Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Guardian Newbiee

Hello all,
    First of all, I dont raid regulary anymore due to bad worktimes. But i do clear lfr every week as resto since that is my main spec.

So yesterday my guild was going to do a 10 man run to gear up the ones that mostly sit on the bench or are new to the guild and there´s 25 man progression. They asked me to tank since healing spots was full allready. I gladly accept it since i want to help guild and want to learn more about the guardian style.
    At Horridon i met my first problem and i couldnt find the answer why in earth i had so much problem with the adds, they ran off all the time for me. Horridon it self was no problem. Just thee´se adds. Well sometimes i could blame dps or healers cuz they where standing wayyy to far away and got aggro when they spawned and didnt run to me.

So i would gladly get some tips and tricks here.
    My druid: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...uremorn/simple
    Gear is some leftover from earlier raids in T14 tier since i played resto there. But any helpful tips here would be great to.
    Thx Teaz

You should get your hit/expertise caps, including over mastery and stam, this will help with aggro and survival, maximizing rage gen for maintaining your active defenses is better than your focus on passive stuff.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you simple mean i should go for a rage build with crit and stamina focus. And caps for hit/exp? =) Instead of a mitigation build?

Deleted
    Yes, crit build ftw!

horridon is rough on threat, several mobs all over the place, dps wont let you rest.. its not like its hard to keep threat in this day and age, its just people are single targetting/multidotting all mobs as they fall down.

Best thing you can do is plant yourself in the mid, aoe a much as you can, taunt mobs that get loose, and when the duo of mobs come out, fearie fire one and go to the other asap to mangle it, and check again on your faerie fired one to see if you sitll have threat (You probably wont).

Of course you can always ask your guild to help you by not going balls out as they go down.. which is probably not happening lol, maybe ask for MDs? Especiallly when the 2 special adds come down, ask to MD one side and you grab the other?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your armory says last talent point is missing. Armory bug or did you not select one for your Guardian spec? (Just in case you were not aware, sorry for derailing the thread.)
    Surrounded by idiots

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schaapa View Post
    Your armory says last talent point is missing. Armory bug or did you not select one for your Guardian spec? (Just in case you were not aware, sorry for derailing the thread.)
    LoL you are right, I am actually missing last talent. As title says..Newbiee :P

---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 02:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyen View Post
    horridon is rough on threat, several mobs all over the place, dps wont let you rest.. its not like its hard to keep threat in this day and age, its just people are single targetting/multidotting all mobs as they fall down.

Best thing you can do is plant yourself in the mid, aoe a much as you can, taunt mobs that get loose, and when the duo of mobs come out, fearie fire one and go to the other asap to mangle it, and check again on your faerie fired one to see if you sitll have threat (You probably wont).

Of course you can always ask your guild to help you by not going balls out as they go down.. which is probably not happening lol, maybe ask for MDs? Especiallly when the 2 special adds come down, ask to MD one side and you grab the other?
    And you are guessing right, they are nuking the shit out of them as soon as they come down or out. Will try your suggestions and tell ppl to stay on door sides..Saw some ppl running away from me when they got aggro instead of running to me.. Damn casters!
    Thx for the input mate.

Deleted
    Some adds on Horidon are not meant to be tanked, they just ignore you and charge to people. Some others they just do shitty dmg so you dont have to worry too much about them. Consentrate on grabbing the big adds and dinomancer asap. The little adds try and grab as many as you can, the rest let the dps that pulled them to finish them off (they have so low health anyway).

10+ Year Old Account
    A threat build will help picking up adds, as someone else said active mitigation is far better than passive these days. I dislike bear tanking now, but it is more on par with other styles instead of being a sponge with no control over your own health.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Adds on Horridon is easy for a Guardian (talking normal here). You should be able to have incarnvation/NV up for each time you're on a door making it really easy to run around gathering your mobs with the press of one button and a taunt with no CD.
    Last edited by rated; 2013-04-21 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaz View Post
    And you are guessing right, they are nuking the shit out of them as soon as they come down or out. Will try your suggestions and tell ppl to stay on door sides..Saw some ppl running away from me when they got aggro instead of running to me.. Damn casters!
    Another potential issue may be how your raid is positioning for each door, since I couldn't really tell from reading through the thread. What we tend to do on heroic (although it is easily applied to normal), is have the adds tank roughly near where adds come from the doorways and drop from the upper stadium, then we have the ranged/healers further back towards the next door to be activated. This basic setup has the adds appearing near the tank, and any ranged/healer aggro on adds will have the adds needing to run through you (the tank). This setup also allows for steady progression towards the next doorway to activate if the raid slowly moves away from poison puddles, sand traps, etc.

The add spawn areas, or where adds land from the upper stadium, are fixed. Therefore, when the 2 adds drop from above, you can pre-position yourself at one while the other will likely be running towards you from healer/ranged aggro. As rated mentioned, if you alternate tanking Horridon and adds, you should have Incarnation available for spam-taunting adds if necessary, as well as Mangles every GCD. While I don't want to stray too far from talking about just Guardian, sometimes marking an important target for the DPS to focus (if this isn't already being done) can actually help with picking up the adds if people pay attention to the marks. Generally the targets that would required marking are the ones that you should primarily care about picking up and having die first anyways.

With respect to the specific doors, the 3rd doorway to activate might have been the one where you likely thought you lost control of the situation, but most of those mobs cannot be tanked, with the exception of the three elites that drop the Frost Orbs (their name escapes me, I always call them the wrong thing anyways). All the other doorway adds have a threat table that allows you to tank them properly, but the 3 adds and Dinomancers that drop down from the upper stadium at each door are generally the most important ones for you to pick up immediately.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2013-04-22 at 07:09 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Frozen warlords. Most people die on that door cause they try to DPS the adds that have no threat table instead of stacking up and burning the war lords. Then the war lords summon a bunch of frost orbs and no one moves and it's just a slaughter.

Once you burn warlords and kite away from orbs it's really one of the easiest doors. (I find poison and totem door more annoying)
    Last edited by rated; 2013-04-22 at 02:08 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thx all for the suggestions and feedback. I take it with me and try it out.

Another question I have thought about is trinkets. Since i just do LFR and sometimes when guild wants/needs me in 10m normal I wonder what i should aim for here.
    I do think i got one proper trinket, the other one (blue) is good but i should be able to find a good upgrade for it.
    Cheers