Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Because there has to be this inherent risk from players straying into either higher level regions or into regions controlled primarily or entirely by the opposing faction.
    The problem with PvP realms is nothing to do with the mechanics, but from the attitude of players.
    That lack of control allows someone to be an ass, and very often they take full advantage.

Because that is the kind of excitement you can have while walking around. It's the reason why I play a PvP server. I want to have the excitement of being able to get attacked by a player any possible moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what PvP servers are for. Ganking players who do not want to engage in PvP with you. That is the sum and entire point of the PvP ruleset. Literally every other kind of PvP exists on PvP servers;

Arenas? Check.
    Battlegrounds? Check.
    Duels? Check.
    City raids? Check.
    Instanced world PvP like Wintergrasp/Tol Barad? Check.
    Consensual world PvP? Check.
    Non-consensual world PvP, also called "ganking"? PvP server only.

World PvP between consenting level 90s, or between people you encounter while leveling of a similar level where you both go "yes, I would like to kill you", that all exists, and has always existed, on PvE servers. The ONLY difference on PvP servers is that you're automatically "flagged" for PvP outside of sanctuary zones, and can be killed by anyone of the opposing faction, at any time, period. That's the entire point of the server type. If you don't like it and think it sucks, you should be on a PvE server. It is not the server type's fault that you did not understand what you were getting into.

Some of us knew exactly what it meant, because we read up on the server type before choosing one, and chose PvP servers for precisely this reason. I enjoy the threat of gankers. And I'm not remembering an earlier, more peaceful era, either; I've leveled two toons to 90 since CRZ was brought in. Post-CRZ is more like Vanilla leveling than anything we've had since.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltas View Post
    My personal problem with world PVP is that I can't hop onto my main and gank them back, usually.

They're always in a different CRZ that I can't phase into. That just makes it annoying and stupid. (especially places like shrine of goldrinn, where my max toons are all phased out of.)
    That's not CRZ, that's normal phasing. CRZ is set; if you were CRZing with their server in Mount Hyjal on your lowbie, when you fly up there on your main, it'll still be CRZed with their server. And when you come back next week, it'll still be CRZed with them. They can update the CRZ connections, and do, but it isn't dynamic, it's manual, and they'll only change it if the mix isn't right for some reason.

What you're seeing is people at an earlier stage of the zone than you're phased to, and that has nothing to do with CRZ.

Edit: It also doesn't help that resilience scaling is so high as of right now that unless they are REALLY bad, I can't win without full pvp gear.
    Yes, people with full PvP gear will tend to beat you in PvP. That's deliberate. You aren't supposed to have a fair shot against the fully Conquest-geared ganker, with your fresh 90 in quest greens/blues (or even LFR epics, for that matter).

Deleted
    I dont mind getting killed by a high level character. Even ganked. Its not a problem and I almost kinda enjoy it. Its always fun to try to run away from the ganker.
    There are a few solutions tho if it gets too frustrating.
    a) dont play on a pvp server
    b)take a break
    c) pwn them with ur main
    d) join a bg or a dungeon so u at least get a break from the ganker.

But I dont think Ive ever been ganked so hard that it got really annoying. But maybe its just me not getting annoyed by it

Edit: yeah, I just enjoy the game too much. Doesnt matter if the only thing Im doing is running to my corpse, everything is fine. I never get angry or frustrated when playing wow. I just have fun and if Im not having fun Ill do something else
    Last edited by mmoc562e1aede6; 2013-04-21 at 07:21 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I take great joy in ganking lowbies til they log off or call for high level help. People that whine or compare it to rl bullies need to grow a spine or reroll to PVE server. The best part of this game is making the other faction miserable.
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted
    if you dont like the chance of being ganked then go play a pve server,.......if your on a pvp server then you play with the risks associated with that simple as.

What you dont do is come on here crying, trying to make out every other person should have there game impacted because you take dying on a video game way to seriously, you are not a special little snowflake, ganking is part of life on a pvp server most of us accept it and even enjoy ir if you dont then fuck off....simple, change the way you play(ie go to pve) if you have a problem dont expect the game to change for you.

/end thread

Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    if you dont like the chance of being ganked then go play a pve server,.......if your on a pvp server then you play with the risks associated with that simple as.

What you dont do is come on here crying, trying to make out every other person should have there game impacted because you take dying on a video game way to seriously, you are not a special little snowflake, ganking is part of life on a pvp server most of us accept it and even enjoy ir if you dont then fuck off....simple, change the way you play(ie go to pve) if you have a problem dont expect the game to change for you.

/end thread
    This
    Don't complain on the forums about something that is your own fault. You chose to play on a pvp server. The realistic 'danger' factor is part of the reason that leveling on a pvp server is more exciting. If you don't feel the same way then feel free to server transfer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because PvP realm.

Because this is World PvP, baby. World PvP = ganking and unfair fights. What did you expect, a friendly hug from another faction? The very sense and soul of PvP servers lies in ganking. It is up to me to decide whether I want attack and kill that filthy blood elf, and kill, and kill again, and then kill his filthy main and filthy mains of his friends, or leave him alone because today I'm generous. Take this thing from PvP server and you'll end up in pve world, because (surprise-surprise!) there is as much "fair" pvp going on on pve servers as on pvp servers. Only difference between them is Ganking.
    So, please, stop that nonsense about fair pvp on pvp servers. Nobody ever will ask your permission to kill you, really. It is a war, and you're on the opposite side, so survive whatever it takes. Or die trying. If that's too harsh for you... well, you know where the transfer button is.
    ps. Oh dear, how I miss those days of neverending fun in Tarren Mill and STV. I almost feel sorry for Blizzard, they try to resurrect world pvp, but they don't realize it is impossible today with all this nice and sweet dota-generation "Oh-how-the-hell-he-dares-killing-me-on-pvp-server" players.
    Last edited by l33t; 2013-04-21 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Because sometimes, if you kill them in a creative way, it's terribly entertaining.
    That is very true, personlly i level via Dung/BG finder all the way up to about lvl 84, then i quest and in Pandaria there is no CRZ and i rarely get killed by a lvl 90, funny thing is that with say a mage, you can kite the stupid enemy player to oblivion, if it is a melee and they just run away and CBA to kill you

How popular is world PvP outside of ganking anyway?
    I haven't heard of any organized world PvP since late BC/early Wrath to be honest, which makes me think that world PvP really isn't that big of a thing nowadays.
    And that could be credited to most PvP servers being dominated by one faction, making world PvP impossible.
    To be honest, i wouldn't shed a tear if Blizzard decided to turn the PvP servers into PvE/RP servers.

No, the middle ground you want already exists in a server type. Its called PVE servers. THAT is the middle ground between NO pvp and ALL pvp. So go there and have fun whenever you want.
    No, there is no middle ground. It's either 'I don't want to pvp out in the world, so I roll a pve server' or 'I want to get ganked by players I can't possibly hope to ever kill out in the world, so I roll a pvp server.' There is no 'I want to engage only players my level out in the world because I want a challenging but fair fight without the interference of some random ass hat level 90 who just happens to see a free kill.'

When Blizzard came up with the server rules, everyone was a level 1 player embarking on a long journey to explore Azeroth. Back then, mount training didn't even happen until level 40, cost 100g, and was something you had to save up for. Back then, there weren't even any quests or dungeons past level 40, and the only way to hit the level cap was to grind on mobs all day.

When those pvp rules were created, the most common situation of world pvp was a bunch of lowbies who just happened to be leveling and engaging in pvp. You didn't have level 60s flying around looking for lowbies to gank, and the few level 60s you DID see, didn't just come up and one shot you and then teabag you. Instead, they had to watch out who they tired to gank because a group of lowbies could just turn around and kill them instead.

If level 60 was still the cap, if gear in general was crappy blues and greens that came from dungeons and quests, and if being level 60 was still a rare achievement, then you would have a point in disagreeing with us. However, since the game has changed, since Flying has been added, since level 90 character have 50-130 times the HP and other stats as low level characters, something has to change. Something has to give.

Otherwise, the world will continue to be a dead zone where only the most uninformed noobs venture out there to be killed because they simply don't know any better.

Its just dismissing any real arguments here
    You mean like the 'pvp happened on a pvp server suck it up and L2P noobs' argument? Because that's a well reasoned and thought out argument, I'm sure. Being able to gank lowbies doesn't make any sense any more. You can't even come up with a good reason why it should be allowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerfenus View Post
    How popular is world PvP outside of ganking anyway?
    I haven't heard of any organized world PvP since late BC/early Wrath to be honest, which makes me think that world PvP really isn't that big of a thing nowadays.
    And that could be credited to most PvP servers being dominated by one faction, making world PvP impossible.
    To be honest, i wouldn't shed a tear if Blizzard decided to turn the PvP servers into PvE/RP servers.
    why does pvp have to be organized? if I wanted `organized` pvp id do bgs or arena...I find this incredibly dull. I much prefer to make my own pvp out in the open world.....Ill have fun invading a low level area as a high level player and see how long I can keep up the kill spree until someone brings in the Calvary and hunt me out.

Ill have fun tracking and hunting opp faction players of the same level when I run into them...I stike when they are least prepared and waste them before disappearing into the shadows.

Sometimes when im in the mood for all out warfare ill pop all my cool downs and go steaming into someone I come across.

THIS is world pvp, I like doing it my own way, making my own pvp, using the environment even for advantage,

yes 40 man city raids were fun back in the day but you dont need organisation to make world pvp fun....in fact the more chaotic and random the better, never knowing who your going to run into, what there skill level is, doing it by yourself with no healer etc and adjusting to the situation takes more skill then any preset everyone knowing the best class combos and using them boring arena style pvp in this game.

And when you dont want a challenge and you just want to slay....thats what ganking is for.

pvp servers we can do it whatever way we like, you guys seem to want to take that freedom away from players, thats why I have such a problem with you, you dont like me ganking you, fine log onto your damn main and hunt me down dont come on the forums whining like a carebear!

No nothing has to give at all. Its fine the way it is. Don't like pvp servers? Don't roll on them. You are trying to take away a mechanic many many people are fine with. If pvp servers were so terrible, they would be on the decline. But thats simply not true.

You are ignoring the middle ground. You can flag yourself on a pve server and fight when and where you want. If there is a 90 rolling around, ignore him and don't flag.

You are also wrong about the whole questing past 40 thing.

Yes, there have been many fine arguments that include "its pvp on a pvp server." Its a 100% legitimate argument. You know why? You chose to be there. You choose to continue to play there. I don't need to defend anything. Just refute you, which many people have done to the Op and yourself. You know where you can't gank lowbies? PVE servers. You are trying to take something away because you can't handle it. You know what the mature, and more logical thing to do would be? Switch servers. I'm 100% fine with being ganked. I don't corpse camp lowbies. So why the fuck are you trying to punish me and take away my enjoyment? Who do you think you are? Grow up, or grow a pair.

You are like the old housewives in the 90's trying to ban explicit music, because you don't like it. If you don't like cursing in music, don't listen. But who the hell do you think you are to try to take away something from everyone else in the entire world or WoW community.

Again, you have many options, but like a child you want to stomp your feet and have this game only cater to YOU. You can do BG/Arena/World BGS or just try pvping in level 90 zones. You can roll pve and flag yourself when you see an even leveled opponent. You can deflag yourself when someone starts camping you. THERE IS YOUR MIDDLE GROUND. Are you level 30 in STV? want to pick a fight with someone? Well flag yourself and see what happens! I fyou both consent, pvp will ensue. If a high level shows up, wait the 5 minutes to deflag and BOOM no more ganking problems.

Why does something have to give? Why does something have to change? You know what I'd like to see changed? I would like for you and the Op to stop whining and join a PVE server and everything would be the better. Why don't you give in and do it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    No, there is no middle ground. It's either 'I don't want to pvp out in the world, so I roll a pve server' or 'I want to get ganked by players I can't possibly hope to ever kill out in the world, so I roll a pvp server.' There is no 'I want to engage only players my level out in the world because I want a challenging but fair fight without the interference of some random ass hat level 90 who just happens to see a free kill.'
    This is incorrect. Your first option, "I don't want to PvP out in the world", and your third, "I want to engage only players my level out in the world because I want a challenging and fair fight", those are both PvE servers.

You can freely flag yourself for PvP at any time, on a PvE server. Your first option only exists as a separate creature if there were some server type where you could never PvP in the world, ever. That server type does not exist. There are only PvE servers, where you can choose to PvP whenever you like, or PvP servers, where you're automatically always flagged for PvP.

When those pvp rules were created, the most common situation of world pvp was a bunch of lowbies who just happened to be leveling and engaging in pvp. You didn't have level 60s flying around looking for lowbies to gank, and the few level 60s you DID see, didn't just come up and one shot you and then teabag you. Instead, they had to watch out who they tired to gank because a group of lowbies could just turn around and kill them instead.
    As someone who leveled up plenty during Vanilla, the only bit you're correct about is the "flying around" part. They just rode around on epic mounts that were way faster than any ground mount a non-60 could have, looking for lowbies to one-shot. Which they absolutely could, unless you were closer in level, like a group of level 48s or some such.

All that's happened in regards to levels is that the power level has continued to scale up, as you'd expect, with additional levels added to the game.

Otherwise, the world will continue to be a dead zone where only the most uninformed noobs venture out there to be killed because they simply don't know any better.
    Plenty of people still quest these days, even on PvP servers with CRZ. It was faster, for me, to quest my way to 90, rather than using dungeons, post-CRZ, even with all the ganking people are complaining about. I only hit a few hiccups in a couple zones; Blasted Lands and Mount Hyjal. Everything else was smooth sailing.

You mean like the 'pvp happened on a pvp server suck it up and L2P noobs' argument? Because that's a well reasoned and thought out argument, I'm sure. Being able to gank lowbies doesn't make any sense any more. You can't even come up with a good reason why it should be allowed.
    They don't need a "good reason". If you don't like it, play on a PvE server. That's how the server system has been intended to work since launch. That hasn't changed, in any way.

this question can be answered by another question.
    If you get killed as a lvl 30 something by a lvl 90 whatever, he/she most likely do it because it ammuses him. so why would it not be allowed, just because 50% of the people involved don't like it?
    this has been around since vanilla. but they fixed it in tbc or wrath (don't remember wich patch allowed you to transfer from pve-pvp). don't like getting killed by other players in unfair situations? lvl on a pve realm, then transfer to a pvp realm when you are max lvl. oooooor, OOOOOOOOR, just stay at the pve realm and you never have to worry about other people getting the upper hand, cause you can always be the first to attack, as long as you don't have /pvp on. if some1 else is activated for pvp, you simply open on him, and you will have the upper hand, kinda like being higher level rly. this suddenly got to be alot more than just answering a question with a question. but rly, be creative and you won't be having to write whiny posts on the forums every other day

Just because you rolled on a pvp server does not mean the game should fill your zone up with bored 90s (that are not on your server) that will spawncamp you as soon as they see you.
    N

So this is a one sided argument thread that no matter what we say will the OP agree with. It's pointless and its him telling us "facts" he doesn't want to hear what we have to say.

I never got why they didn't want to improve the game with some kind of dmg scaling, higher lvls would still have an advantage with gear and unlocked abilities.

Probably the same reason why they rarely balance the game below max lvl, that the game isn't worth it.

Dmg scaling should make the world more alive, less of a need to lvl up as fast as possible and hide in instances. Personally I miss decent world pvp, still happens but so very rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I know what to do when that happens, the question still remains why not actually do something against it? Nobody likes it, and people always complain about it.
    The person doing the killing likes it. The person dying is the one doing all the complaining. Sometimes it's hoping that lowbie will log into their main and come looking and maybe even bring friends. Sometimes it's boredom. Sometimes peoples just like being dicks. $15 is $15. You want a water and a salad, I'm getting them wings and a beer.