Poll: Is There Less Innocence in the World Today?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Innocence and ignorance are nearly one in the same. As knowledge increases, innocence decreases.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    Being almost forty I can remember a time before the the Internet was prevalent and you may all mock Sandmoth but he's right; we were innocent and pure. Nobody thought bad thoughts or felt ill feeling, there certainly wasn't any violence, war or human atrocities in the golden age of mankind pre internet and we were all skipping along with our naive heads in the clouds singing songs from our "The Best of the Carpenters". Then somebody had to go and make the internet widespread and our innocence and purity went straight out the window as 4chan and reddit made their way into our homes. Because, youknow, before the internet we absolutely didn't have access to information in the form of books and our imaginations were tiny, stumpy things which struggled to visualize an acorn never mind some pretty awful, sick stuff which could taint our innocence and purity.
    No, people were no less innocent pre-Internet than they are now. The thing is that people were less informed about the real situation in the world out there back then, and you're trying to project the reality of the world, which hasn't changed much (except perhaps for the better), onto every single human and assuming it's the people who got worse instead of simply admitting that back then information about all the evil that goes on wasn't spread in such magnitude as it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    No, people were no less innocent pre-Internet than they are now. The thing is that people were less informed about the real situation in the world out there back then, and you're trying to project the reality of the world, which hasn't changed much (except perhaps for the better), onto every single human and assuming it's the people who got worse instead of simply admitting that back then information about all the evil that goes on wasn't spread in such magnitude as it is today.
    I think he was being sarcastic but it didn't come off to well

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    And now psychotics go on killing sprees carrying a hammer around and striking people in the head because it makes good video on the internet. So much better...
    Are you not aware of the fact there were phychos at every point in human history? From 1870-1920 America was haunted by Albert Fish, and child predator and cannibal for instance.

Deleted
    I don't know what you mean, the only thing I understand is that I don't like the word 'purity', it sounds like a word sects and the Spanish inquisicion use.
    And I think there is more innocence today then 100 years ago (less wars and al that stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    All you care about is the physical things:

Yay, we got new smart phones at the price of using lots of energy which comes from power plants which pollute the earth. Yay, we have fast and processed food now which makes getting food much easier than 100 yrs ago except it makes us fat, depressed, kills us faster, and makes us gluttons but I love it lol!

That's what you sound like to me. Blindly interested in physical junk with seeing its consequences.
    So why are you bitching on the internet and not building yourself a log cabin in the tundra again?

Deleted
    The world was never innocent. If you believe the world has ever been innocent you are naive at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither, i think people say that there's less "purity" or "innocence" today is because NOW we can see what happens all around the world, in the past we couldn't see that...

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Eh... innocence, purity? If you're talking about sexuality, yes, people lose their virginity earlier these days and have sex more often these days but I don't see why that's impure or guilty of anything. If you're talking about crimes, then no because crime rates only keep decreasing. If you're talking about the purity of the soul, I suggest you abandon that route because all that philosophy and gnosticism manage to achieve with such silly terms such as the innocence or purity of the soul is the belief that somehow that should be and is the center of all human affairs.

I get enough of this shit from my literature teacher (who has a major in philosophy as well), all she does is go on and on about what's on the inside and about the soul and yadda yadda and this makes her think everything physical and material (such as sex) is bad. My point is that thinking about the "soul" will get you nowhere, you'll get stuck in a loop of thinking that's all humanity's about.
    People are not having sex earlier. Older people just like to say that. In midieval times marriage at fucking 12 was not uncommon, and when people had sex it was often more akin to our modern definition of rape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    I think he was being sarcastic but it didn't come off to well
    Well, if that's true, madrox, I apologize. I'm usually bad at detecting sarcasm online. ^^

Deleted
    I wouldn't say there's any such thing as Purity. Just lack of knowledge of the real world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    People are not having sex earlier. Older people just like to say that. In midieval times marriage at fucking 12 was not uncommon, and when people had sex it was often more akin to our modern definition of rape.
    I was talking about the 20th century, specifically all living people minus the current sub-30-year-olds.

Deleted
    no,simply in the old times there was no way of knowing about it

Deleted
    Reminds me of Simplicius Simplicissimus, the first real novel in German language, describing a teenager's life sometime in the 30 years war 1618-48, printed shortly after... The way torture and rape was described there in the brutal and laconic language and from a simpleton's POV, could cause a scandal even today.