Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Easiest class to level and raid?

First off I want to say, I'm not trying to top dps meters or be the number 1 in a guild.

I have both a Mage and priest that I haven't touched since cata and would like to pick one up for this expansion. Which one is more self sufficient? Or more specifically, easier to level. For Mage, I could mostly just spam arcane blast until I crit the heck out of my enemy. As for priest, I don't recall any lazy mode leveling method for them. Plus last I touched them, they tend to go out of mana faster than mages.

Leveling aside, in raids, for dps, which of the two is easier to "get" or understand? Arcane dps is fairly straight forward for me.

I guess ultimately this is kind of a "how are priests" thread. But mages should chime in too!

Remember this isn't about topping charts or being super pro in pvp!

P.s. which one is better at soloing old raids?

There's no class that's ultimately just "lolroflstompraid".

Every class is different for people, and some will manage one class over another decently.

You have to find out for yourself which class you're best with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had easy time leveling my shadow priest, I have not had any issue with mana, shadow is so op in pvp they are nerfing it every time, I topped killing blows on RBG with my PVE gear ilvl 508.

They've made it so that nearly every spec besides pure healers are pretty self-subsistent and shouldn't have too much difficulty leveling.

Whatever you have the most fun playing is going to end up be the "easiest," since time flies when you're having fun. You kids know about that saying still, right?

Since you mention shadow is getting nerfed in pvp, am I coming into the class at a bad time? Of course everybody has their own way of playing, but I'm just gathering your opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post
    Since you mention shadow is getting nerfed in pvp, am I coming into the class at a bad time? Of course everybody has their own way of playing, but I'm just gathering your opinions.
    Don't worry too much about nerfs, classes are always getting tweaked. I'd start leveling both and see which one you tend to like better and then stick with that one if you only want to run one toon. Personally I suck at shadow, love to heal so that's not a big deal however a guildie of mine loves his spriest, while a couple guildies swear by their mages (I can't play a mage myself as I find them too squishy).

10+ Year Old Account
    Death Knight, You will do tons of DPS without even knowing what your doing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Farnswurth View Post
    There's no class that's ultimately just "lolroflstompraid".

Every class is different for people, and some will manage one class over another decently.

You have to find out for yourself which class you're best with.
    Yeah there is no Class that's ultimately just "lolroflstompraid" but there is a Hero Class that is "lolroflstompraid".
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionspride View Post
    Death Knight, You will do tons of DPS without even knowing what your doing
    Yeah not really i see very terrible dks that do cataclysm dps @ lvl 90..
    But DK, Hunter and Mage are one of easier classes to start out.

Priest is the easiest for me by far. It feels the most natural and I feel at ease while playing it, I've solo'd most of the old content with little to no issues up to cover most of wrath, still experimenting. But as others have said its all purely based on the person the only way for you to find out is to start trying it out for yourself.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

The class that is easiest to level and raid with is the one you enjoy playing the most. Nothing more, nothing less.

Destro Lock. Hit 90 early mop and ignored it till I heard about green fire, then in 5.2 I switch to it as my main and never looked back. It's fun, it's easy. Does great dps and is very self sufficient, ie self heals/shields and the like.

Ele shaman seems to be extremely simple and has the added benefit of allowing you to switch to Resto in more or less the same gear.

Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    Yeah there is no Class that's ultimately just "lolroflstompraid" but there is a Hero Class that is "lolroflstompraid".
    If you REALLY think a DK is "lolroflstompraid" then you're completely bad at countering them, PVP wise.

If you REALLY think a DK is "lolroflstompraid" then you're completely bad at countering them, PVP wise.
    And who said this post was about PVP?

My main is a Frost Dk, i used to RBG and i know we are burst with little survivability. No one said anything about PVP. We are amazing at Dps, especially if you know what you're doing.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Priest. You can heal, which gives you instant queues in LFR (if you plan on doing that). Queue on your mage, and be prepared for a 45 min wait.

As for leveling, shadow works great, and you won't have mana issues.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    healing - Hpally is pretty straight forward and dont require a ton of maintenance.

dps - mut rogues are pretty easy and do decent dps.

tanking - druids require one macro and the ability to stay awake.
    You cared enough to post.

It depends. If you like burst pick the Mage, and if you like DoTs pick the Priest.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to personal experience, I would probably recommend a ranged DPS. You won't put yourself into a position where one screw up can cause a wipe, and questing will be fine if you don't do anything too wrong. If you would pick a clothie, though, make sure to bring food (any level relevant food will do, though), stuff hitting you will hurt, especially with your already not generous health pool.