Ji-Kun Combat log: Not working as intended.

Just throwing this out there:

A friend and I decided to test out the combat log on the nests (upper and lower). We discovered the first nest (the one that spawns first) is Y=~70 and X=~65 (Did this with the feathers and range finder after a Ji-Kun kill) meaning the center of the room is ~135 yards away from the first nest at a ~90 degree angle (Roughly). However, the combat log doesn't register anything being done on that nest. The combat log is stated to pick up 200 yards, but the nest is 135 yards roughly.

So, that means that 1. World of Logs is incorrect to check on that fight. 2. Could be a great explanation on how Blizzard is terrible at X-Axis fights and the "pathing" for pets is broken for this reason. Something in that room is not right obviously.

Found this interesting and thought I'd share to see what everyone else thinks.

Deleted
    Put this into your Config.wtf file within the WTF folder:

Code:
    SET CombatLogRangeParty "200"
    SET CombatLogRangePartyPet "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayers "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayersPets "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayers "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayersPets "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeCreature "200"

Quote Originally Posted by Kasc View Post
    Put this into your Config.wtf file within the WTF folder:

Code:
    SET CombatLogRangeParty "200"
    SET CombatLogRangePartyPet "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayers "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayersPets "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayers "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayersPets "200"
    SET CombatLogRangeCreature "200"
    These CVar's haven't existed in the game for many, many years. Players have no control or influence over the combat log range.

Which is a massive problem because if the log isn't registering something that's only 135 yards away from the dead center of the room.... That makes you wonder how the room is actually built.

The Z coordinate is not accessible to players. I assume they were using a map coordinate addon to get the X and Y, which makes it impossible to calculate the actual distance to the Jikun nests. However, assuming that 70 and 65 are both relatively correct numbers (but rounding the 65 to 70 for consistency and a bit of lenience in distance), then the third number of the equation would need to be greater than 175 in order to pass the 200 combat log range. If the Y coordinate to an upper nest is 70, then we can presume from knowledge of the visual space in Jikuns room (as most of us have probably been in it and therefore seen said space), that the Z axis being greater than 175 is unlikely but not impossible.

Even if the Z coordinate of the furthest nest was double the distance of the center of the main platform to the edge of the nest wall, that would still only be 140 and smaller than 175.

Numbers:
    sqrt((0 - 70)^2 + (0 - 70)^2 + (0 - 175)^2) = 201.06

HOWEVER:
    You said this is from the dead center of the main platform. Chances are players are standing on the opposite side of this platform, giving extra space between them and the upper nests that are on the opposite side. I would gather it is possible from this inclusion of an additional radius length that those nests will exceed the 200 range combat log.

For example, let's assume that the nest is 70, 70, 140 (or twice as high as it is far) from the center of the room. Someone standing on the other side would be at another 50-70 on the X or Y, meaning the distance would be 70, 120, 140 - 70, 140, 140. This means the distance would be either:
    sqrt((0 - 70)^2 + (0 - 120)^2 + (0 - 140)^2) = 197.23
    or
    sqrt((0 - 70)^2 + (0 - 140)^2 + (0 - 140)^2) = 210

Both at the limit of the combat log.

Being more lenient, and if we assume the nest is only at half the distance, than we have 70, 70, ((70/2)+70) = 105. Again, the equations for this are:
    sqrt((0 - 70)^2 + (0 - 70)^2 + (0 - 105)^2) = 144.31 --- Center of the room

sqrt((0 - 70)^2 + (0 - 120)^2 + (0 - 105)^2) = 174.14
    or
    sqrt((0 - 70)^2 + (0 - 140)^2 + (0 - 105)^2) = 188.48

Someone correct me if my math is wrong here. From this I can only assume that, at minimum, the nests are at a distance ratio greater than 1.5 of the main platform itself. Positioning of the player on the X and Y relative to other sides of the platform (rather than the origin) would increase this and make it very possible that the distance between logger and upper nest exceeds the combat log range.

I don't think this is broken or not working as intended. There's nothing inherently special about this particular room that should affect the way the combat log works. It's simply a big room where people are very spread out
    Last edited by Nakauri; 2013-04-22 at 12:46 AM.

While the Z axis isn't accessible "directly" to players, doesn't mean you can't measure it as long as you have 2 players with feathers and abilities with different range (say 30 vs 35 || 40 yd)

Yeah people are spread out, but we tried testing from the dead center of the room to the first nest, and it wasn't registering at all. That's not "very spread out" that's right where our logger stands. He had to almost stand directly on the edge of the platform before it registered anything. That's a room issue, not a distance issue.