Legendary Meta Gem: Shadow Priest

Hello all! I have recently put the LMG in my helm, and I used it for the first time on Heroic Ji'Kun. A mage in our raid happened to have gotten his at the same time. I really don't know how mages work, but he was like 40k above me. Again, I don't know what he has going for him that I can't match, but I noticed some things during the fight that was causing me to have seriously different numbers from attempt to attempt.

So yeah the extra ticks we get from dots when the LMG is nice, but there were 30-40k jumps in my dps when it procced with 3xDP to cast and follow with insanity. However, if this happened when on the nests, there wasn't that gain. Obviously, because a bird doesn't survive a that many insanity casts. So IF I was proccing the LMG, and was at the edge of a 3xDP, and was on the platform to cast on Ji'Kun, and didn't have to fly for a buff or get myself to another platform durring the cast, and didn't have to move from a caw or green food pool, THEN I was at 145-160k. When these many many things did not align, I was sitting at 110-120k.

I don't know if holding my 3xDP casts off until I get back to the platform would be a DPS gain, or if I know I have to move to a nest before I will get to 3xDP, whether casting with LMG proccing but only 2xDP on Ji'Kun as opposed to 3xDP on hatchlings when I get to the nest is a DPS gain. Not to mention the factor of all the other things I have that proc added to this. I am know this isn't a complete and detailed description of everything going on during this fight, but I know the pros on here know what's happening and how to max the dmg with all of the variables. I am eager to hear what suggestions you all have.

Lastly I would like to say what I am guessing is happening in comparing myself to my raids Mage. Basically, Combustion Vs. channeled spell that has to have roughly 18 sec (with gcds) to gear up 3xDP just to use and not have to move during the 4+ full casts of insanity. If this is the case, then wtf Blizz, just wtf!? And I invite all others to comment on us possibly getting the raw end of the deal here in comparison to other classes in detail, because knowing where it fails us is an opportunity to know how better to use it. Again hinging on my assumption being close to the mark.

I dont have that gem myself yet, so cant be sure. But i would imagine that it is as you say. That gem is better for mages and destro locks that it will be for SP's. Simply becouse they have a rotation that allows them to burst on demand, while we dont realy have that. On the other side, i immagine that we can pull out some sick dips if where lucky, for example. When we have 3 stack up, and the crit trinket proccs at the same time. Meaning 40 sec dotts a full DP and 4 insanity's. However, on moste occations the gem will be better for them then for us.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're comparing Combustion (a dps cooldown) to what's basically our filler (Mind Flay) until we get insanity. Ji'Kun isn't the best fight to judge this on. Was your mage flying? You didn't mention that. Your job on that fight is to kill the bird in the nests. If they died you did your job.

I got my meta last week. All we've done so far this week is H Jin'rohk and I had a 10K dps increase from last week and I had to move MORE than I did last week. It's all about proper play with it really.

shadow's dps is 10-20% below mages and warlocks on basically every fight this tier, except horridon. to make up for it, we have demonic gateways which allow a raid to bypass multiple raid mechanics by stacking our class. oh wait.

it isn't even so much our weak cooldowns (though it doesn't help) so much as how badly we get penalized for movement when compared to mages and locks, especially if we have to move during DP uptime.

In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GGA1759 View Post
    Yep. /10char

We made some more attempts tonight, and It was the same. When trinks lined up nicely and there was no food buff to grab or nest to get to just as I hit DP then I was at 160k and when the procs were all over and at bad times then I would be around 120k. Obviously movement kills us unnaturally, but seeing as how my movement was essentially the same the whole time, it seems that the proc alignment is the cause of a big dps swing too. The comparison to the mage, justflayin, is a comment about the fact that combustion is an instant and goes to the movement issue we have. The main point I was trying to get at is that if we are subject to the same proc chances, but we are limited by channeled vs instant big dps spells, then there is no way I should keep up on this kind of a movement fight. Added to that, the fact that to get the max out of our channel we need our procs to stay up from the time we cast DP through the full channel time, we would be that much further behind a class that just needs them to line up long enough to get an instant off.

What really bugs me about all of this is that it seems like blizz is in no hurry to fix these obvious flaws. It seems as if they only think there are 2 healing specs to this class and that is all. They did a good boosting single target dps with the PI/Insanity combo, now they just need to address the nature of our movement dmg problems. However if the fact that they loaded up so much dps into this channeled spell doesn't change somehow, we will still be behind some others that don't need to have their procs stay up or line up as well as we do in order to maximize the dps during that time. Mind Flay while moving might fix the movement issue, but it would still be crippled (comparatively) more than classes with large instant spells. But, we all got to make an effort to hone in on the issues and make a big stink to blizz about it.

yeah, honestly, i have very low expectations for shadow vs rest of the rdps this expac. our utility is extremely weak (maybe the change to VE will help, but i'm doubtful) and we have the worst mobility dps out of all classes, especially if an encounter has both movement phases & aoe which can really tax our mana bar (which just about no other rdps class has to worry about). hoping that they pull their heads out of their asses for t16 set bonuses, but i'm not holding my breath considering that they managed to design t15 in such a way that our mobility dps actually got worse.

^ Offtopic: the change of VE, if it's like how it's worded, will be an unintentional nerf unless they buff the healing percentage as the total healing done doesn't change, but it will be divided to more people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snaxattax View Post
    shadow's dps is 10-20% below mages and warlocks on basically every fight this tier, except horridon. to make up for it, we have demonic gateways which allow a raid to bypass multiple raid mechanics by stacking our class. oh wait.

it isn't even so much our weak cooldowns (though it doesn't help) so much as how badly we get penalized for movement when compared to mages and locks, especially if we have to move during DP uptime.
    Abandon ship and roll Atonement DPS this tier. It's 90% of a healer and 60% of a DPS at the same time with zero effort.