Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Speaking from an American perspective, if you abolished drug laws - everyone would get along with cops a hell of a lot better.

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    This woman is a volunteer in the peace corps and has been in Madagascar teaching English. This story is fake, her actual blog is intelligent, not racist, and not sexist. This is reckless journalism.
    If it's not true, than I take it back. If it is, I stand by my statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    That's both very idealistic and, unless I'm mistaken, it's you who brought up skin colour.
    The OP did.

When a womans had some traumatic event (be it domestic violence, rape or whatever), I'm sure they'll have an easier time dealing with a female police officer than a male one.
    Says the sexist. You're basing your presumption on that traumatic event having taken place with a male aggressor. While it is the statistical majority, men are not the only ones who assault women.

Likewise, having someone from a certain cultural background can help in the same fashion.
    White people can be Muslim, gays can be Republicans, most black Americans have never been to Africa. The problem is assuming that a black person must have a background in Africa, or in poverty, or in government housing. The problem is in assuming that the guy with tan skin and curly hair must have Muslim background.

So when looking for a person with a Muslim background or an African background...what do we do? Oh right! We go over their qualifications. We state that we're looking for someone with a Muslim or African background, or experience or skill with those things. And we hire on the basis of those qualifications. What we DONT do is hire on the assumption that being of a certain skin color means a person has those experiences. They're called experiences and not traits for a reason...because genetics has NOTHING to do with them.

It's not about the officers race/religion/gender/insertotherbackground making them better, it's about the people who NEED that police officer having an easier time dealing with someone they feel they can relate to on some level.
    But it is. Because from that person who needs that police officer to have those things, they will perceive the officer as worse for not having them.

So...what do we do? We hire on the basis of skills and experiences. Not perceived experiences based on skin colors.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    This woman is a volunteer in the peace corps and has been in Madagascar teaching English. This story is fake, her actual blog is intelligent, not racist, and not sexist. This is reckless journalism.

its pretty scary how quickly a single mention of someones name can start a witch hunt against them. a lot of people just look at the titles of articles without reading and automatically assume she is evil, when with a little research its clear she did not write that blog in the op. they have name and shamed someone with little evidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we can close this at this point.