Space exploration/colonization game

Suggest one please. I'm looking for either a good 4X game or, preferably, a game about building/maintaining space colonies. I've played Sins of the Solar Empire, and I like it, but RTS gets a bit hectic after a while. Also played Alpha Centauri.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

15+ Year Old Account
    Tried Galactic Civilizations 2 ?
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

You really can't go wrong with Master of Orion 1 and 2 even though they're incredibly old at this point. Avoid 3 like the plague however. GC 2 is a great game as well. There is one that is about to come out that is worth a look as well, it's called Star Drive on Steam. Reminds me very much of the old MoO games.

Deleted
    Maybe x3 Terran Conflict or X3 Albion Prelude. Both are huge free roaming space games where you can do what you want, become a security patrol, pirate, taxi driver, trader etc etc. The game has a big live dynamic economy over 150-200 sectors that you trade between stations and manipulate and alter through your own trades.

Eventually you will build many AI universe trader ships that trade/earn cash for you while you mess about saving the galaxy. You can also build your own stations for trading or factories for making Ore, energy cells or anything else traded in game really that can change the balance of trade routes and power, that might eventually make you enemies with a few of the many factions in game.

Eventually you could build a huge empire with loads of stations and 100's of traders and security ships to protect them all, will take hours n hours tho..

You could also just buy huuge missiles and destroy the other factions stations and HQ and wipe out the opposition, tho its expensive to do..

The game is complex but worth learning as theres nothing quite like it for features and depth of options and commands.

Theres also x-rebirth coming out soon but will probs take a few patches to be playable like every x game released.
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2013-04-19 at 12:14 PM.

Homeworld 1+2 (still in love with this game)
    Masters of Orion 1+2 (never played 3, is it really that bad?)
    Galactic Civilisations 1+2
    Ascendancy (played the demo like 100 times but never got to play the full version somehow)
    maybe x3/eve online if you like to fly yourself and still have some economic factor

but yeah Masters of Orion 2 is still the pinnacle of space empire domination games imho.

Endless space!

A 4x space exploration game that came out last year and is more or less an inofficial successor to Master of Orion. Nice graphics, solid gameplay and players can vote for content additions on their homepage.

Is available on steam.

For me, as a former MoO player, it was all I needed

Edit: Just created this account only to tell you how awesome it is - so at least have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanitius View Post
    Homeworld 1+2 (still in love with this game)
    Masters of Orion 1+2 (never played 3, is it really that bad?)
    Galactic Civilisations 1+2
    Ascendancy (played the demo like 100 times but never got to play the full version somehow)
    maybe x3/eve online if you like to fly yourself and still have some economic factor

but yeah Masters of Orion 2 is still the pinnacle of space empire domination games imho.
    MoO 3 is so terrible that it is nearly impossible to believe that it came after 2. This is probably one of the worst AAA games of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Tried Galactic Civilizations 2 ?
    This. If you can find the full pack (it had 2-3 expansions), then you'll be in for a treat. GalCiv2 would be my favorite 4X, edging past both MOO2 and SMAX.