Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I'd go as long as i have access to the internet in mars so i can read manga.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not try a colony on the moon for testing this? While the gravity is my guess why a moon colony could suffer but at least it might not be such an impossible task to get people off the moon and back to earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds cool, but I'm way too young to sign up. Too much to live for.

It's not something I'd ever be interested in and I wouldn't even consider it for the risks however I can understand why others would be hyped and be more than happy to be the first to try and be out there, feel like they did something with meaning.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    nvm they want to charge me for volunteering my life, screw that, ive never seen a lab rat getting charged for being experimented on if anything they reward them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaturtle View Post
    Why not try a colony on the moon for testing this? While the gravity is my guess why a moon colony could suffer but at least it might not be such an impossible task to get people off the moon and back to earth.
    Yes, as long as I get to arrive and not be destroyed while on route to it. Main reason? Fame and of course curiosity (both as equal, maybe more on the side of curiosity).

See Mars One, they are preparing such nature and it could be YOUR turn. More @ http://applicants.mars-one.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    nvm they want to charge me for volunteering my life, screw that, ive never seen a lab rat getting charged for being experimented on if anything they reward them.
    Signing up is charged. Once you actually get selected they will take full care of you. It's not like you are going to have to pay for your meals while flying there..

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    It's a sign up fee that covers the costs of the stuff. Someone isn't going to magically be like "YO GUYS, Here's $6 billion, have fun on Mars lolololol"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Anyway you look at it we will never escape our solar system. Unless we figure out how to bend space to our will...
    Solar Sale, use of Nuclear are one of few ways to make it of this planet at this moment, maybe even various other way that I may not know about or that I have not listed.

Of course both have downsides.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 10:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Painstorm View Post
    I can't see how we can last more than maybe 200 years more on this planet alone.
    Technology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaturtle View Post
    They really want to be the first venture to set foot on Mars, and the moon doesn't provide appropriate raw materials or protection from radiation. Not that they've developed their own radiation mitigation strategies for Mars yet either...

If they were that interested in advance testing though, they could just do so here on Earth. But that costs money that they're not interested in spending or sacrificing, they want the funding to go directly into putting stuff on Mars.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 04:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by H3llion View Post
    See Mars One, they are preparing such nature and it could be YOUR turn. More @ http://applicants.mars-one.com/
    You realize that's what this thread's about, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Besides, we've already left the solar system. Isn't it Voyager I that's out beyond the heliopause
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Voyager 1 and 2 are still in the heliosheath according to the VIM project scientists. But damn they've gone a long way (123 AU and 101 AU, respectively).
    Yes and no to both of you. Voyager 1 has exited heliosheath in august-october 2012 by breaking heliopause. Heliopause, however, turned out to be not exactly what had been predicted, as the magnetic field of the sun still reaches further out. So voyager 1 broke heliopause, but it turned out to not be the edge of the solar system. it's currently in a new zone dubbed "magnetic highway" that is still under discussion, but is mostly considered to be a part of the solar system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    They really want to be the first venture to set foot on Mars, and the moon doesn't provide appropriate raw materials or protection from radiation. Not that they've developed their own radiation mitigation strategies for Mars yet either...

If they were that interested in advance testing though, they could just do so here on Earth. But that costs money that they're not interested in spending or sacrificing, they want the funding to go directly into putting stuff on Mars.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 04:12 PM ----------

You realize that's what this thread's about, right?
    I have after I have posted, iv only read few posts until I have realised. I am quite ill, although no excuse but still, not really a biggie ey?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    Yes and no to both of you. Voyager 1 has exited heliosheath in august-october 2012 by breaking heliopause. Heliopause, however, turned out to be not exactly what had been predicted, as the magnetic field of the sun still reaches further out. So voyager 1 broke heliopause, but it turned out to not be the edge of the solar system.
    What I described came right off the mission page so, if the "magnetic highway" isn't considered part of the heliosheath, they need to update their site to reflect such. But I don't see anything saying that description is inaccurate.

Deleted
    Anyone 18 or older may apply via video but there is an application fee -- $38 for U.S. applicants. The money will fund the mission.
    Stinks of a scam. A well thought out and publicized scam, but a scam none the less.

There is no way that the technology needed to put a man on mars in a habitat that could support life, even on a one way trip.
    on the site it states that the first mission would cost 6 Billion to set up and run.

You would need close to 158 Million people to sign up at $38 each. (157,894,736 to be exact). Even then he is not saying where the 6 Billion goes, as he is afraid of competition, This to me sounds like he is more afraid of people going through the numbers, seeing its not viable and realizing its its a scam.

Such small minded people.... Sick and disgusting?

This is a chance at immortality. Many of these peoples names will be remembered as pioneers for centuries after they die. The brave men and women of this mission are pushing humanity forward without fear or hesitation. It is things like this that should be celebrated much like in the past how the 1st people to venture into space or the 1st people to explore the depths of the oceans them 1st people exploring the highest peaks such as Everest. These people who pioneer and have the vision to risk it all for something truly great should be held up in the highest admiration as deserving of our love unlike the swathes of generic media personality's who wouldn't have the courage to confront anything on this magnitude.

This is not some sick big brother experiment. This is the complete documentation of humanity's greatest adventure into the unknown. No other thing of such importance has been documented and recorded as thoroughly as this monumental journey will be.

This is one way for one and only one reason. The people sending them have not planned another mission. That does not eliminate the many other Mars missions in the works. China has plans on going to Mars. Russia announced a 50 billion USD budget for space exploration including Mars colonization mission. There is another independent mission to send 2 people to fly past mars in the next 5-8 years. USA wont sit back and watch and let other country's get the glory when things pick up NASA will once again make plans. This is only one way for the foreseeable future.

If only more people had the vision and courage to take up this challenge and maybe we wouldn't as a species be so cowardly over the advancement and betterment of humanity.

I doubt i would be selected but i might make an application if nothing more to support the missions funding. This is the greatest thing that will happen in my lifetime.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 10:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Stinks of a scam. A well thought out and publicized scam, but a scam none the less.

There is no way that the technology needed to put a man on mars in a habitat that could support life, even on a one way trip.
    on the site it states that the first mission would cost 6 Billion to set up and run.

You would need close to 158 Million people to sign up at $38 each. (157,894,736 to be exact). Even then he is not saying where the 6 Billion goes, as he is afraid of competition, This to me sounds like he is more afraid of people going through the numbers, seeing its not viable and realizing its its a scam.
    The cost to apply is to scare off people with no interest. The money will go towards the mission. TV revenue will go towards the mission. They already have backing from Spacex which is huge and highly successful. The majority of the money comes from investors and sponsors. The potential to have put money in and have people on mars gathering data for your research is very valubale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

Exactly, after getting tons of people to pay the application fee for 9 years they can just say we didn't make enough money to get the project going, Good bye.

I think its an excellent start. It will take 100's of years to terrafarm mars but when it is all said and done at the end of the day we will have 2 places to call home vs one. Sooner or later, we will run out of resources. This is the first step to colonizing the universe.

Are they accepting nominations for people on this trip? I've got a list of names scrawled on my wall who would all love to go there.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frah View Post
    This is the complete documentation of humanity's greatest adventure into the unknown. No other thing of such importance has been documented and recorded as thoroughly as this monumental journey will be.
    Isn't that laying it on a little thick? I mean, if they're actually capable of demonstrating what they claim, it'd certainly be interesting. They are however making a number of really brazen claims, so a bit of skepticism in response is not only natural, it's mandatory.

Russia announced a 50 billion USD budget for space exploration including Mars colonization mission.
    From 2013 to 2020 -- which comes out to $7.32bn a year, still less than half of NASA's budget even adjusted for cuts and sequestration effects. Roscosmos has big thoughts for the future about a human presence on Mars, but the colonization stage is three decades beyond anything they're looking into from this period of funding.

There is another independent mission to send 2 people to fly past mars in the next 5-8 years.
    Which, like Mars One, has the proverbial snowball's chance of getting off the ground.

USA wont sit back and watch and let other country's get the glory when things pick up NASA will once again make plans.
    NASA has drafted and examined all sorts of manned Mars proposals over the years, but the White House and Congress dictate what ultimately those plans will be in the form of policy.

If only more people had the vision and courage to take up this challenge and maybe we wouldn't as a species be so cowardly over the advancement and betterment of humanity.
    It's not a matter of courage or cowardice, it's an issue of spending priorities. Ours needless to say trend toward misguided at present.

I doubt i would be selected but i might make an application if nothing more to support the missions funding. This is the greatest thing that will happen in my lifetime.
    I'd need a lot of evidence demonstrating their intentions and capabilities before I'd consider lavishing them with praise.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2013-04-23 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo

Ever since I first heard of it, back in October (Dutch talkshow had the company over for a talk, if you can understand Dutch: http://tinyurl.com/d877bej ) I was fascinated and extremely tempted to sign up as soon as it was available. I am doubting now, not because I wouldn't want it, but because I don't think my family would ever forgive me, especially my mother.

Also, someone in this thread said that the astronauts could "cover up" or "disable" the camera's, they won't for the sole reason that after the base has been built by the initial team, two more people will be send every several years. If you sabotage the only income of the mission you will also sabotage the next flights and thus the rest of the mission. Yes, the base will be self-sustaining, but what then? You won't get new people to talk to, you won't get new equipment or new tests and research to do. If you sabotage the mission you will literaly doom yourself and your fellow travelers to a life in a small, unexpanded mars base, boring yourself to death.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    Psshhh. Like I would actually bother reading a thread.