Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Hey guys! Convince me to try this game

A little background on my 'gaming' life: I picked up WoW during the time when Black Temple had just come out, and I absolutely loved it. I loved raiding and I loved PvP. I bought the next two expansions, but the game got to the point where all you did was sit in some city and never did anything besides either raid or PvP - there was no need to go out into the world, and this the game (for me) became stale. Also, raiding and PvP didn't have the same 'calling' they once did, and before MoP came out I quit.

Other than WoW, I play Diablo 3. I've invested a lot of time into this game, and I'm happy with where my characters are currently at, but for me it's not a game where I can sit there for 4-5 hours at a time and enjoy. I still play it, just not as much.

I've also played DotA and HoN at a pretty high level, and recently got into League of Legends, but again, it's not something I enjoy playing for hours on end mainly because the community just sucks.

With that gaming background in mind, should I give GW2 a try?
    What do you do in the game that keeps you occupied and makes it fun for you?
    Basically, what do you do once your character hits level 80? And how long does that take, anyway?

Thanks!

Deleted
    If you need convincing I doubt you should.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Degausser View Post
    Convincing as in is it worth the money..
    There are >3<(three) types of players...

1)those that get it
    2)and those that do not.

My question still stands.

Basically, what do you do once your character hits level 80? And how long does that take, anyway?

You do everything that you did when you leveled. Leveling to 80 can take as little time as a couple of hours.

Endgame in GW2 boils down to the equivalent of transmog, aka, purely cosmetic stuff that, if it interests you, thats great.

It didn't for me, so I quit. There's no raiding. Dungeons are a mess. PvP is the only thing GW2 had at endgame that interested me, and my PC couldn't handle the massive WvWvW matches, so it was a pretty easy choice in terms of quitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Get real bro, if walkers bite Daryl, they become Daryl's.

Don't even bother looking at levels. Everything you found fun leveling up is still relevant at level 80 with downscaling, including rewards and such.

Endgame includes:

dynamic events
    downscaling
    dungeons
    fractals
    guildmissions
    livingstory
    jumping puzzles
    crafting
    WvW
    Spvp

and everything else in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Endgame content
    Guild Missions (large scale coordinated content)
    Fractals (a dungeon which scales to infinity in difficulty)
    43 dungeon paths
    Skin acquisition/Legendaries
    World vs. World
    Everything in the game since you are downscaled for content - 3000+ dynamic events
    New content released each month

2) Progression
    No ilvl requirement for any content, but is easier with better gear.
    You need Agony Resist gear for higher level fractals (ascended gear) to survive, but you are not locked out of it. Better players can run with less ascended gear.
    Fine < Masterwork < Rare < Exotic < Ascended < Legendary
    You will finish leveling with mostly Masterwork & Rare, map completion gets you a few Exotics. Exotic equipment is obtained through dungeon tokens, crafting/farming, karma (xp), etc.
    Ascended gear is obtained through Fractals, Dailies, Guild Missions, etc.
    Your Legendary is BIS forever.

To sum up, as far as endgame there is content that:
    1) Requires a guild
    2) Provides gear progression
    3) Escalates in difficulty
    4) Offer premium rewards
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    transmog
    Just as an off-topic curiosity, what does this word mean? I keep on seeing it mentioned everywhere. I assume it's a WoW term?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Just as an off-topic curiosity, what does this word mean? I keep on seeing it mentioned everywhere. I assume it's a WoW term?
    Transmogrification - its a term in wow that refers to making Gear A look like Gear B while retaining the useful stats of Gear A and also giving it Gear B's unique appearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Get real bro, if walkers bite Daryl, they become Daryl's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Endgame in GW2 boils down to the equivalent of transmog, aka, purely cosmetic stuff that, if it interests you, thats great.

For PvP yes. In fact, you can roll a new profession, go to the Heart of the Mists where you will be insta-boosted to 80, have free access to all the gear/skills/abilities/weapons/sigils/runes/etc (select/experiment what fits your build) and jump right into PvP. The only rewards you receive are cosmetic, it's a gamestyle preferred by those that want to beat others with skill rather than overpowering them with stats.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The WoW version of transmute stones.

Transmogrification - its a term in wow that refers to making Gear A look like Gear B while retaining the useful stats of Gear A and also giving it Gear B's unique appearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    The WoW version of transmute stones.
    Ah I see. I actually went to look that word up in a dictionary to see if it's a real word

the process of complete and usually extreme or grotesque change from one state or form to another.

15+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on the person. I played for a few weeks and stopped as i was extremely bored after reaching level 80. I know the reason is to play for fun, but i'm weird i like having the 'gear treadmil' it keeps me focusing for that upgrade. I know everyone in this forum will hate me for saying it but it's how I feel. I'll come back to GW2 with future expansions or big updates. But for now i'm sticking to other MMO's.

On the otherhand my friend still plays the game a lot, working on legendaries and i'm not sure what else. Like i said it really depends on the person.

Well it is designed so that you don't need to play every day. If you want to take an extended break, that's perfectly fine, you aren't going to lose any sort of power progression by doing so.

Is a guild absolutely needed? Is it the same as WoW where there are 'casual' guilds and 'hardcore' guilds?

How do you get gear for PvP, or is it the same as the gear you get from doing PvE content?

By the way, thank you for the information!

Edit: so does the gear progression in PvE move up progressively as you do 'harder' dungeons, until you've got all the legendary drops you want/need?

Guild isn't needed but it is encouraged for stuff like Guild Missions.

Two different types of pvp. Structured PVP (arena or battlegrounds) all gear is normalized (you get max level gear, weapons, trinkets, and everything else). You can only use that gear for that pvp mode. WvW pvp you use whatever you have been using for pve.

Is the structured PvP gear just handed to the player or do you have to do something for it? Is there a 'ladder' of sorts, ie rankings? Or is it all just for the fun of it?

Does the gear progression in PvE move up progressively as you do 'harder' dungeons, until you've got all the legendary drops you want/need?