Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    I don't understand how this works really.

I mean, it says fuck all on how well you do if it counts the countries where people earn one cent a day.

If i earn 240,000 SEK a year, (a little more than 25000 euro), it puts me in the top 1%, and that just doesn't look right.

Like for example, a person with social WELLFARE in sweden is top 15%
    same in france, top 14% without working a single second. However, we have to take into account the overall price of life in those countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Depends entirely on where you live and how many dependents you have. A family of 5 living in North NJ, NYC, SW Conn. on 120k will be comfortable but certinly won't be living the high life.
    Is this a single person working household? The person I am quoting lives in country where the average yearly is 4800.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Is this a single person working household? The person I am quoting lives in country where the average yearly is 4800.
    Single or two working parents, either way.

I'm not sure who you quoted. I was just referring to our area, as I saw you lived in NJ as well. I think 120k is more than enough to get by comfortably in this area with say... 3 kids but I don't think people realize just how expensive certain parts of this country are (and not just in major cities). Just as an example I pay over 10k a year in real estate taxes for my home and it's not a huge home (little over 1900 sq ft) nor comes with acres of space either. It's insane!
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2013-04-23 at 06:47 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Living and working in Manhattan skews things for my numbers. We make more money, but the cost to live is much higher. It doesn't take things like that into account.
    This. For example, on paper, I own two condominiums which I will be free to sell when I'm done with my studies.
    In some regions, this wouldn't be so much, but considering the fact that one 80m² flat easily can cost 200k+ $ where I live, it quickly sums up to quite a bit of capital.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2013-04-23 at 07:01 PM.

Deleted
    Top 10 wealthiest in the world, and my god i'm an shit poor student.

This may provide you a more detail local to your area.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-map.html?_r=0

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Single or two working parents, either way.

I'm not sure who you quoted. I was just referring to our area, as I saw you lived in NJ as well. I think 120k is more than enough to get by comfortably in this area with say... 3 kids but I don't think people realize just how expensive certain parts of this country are (and not just in major cities). Just as an example I pay over 10k a year in real estate taxes for my home and it's not a huge home (little over 1900 sq ft) nor comes with acres of space either. It's insane!
    I have a friend who has a house in Bayonne, who pays 15k a year in taxes. NJ taxes are quite high. 120k is a decent wage.

120k in a country where people make 4800... is exponential.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    This. For example, on paper, I own two condominiums which I will be free to sell when I'm done with my studies.
    In some regions, this wouldn't be so much, but considering the fact that one 80m² flat easily can cost 200k+ $ where I live, it quickly sums up to quite a bit of capital.
    200k... that seems about the prices here for a 1-2 in an okay area. If you want to live in a better area though (at least in hudson county) it's going to cost you upwards of 400k, and you'd be more comfortable around 500-600k (hoboken) or 600-1.2 (downtown jc) New York you can get a decent 1 br for about 260-600

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 05:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSageCorban View Post

Wow my friend is in the bottom 8% O_O

Deleted
    By wealth, I am in the top 0.009% richest people in the world. That makes me the 429,780th richest person on earth.

Shiiiit. I had no idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    • You’re in the top 2.94% richest people in the world by income.
    • That makes you the 196,927,650th richest person on earth by income.
    • In 1 hour you make £7.81
    • No University experience, only college (graphics/web development) but neither which I use (graphics, partly) at work.

Work at a Social Network site (which at the moment has networth of $1,000,000). No premium model at this moment (all free). On that bombshell, it's time for bed and hopefully no longer ill tomorrow...
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-04-23 at 09:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so rich the site breaks after I enter my info... Or it doesn't work on iOS...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Dosen't work correctly for a start. if i put 33k it says im 2.6% if i put 37 it says 1.89% ... something very wrong with that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    200k... that seems about the prices here for a 1-2 in an okay area. If you want to live in a better area though (at least in hudson county) it's going to cost you upwards of 400k, and you'd be more comfortable around 500-600k (hoboken) or 600-1.2 (downtown jc) New York you can get a decent 1 br for about 260-600
    Yeah, it depends a lot on if you want to live in a city, a small village etc.
    The price I mentioned applies to the village where I live...in a bigger, more central located town the prices are also a lot higher.

I mean...lol, if you want to live near my Uni, you have to pay about 650$ per month for ~20 m². Quite bad, especially for students etc.

Well, according to that site, the richest person on the planet makes somewhere between $1,750,000,000 and $1,755,000,000 per year.

Talk about first world problems.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not so sure that this is even remotely accurate. i make a decent salary, but there is no way i would belive that i am of the top 2.87% of the world.

It gets you thinking about how lucky you really are, i really feel thankful after seeing this.

you are in the 0.25% richest people in the world income
    that makes you the 16,529,388th richest person on earth by income.

wish it was in USA

10+ Year Old Account

I like this one better. Look at all the rich fuckers in Stamford, CT area

Deleted

For the US. For the rest of the world... not so much... Putting my salary in dollars in there I get:

United States
    A household income of (secret) places you in the
    Bottom 2%
    of people who live there.

for example.

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 02:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lzsg View Post
    Does it take taxes into account or are the exchange rates just really messed up? It bumps me from 13% to 5% when I enter my income in USD instead of SEK.
    It already tells you, remove taxes before you put the number. You only put there what you get in hand, after taxes and all, not what you get on paper.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're in the top 0.27% richest people in the world by income.

That makes you the 17,842,063rd richest person on earth by income.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    it's BS, I put in my total debt which is impossibly high which I can never pay back, with my current value of my meager possessions and it said I was in the top 7% of the richest people in the world. Since I ow close to $100k in student loans and only have about $300 in possessions that means I have a wealth of $-999,699.99 and yet I am richer than someone with no debt?

I find that website very interesting...

One thing that I did not particularly like in the "comparison" though was comparing third world wages to first world prices. There was one part talking about buying a can of soda and how it would take the average laborer in Indonesia 2 hours to buy a can of soda. I would say that is definitely not the case if they are buying a can of soda in Indonesia -- but if they were buying a Coca Cola from the US, perhaps it is.

I was in western China (Qinghai) in 2009 for research and there were families in tiny villages with annual incomes of something like ¥12,000, which was roughly $1,700 USD. That sounds like absolutely nothing, but in those small towns things were very low priced -- you could eat lunch in a restaurant in a nearby town for like ¥3 - ¥5. Most of those families raised their own crops and produced much of their own food.

Even in Xining, which is the capital of Qinghai province, we went to a restaurant for dinner and fed 12 people a huge meal for under ¥200. That was approximately $25 - $30 USD. To be honest, I somewhat felt bad for the families with such low incomes. The villages had little technology, some of the houses were basically large shacks, etc., but to be completely honest these people were quite happy with their lives. I'm sure the same cannot be said for the even poorer countries and regions though -- especially those struggling to get by.

Now, that all having been said... It is really true that you can make a HUGE difference with a fairly small donation. A couple hundred bucks can be a life changing donation for people in the poorest of countries.