Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I probably wouldn't want to go, perhaps if I was older, maybe.

But I see nothing wrong with it, it's for a good cause (science). If somebody is willing to sacrifice his/her life to advance humanity, +respect.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by kakihara View Post
    Everything abou the mission will be broadcasted live via tv. It is like big brother. I just think they try to do that before we actually have the tech and knowledge to do it right. I doubt they will be able to set up a steady base that will last years until new supplies arrive. what i find sick about it is that i think the risk is so extremly high that it will likely be a 100% suicide mission.
    Also they will send inexpierienced people which just adds to that.
    I dont think there is something special on Mars that we need to rush for. Better to make it safe.
    If people aren't willing to sacrifice their lives to advance the species, then we, as a species, are not worthy of existence. You seem to not understand the value and meaning of sacrifice.

Giving oneself up for the many is one of the greatest things a person can do. It's difficult, painful and, generally, selfless. You calling it suicide is an insult to everyone who has ever sacrificed their lives in pursuit of a noble goal.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/22/wo...ket/?hpt=hp_t3

Honestly, i find it sick and disgusting. What is so important to go to Mars asap?
    Wait until you can send a spaceship there in day and not months. Who ever goes there will likely die during the flight, the landing or shortly after because some system probably fails.
    I think this is a suicide mission and nothing else.
    Why is it disgusting? The people are going are volunteers and the people funding this are private corporations. If they want to go, its their prerogative.

FOR SCIENCE.

Oh and if we find Prothean ruins . . . just be sure to listen to Shepard when the Commander starts yapping about Reapers and the end of the galaxy. . .
    Putin khuliyo

I myself thought the same as you, OP. This is a premature attempt sure to end in disaster. Then I got to reading their plan, and thinking about all the risks humanity has of being wiped away in extinction events here on Earth. I also considered that the people involved are volunteering. They know they're going to die eventually, just like we know we're going to die eventually; they may die sooner, but they'll go on living in history books as the first Martian explorers.

Sure, the chances of success may not be as high as they might be in the future, but look at the moon landing. We did that in 1969! I think a successful manned Mars mission isn't out of our reach in 2022. Sure, the Martian gravity prevents their return, but the company has a plan. They're not going to let them starve. There's a plan to grow their own food, and supplies to keep them going until they're sustainably able to provide for themselves (though, we'll still be sending them new things to grow, more rations, and more people every so often).
    Stabby stab stab.
    Avatar courtesy of Kelly Aarons of woweh.com

Deleted
    I think it's amazing. It's not a death trip, in the worst case scenario, parring some major accident, they just live out the rest of their lives on Mars in a small and probably growing community, building things and doing research.

I think it will happen one day and I would be open in going but not in the start-up phase. If something goes wrong in setting it up your screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I think it's amazing. It's not a death trip, in the worst case scenario, parring some major accident, they just live out the rest of their lives on Mars in a small and probably growing community, building things and doing research.
    That's the best case scenario, I would think. That's what they're going there to do
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I'd probably only do this if i was already terminal.

seems like a great opportunity for a one of a kind experience but it will probably be a nightmare.

can't shower
    can't go out side
    never see a tree again
    never feel the wind in your face again

among countless other things. too much sacrifice.

And keep in mind they already have some trouble here and now getting supplies to the iss and waste from it. now imagine supplies are 7 months away...

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    If people want to do it, let them do it. I wouldn't throw my life away for that, but apparently there are thousands/millions who would.

Stephen Hawking has theorized that if we don't get off Earth in the next thousand years, we're fucked. He could be wrong, but we're still going to get off this planet someday. Might as well start the first steps I guess.
    I wouldnt put too much weight on that. He also believes aliens are all malevolent and will enslave the human race like we did with Africa. I think we can figure our life out before then. He also thinks they'd want our wood and minerals.
    Last edited by Ayla; 2013-04-23 at 07:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll just duplicate what I'd said in the previous thread about this:

Even as an ardent supporter of space exploration and human spaceflight, I think that the idea of planetary colonization at this time is not only quite premature, but also that the Mars One model is, frankly, terrible. Just for starters, the $6bn cost estimate to establish the first phase is banking on a number of undue assumptions, including hardware (Falcon Heavy, Red Dragon variants, etc.) that hasn't even been built and is years from being demoed, let alone certified. That's just the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

Contrary to what's been expressed by some other posters, I'm not optimistic about this system generating interest in space or spaceflight. I think a greater potential exists for it to damage the public's perception, particularly in the event of mission failures and loss of life. Despite the organizers' repeated assertions that their mission is different from previous or current human endeavors in space, trying to market it as a sustainable long-term reality show is doomed to failure, financial and otherwise. We've seen how quickly public apathy grew for the Apollo program, Skylab, Mir, the Shuttles, the ISS -- and those are all missions in which the astronauts' safe return to Earth was paramount. Television audiences are just as fickle even when morbid curiosity is factored in.

I'd need to see a lot more substance, from development to support and logistics, contingency planning and beyond, in order to see Mars One as remotely viable (regardless of whether or not I think it's a good approach, which I probably never will). As it stands, they seem much more interested in marketing, and that leaves me with the impression that it's a disaster in the making. (Now they've tacked on a $38 application fee also? That's yet another red flag to me.)

I see no mention of many fundamental issues. So many steps in the proposed timeline are glossed over. The plan relies on multiple deliveries and a bunch of undiscussed autonomous processes in advance of the first astronauts arriving. You can't reasonably expect multiple interdependent Mars EDLs (entry/descent/landing) to go off without a hitch at this point, yet they're planning on using vehicles that haven't even been built yet. Hell, they envision their first cargo delivery in 2016. How?!

How are they selecting a landing site? How much payload must be delivered? How many launches will be required? What are the contingencies in the event of failures? Why are they in such a rush to use this launch window rather than the following?

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    If people want to do it, let them do it. I wouldn't throw my life away for that, but apparently there are thousands/millions who would.

Stephen Hawking has theorized that if we don't get off Earth in the next thousand years, we're fucked. He could be wrong, but we're still going to get off this planet someday. Might as well start the first steps I guess.
    Anyway you look at it we will never escape our solar system. Unless we figure out how to bend space to our will...

Are you taking volunteers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't read all 3 pages, but who says it's forever? Say they get to Mars right on schedule in 2023. Who'se to say by 2050 inter solar system space travel is much more commonplace, there by allowing these people to easily be "picked up".

Unless they don't expect these people to live for more than a few years.

All that being said, it's too early to try any space colonization and hell no I wouldn't do it.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Anyway you look at it we will never escape our solar system. Unless we figure out how to bend space to our will...
    If we can get to mars in 30 days, leaving the solar system in the equivelant of a bus/plane would only be 200 or so years away.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/22/wo...ket/?hpt=hp_t3

Honestly, i find it sick and disgusting. What is so important to go to Mars asap?
    Wait until you can send a spaceship there in day and not months. Who ever goes there will likely die during the flight, the landing or shortly after because some system probably fails.
    I think this is a suicide mission and nothing else.
    So because you don't want to leave the safety of the Earth, nobody else should?
    Not sure how this is sick and disgusting, let alone different from the suicide mission of being born on Earth. Yes, they have more hurdles and barriers to overcome, but why not try and what do you care if they do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Disgusting? Isn't it voluntary?
    Yes, but I think a better word is "morbid". I don't think saying "Oh yeah, you're gonna die over there" is the best way to lure potential participants.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dezerte View Post
    i probably wouldn't want to go, perhaps if i was older, maybe.

But i see nothing wrong with it, it's for a good cause (science). If somebody is willing to sacrifice his/her life to advance humanity, +respect.
    for science!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    And why not?

What if we find a way to make a working Alcubierre drive? What if we find a way to rip wormholes into the fabric of spacetime?

What if we find a giant space-whale and build our nation on its back?

Besides, we've already left the solar system. Isn't it Voyager I that's out beyond the heliopause (or if not past it, damn close to it)?
    Putin khuliyo

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    All the people posting "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" memes can put their travel where their meme is!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Isn't it Voyager I that's out beyond the heliopause (or if not past it, damn close to it)?
    Voyager 1 and 2 are still in the heliosheath according to the VIM project scientists. But damn they've gone a long way (123 AU and 101 AU, respectively).