Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

A class you just can't play right?

Does anyone else have the problem where there's just one class or spec that you cannot play well? I've always considered myself a decent player, but every expansion there is one class I just can't play right. I can play the other classes and do just fine too. Part of the problem probably is that I play a whole bunch of classes. I'm the person in the guild who always fills in for whatever we're missing.
    Still it baffles me that there's always just one class I can't get used to.

This expansion it's warlock. Even though they're supposed to be awesome dps and face roll, I cannot for the life of me put out good numbers. It's not for lack of effort either. I read the guides and look at my logs and compare them and all. I just cannot play my lock.

In Cata, I sucked as a warrior. My dps was complete shit. My gear was pretty good, but I just couldn't achieve the dps numbers I should have been able too.

Wrath, my paladin sucked. I sucked at tanking with it for whatever reason. I had very good ret gear thanks to alt runs and was always dead last dps. Even healing I sucked. I was basically dead weight in raids whenever I brought my paladin.

TBC was my hunter. One button macro and I was supposed to own. I think this one was just because I was bored and never really felt like putting any effort into it.

Quote Originally Posted by link4117 View Post
    Does anyone else have the problem where there's just one class or spec that you cannot play well? I've always considered myself a decent player, but every expansion there is one class I just can't play right. I can play the other classes and do just fine too. Part of the problem probably is that I play a whole bunch of classes. I'm the person in the guild who always fills in for whatever we're missing.
    Still it baffles me that there's always just one class I can't get used to.

This expansion it's warlock. Even though they're supposed to be awesome dps and face roll, I cannot for the life of me put out good numbers. It's not for lack of effort either. I read the guides and look at my logs and compare them and all. I just cannot play my lock.

In Cata, I sucked as a warrior. My dps was complete shit. My gear was pretty good, but I just couldn't achieve the dps numbers I should have been able too.

Wrath, my paladin sucked. I sucked at tanking with it for whatever reason. I had very good ret gear thanks to alt runs and was always dead last dps. Even healing I sucked. I was basically dead weight in raids whenever I brought my paladin.

TBC was my hunter. One button macro and I was supposed to own. I think this one was just because I was bored and never really felt like putting any effort into it.
    Umm...We are at a point in the game where all classes are at their best places than they have ever been. Every class has those few abilities that fill into their rotation and its all about prioritizing them. I found Balance Druids to be overly clunky during Cataclysm with their new design but they seem a lot better this expansion. Well I can't definitely comment on that since I've not played them, but at least from the changes I've read.

I often have a hard time with DoT classes. Could never get into them for some reason. My first DoT class was a Warlock, I couldn't get into it beyond level 30. I proceeded to level a Priest as a Healer years down the road, and started collecting gear for my Shadow Spec last expansion during Firelands. I just couldn't get into Shadow as well. My DPS was simply horrible and I can swear I was doing everything right.

Its funny, cause my current main is my Death Knight which is more of a hybrid class.

All in all it would have to be my Shadow Priest, cause that was the only class I got to end level and found it to be really underwhelming. This was a time when Shadow was considered pretty OP too. So I was honestly surprised and couldn't put a finger on what I was doing wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything other than a fire mage.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Frost DK's are the only thing I've ever had problems playing as of late, and it's been that way since at least Cata.

Stood in the Fire themightysven's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I concur on Shadow Priest, particularly because I was just trying shadow. I leveled to 85 as Disc/Holy while mostly questing, shadow though just feels wrong.
    Although, pretty much every class has a spec which is just echh
    Unholy, Balance, Marks, Arcane, (only played brewmaster monk, and it's fun), Paladins, Shadow, Combat, Enhance, Demonology, Fury
    Ewok Sith Lords are all about Agility

Quote Originally Posted by themightysven View Post
    I concur on Shadow Priest, particularly because I was just trying shadow. I leveled to 85 as Disc/Holy while mostly questing, shadow though just feels wrong.
    Although, pretty much every class has a spec which is just echh
    Unholy, Balance, Marks, Arcane, (only played brewmaster monk, and it's fun), Paladins, Shadow, Combat, Enhance, Demonology, Fury
    I've played most of the specs you mentioned, and to be honest most of them were either unbearable and easy - Combat and really clunky - Balance and Marks and fun and high damage - Unholy and Arcane.

I've not played a Shammy and a Warlock at end game so can't really comment. But Shadow really seems wrong. They are either too OP or way to underwhelming and complicated. But I often think, its the nature of the DoT class.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For me, never been keen on Fury Warrior (Always played Arms, not a fan). Also not than keen on my Priest that much. Shadow seems somewhat boring, and I personally feel my healing is much more fun and better as Holy over Disc. Of course that may just be because I don't like Atonement much, but Holy also feels better for AoE healing. Shame I mainly play that Priest in PVP and Holy doesn't seem to do well when focused.

Only other thing I can think of it Affliction and Demonology Locks. Leveled to 90 just as Destro and still love it. Tried Affliction and it just felt weird to me, so went back to just playing Destro. Feels like a Fire Mage, but to me seems better and more reliable.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've tried every spec in game except the 3 monk and there's only one that comes to mind. Back in the Ulduar days when I raided with my elem shaman I gathered a decent enha gear but no matter how good my gear was I was simply unable to perform at an acceptable level. By that I mean I couldn't even beat the tanks in half heroic gear...
    I had no issues picking up new styles, I leveled my priest as a healer and respecced to shadow at 85 and as my first dotter class ever I did decent DPS compared to my gear within days.

Other that I was never able to heal more than 5 people (practically anything other than a 5man dungeon) but that has nothing to do with classes, I just suck as a healer
    Last edited by Raur0s; 2013-04-24 at 02:20 AM.
    Talking to Majordomo before we are all ready will give you a quest: [60][R]Looking for guild!

Deleted
    Every caster class (in PvP), i feel really weird when playing it, like if i absolutely wasn't made for it.

Oh boy do I hate ret.

I'm competent at about 50% of specs I suppose. But the ones with short-term buffs that you have to overtly keep up, I dislike. And I REALLY dislike Inquisition. It's a "buff" whose only purpose is to waste a GCD.

It just feels clunky like carrying around a bag of slippery odd-shaped rocks from below.

Shadow Priest for me. I just can't get it down.

Feral. I just can't get it together.

I don't understand how people can say shadow priest. The 90% rotation is this:

-2 dots up
    -mind blast on CD
    -DP when 3 orbs
    -MF filler

If you do that, you will be doing at least 90% of your potential dps. Absolutely no challenge whatsoever. Easiest PvE caster by miles this expansion.

my mother can't play her mage right at all... she is a year into first starting already... but she can't seem to get her deeps up for PvE and can't really do much in pvp... she still doesn't get the game much, I think her brain is fried

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Feral. I just can't get it together.

I don't understand how people can say shadow priest. The 90% rotation is this:

-2 dots up
    -mind blast on CD
    -DP when 3 orbs
    -MF filler

If you do that, you will be doing at least 90% of your potential dps. Absolutely no challenge whatsoever. Easiest PvE caster by miles this expansion.
    Then I guess I can only do about 30k DPS on my priest because I can never get her above 25k-27k, even with the 15% buff from heroics.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can functionally play just about anything, but being "Raid Worthy" anything aside from healers (any) and a Lock I'm horrible and subpar unless I over gear. I'm just not good with dps ;(

10+ Year Old Account
    Rogue. I simply cannot level them, it bores me so much. I don't know what they are like at max level-ish, because I can never get one that far.
    Formerly The Dwarf Lover (TDL)

Warrior always feels the most awkward to me. Mine is only mid 40's, so I'm sure the synergy just isn't there, but it's not really enjoyable at all. It really does feel like a class that just needs a redesign.

Pally and shaman are 2 classes that I used to enjoy, but not since the changes to them (pally stopped being fun in Cata, in both holy or prot. Shaman totem changes are just awful, so he's shelved)

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a mental block since I hate the mechanics so much, but rogues and feral druids just don't do it for me. In fact, I dislike melee in general, but I will play them if I'm not having to stare at timer mods the whole time to make sure I'm pulling off my rotations properly.

I know my signature is way out-of-date, but I just took a look at it and most of my toons are spec'd away from melee dps.

I do great with Casters but when it comes to Melee I just blow it... the weird thing is that my first and favorite class is Rogue...
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't want me to play most melee classes. I seem to be able to manage paladin okay, but anything else? No. It is for the best of the group that I am on a ranged or healer. I promise.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)