council.