Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Battle Mages is an awful class idea

There is no way a battle Mage class would ever be put into the game, so why do so many people suggest it?

Enhance Shaman, Ret Paladins, and Death Knights already do what a battle Mage class would do anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    There is no way a battle Mage class would ever be put into the game, so why do so many people suggest it?

Enhance Shaman, Ret Paladins, and Death Knights already do what a battle Mage class would do anyway.
    Indeed. Its been done to death.
    I think people are hung up on the idea of doing Bruce Lee kicks on a mage and stuff tis all.

Yes because they all kick and jump around with Arcane time warping abilities like a mage? oh wait...
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Deleted
    While it's not quite as simple as you put it, there are other classes which could have much more unique playstyles in comparison.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Yes because they all kick and jump around with Arcane time warping abilities like a mage? oh wait...
    How different can you really make it? spell animations? essentially still the same gameplay though.

and keep making new post about how awful a idea is is also awful when will people just let it rest?

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 12:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    How different can you really make it? spell animations? essentially still the same gameplay though.
    then every class is the same by your logic. so why bother to gear them?

This is the first time I've ever heard of someone mentioning battle mages.
    It sounds awful though.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

Deleted

How do you know that?

People just love the idea behind the class, just as they love demon hunters. There's something appealing about the battlemage/spellsword archetype, melding melee combat with magical strikes.

Thing is though, while I love battle mages myself, I don't see them becoming a class. You sort of already have a similar thing going on with enhancement shamans, the melee fighter with elemental magic, and dks/paladins, who are melee fighters that meld their physical prowess with holy/necromantic magics.

Could blizzard make a new class out of the battlemage with its own unique moveset? Yes, I think they could. But thematically I think it it's just too similar to things we already have, just as I don't think there should be a necromancer class even if blizz made a unique moveset for them. We already have an 'evil caster' class and dks cover much of the necromancer angle with some of their spells. And the same reason I'm not sure demon hunters playable would be a good idea considering we already have warlocks and all their iconic moves belong to other classes, at least for the most part. All they really have going for them atm are the glaives and blindfold thing. A battlemage would end up just being a enhancement shaman but with traditional arcane magic rather than communing with the elements.

15+ Year Old Account
    They should have turned Arcane into the Battle Mage tree a long time ago, would give Arcane a fun purpose. Striking enemies with arcane energies using melee attacks and the instant casts that arcane has. Combined with the idea that arcane mages have much better protection due to mana shield. etc, it can be done if they will it

10+ Year Old Account
    Please add any class which benefits from fast and dedicated button-clicking (I mean 10-hit combos from fighting games).
    And yes, add more flashes as hit-series go further

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BreathTaker View Post
    Please add any class which benefits from fast and dedicated button-clicking (I mean 10-hit combos from fighting games).
    You thinkin' of rogue?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    You thinkin' of rogue?
    Is rogue really capable of this? Maybe i should level mine past level 12 then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any class with another class's name in it (battle mage, blood mage, archdruid, etc.) is out IMO.

Well, except demon hunter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Any class with another class's name in it (battle mage, blood mage, archdruid, etc.) is out IMO.

Well, except demon hunter.
    This one is out too. People just want it cause they want to be Illidan and wear warglaives. Their iconic abilityes are property of the Demonology Warlock now. (Metamorphosis, Immolation Aura)

technically every melee class is a battle mage, because every melee class, even warriors have the tiniest bit of magic (avatar plus stat boosts from shouts are technically magic). so i dont see how it could hurt to put in a battle mage, but I like the idea of retooling arcane to be the "base" battle mage.

Demon Hunters could cover the Fel Battle Mage niche. also I am so sick of everyone saying Demon Hunters have to equal Illidan. That is not even true. My Death Knight is nothing like Arthas, and my demon hunter wouldn't be like illidan. Yes, do characters have fan boys, but not every shaman is thrall, not every druid is Malfurion not every Priest is Velen, not every mage is Jaina or Kael'thas. Its the weakest reason.

We have a "Fel Battle Mage" class, its called a Warlock.

I mean, Warlock was put into the game, tons of people could easily say it's just another Mage.

Blizz could easily make either a Battle Mage spec or a Battle Mage class that's unique from what's already in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BreathTaker View Post
    I doubt they'll do this, they have the global cooldown in place for a reason, and a class without one cause problems.

Battle mage is a dumb idea, I want a Spellbreaker instead.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015