Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    And ever since the revamp in cata, unholy has put up 30 second diseases, and used FeS to bridge the gap between disease duration and outbreak cooldown, but it's never kept one set of diseases going for the whole fight before. (Glyph of disease doesn't count!)
    <Midwinter> - 14/14 HM -25m - LF exceptional raiders
    http://www.mwguild.net/
    DK Theorycrafting/Game Dev Blog
    DK Gear/log reviews/audits

Hey guys, so recently I obtained the Heroic Thunderforged Spark of Zandalar (ilvl 541) and was wondering if it would be worth using over the Shado-pan trinket (522) or the normal Primordius trinket for festerblight. The other trinket I'm using is the heroic thunderforged feather. My guild won't be killing H Primordius for at least a month. so the spark would prob be the highest ilvl option for that shot. But is it worth using because it doesn't proc immediately with my feather? Thanks!

I've seen people talk about this on the EJ thread as a theoretical DPS gain, but did anyone ever seriously test rolling Cinderglacier as well?

This was a pretty insane DPS gain back when Glyph of Disease was absolutely rampant, and I remember specifically setting up weapons with CG/FC (usually dual-wielding,) and "fishing" for both procs. It usually didn't take long at all, and many of the top raiders/theorycrafters swore by it. With the Shado-Pan trinket and proper FFoJ usage I think this would honestly be feasable, as you usually want to wait out until the peak of the FFoJ proc to really get things going.

Also, does anyone else have trouble with Fallen Crusader? I swear it might just be me, but I have no problems getting any other buffs up on time, yet FC sometimes won't even proc by the time every other buff wears off.

You want to use an unreliable 20% buff over a reliable 15% buff?

It could be possible to make something happen with DW RC/CG cheesing it even further using a sha-touched weapon then switching to a 2h after applying the powered up diseases. But that's not really feasible as the chance for the necessary "super diseases" not to happen is by far higher than actually getting them. If you look for that lucky try to cheese some WoL meters okay, but otherwise I wouldn't advise to try that stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkiro8 View Post
    Hey guys, so recently I obtained the Heroic Thunderforged Spark of Zandalar (ilvl 541) and was wondering if it would be worth using over the Shado-pan trinket (522) or the normal Primordius trinket for festerblight. The other trinket I'm using is the heroic thunderforged feather. My guild won't be killing H Primordius for at least a month. so the spark would prob be the highest ilvl option for that shot. But is it worth using because it doesn't proc immediately with my feather? Thanks!
    My guess is for FB No. I am pretty sure normal primordius trinket > heroic TF spark mostly due to the time waiting for the spark to get its full proc and not fully aligning with your feather.

Brief Question, do you recommend macroing Dark Transformation to a rotational ability? I currently have a hotkey for it, but I was curious if it'd be worth tying to FeS or the like. I'm not mainspec unholy, but I'm testing the waters as it were with Frost/Unholy dual spec.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

It is on the gcd, so macroing it won't work like you intend.

As for a different topic, there is a 5% strength nerf to unholy might posted in the patch notes along with the weapon damage change. I think this is probably more significant of a change to festerblight compared to the weapon damage changes however it still isn't so massive that we should all lose our minds. It does hurt our diseases directly though which is probably a better solution. I feel like these changes all together act as a slight nerf to festerblight and a slight buff to normal unholy.

Magdalena posted updated simcraft results on the official forums. Long story short, festerblight is dead and normal unholy performance nerfed by only 1%. Not catastrophic.

Long story long:
    Here is my post on festerblight changes if you want an in-depth look.
    http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t131138-...ght_in_5_3/5_4

Deleted
    Well, a nerf is a nerf... Might not be catastrophic for traditional unholy but I enjoyed my time at the top of the dps meters none the less. Will this change anything in terms of which trinkets to go for as unholy? I'm planning on still going for the "outbreak on last second of feather" tactic and just playing traditional unholy until the next proc. Will also be going back to blood tap... Wondering if spark might be worth using over the shado pan trinket now (primordius' just won't drop).

Bit disappointed none the less.

So since this is a sticky, can I get some direct; no bullshit, no bias information on the standings of Unholy VS. 2H frost?

I've been 2H frost since the expansion started because to be plain, I love it. I've got the rotation down to pure muscle-memory and can perform it on the fly as well as anyone can really hope to within reason. I keep getting people to tell me to switch to Unholy. So I do for a Day's LFD/LFR/World Bosses.

I understand Unholy's rotation, I was pooling RP to DT my ghoul, I was rolling diseases with FeS, even opening with as best of a Festerblight as I could without a Ji-Kun Feather, and working in Scourge Strikes with extra Death Runes. I was using Runic Corruption off Vmagik's posts for a simpler synch of rune pairs.

By and large, I could still do good damage, but I was in some cases of pure patchwerk setups, doing overall less DPS. And I mean noticably less, I think I ended up sub-20k to my usual parses on Sha of Anger/Galleon with no AOE padding from either Frost or Unholy, one instance was 40k under where I usually sit (Roughly 135-160k Depending on the fight, down to 110k with no movement up or down).

I get that I'm not as practiced at unholy as I am at frost, and I was prepared for some DPS loss, but if Unholy and even minor Festerblight playstyle is the HUGE WORLD OF LOG DOMINATING BEST WAY TO PLAY POSSIBLE... why is my damage THAT much lower with only minor errors, such as occasional DT lag, and some slight hesitation due to new rotations.

Am I way worse at unholy then I realize, or are people really over-blowing how much ZOMG BETTER it is then 2h frost?

(No, I don't have Logs available, I don't have access to my guilds WOL account)
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Well, there are a TON of factors that add up to your total damage.
    Skill with the playstyle, understanding of every aspect of the playstyle, gear and stat values, specific trinkets, amount of time spend attacking, targets, ect ect. We have a "fix my dps" thread @ http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-My-DK-DPS-MoP, if that's what you are looking for.

However, my best guess without seeing any other information is that you don't have feather.
    Feather is important. Normal unholy gets about 10-20k dps from using feather over the NEXT BEST trinket, closer to 30k over not using any trinket, and festerblight gets even more. That's why LFR feather beats every other heroic TF trinket for unholy. It's just too good. All of the class comparisons around on simc's and other ranking sites, and in most people's heads, have feather. Without a feather, unholy and frost are pretty balanced, and you'll do better with whatever you know better. Unholy only starts to leap ahead with that feather. For the record, feather is awesome for frost as well, just not as good as it is for unholy.

Thank you, I mostly wanted an objective POV, I'm no slouch with gameplay, I expected to lose like 4-8k~ DPS while adjusting to unholy, but I didn't realize that the Feather was really THAT big a deal for Unholy.

Maybe I'll try it again once I get one. I really just want to be good at ALL aspects of playing a DK, I'm trying to learn Blood Tap, and I've already spent an expansion as a tank, another as a DPS, and this one again as DPS. I feel sort of like I'm... underplaying, if I don't understand every spec I have in a class to the extent I can play it well.

Also the constant 'GO UNHOLY' peer pressure is starting to make me want to punch people. No offense intended to you guys, sometimes it feels like there being real options for DPS has actually done away with any options, it's whatever's 'best' on WOL that week.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Just don't listen to peer pressure man. It's a game!
    Hell, I'm still DW frost. Wanting to understand more about your class is cooling, swapping specs because other people tell you too isn't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Keeping fingers crossed!

My pants are tightening as we speak!

Deleted
    Hope? With the guy basically asking for dots to be updated dynamically right after?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djouga View Post
    Hope? With the guy basically asking for dots to be updated dynamically right after?
    The guy's basically complaining about a festerblight nerf then asking for diseases to update dynamically? /cry

He is, yes, but that's just that player. If you read through GC's previous tweets, he said the dev goal for Festerblight is for it to be "high risk, moderate reward". In other words, they think it's OK for FB to be a DPS gain, but it shouldn't be such a large increase that it's mandatory for Unholy. Currently on the PTR it's not a DPS gain at all, which he thinks is probably an overnerf.

So my guess is that the next PTR build will see the strike buffs and unholy might nerfs partially rolled-back.