Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Its wow without raids and factions! better graphics and no mounts!

Is the structured PvP gear just handed to the player or do you have to do something for it? Is there a 'ladder' of sorts, ie rankings? Or is it all just for the fun of it?
    Theres a vendor that gives you the gear, Spvp is just for the fun of it.

Does the gear progression in PvE move up progressively as you do 'harder' dungeons, until you've got all the legendary drops you want/need?
    The gear curve stops at ascended gear.

Hardmode dungeons give exotic gear and fractals gives ascended. The difference between exotic and ascended though is pretty small.

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 12:21 AM ----------

Its wow without raids
    There are raids, just not instanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, there are all kinds of guilds - from hardcore to casual, from leveling to WvW. No, you don't need one (except for certain Guild Missions content).

For structured PvP you are boosted to 80 and get free gear. This is similar to the 5v5 arenas and battlegrounds that you're used to.

For WvW you wear your PvE gear. This is a MASSIVE map with castles and keeps and siege weaponry, garrisons and supply camps. There's lots of strategy but can be run in a "zerg" or GvG or even small strike teams. Solo roaming can be tough. You are boosted to 80 but gear differentials are not balanced and a "true" 80 will have all abilties and elite skills unlocked. Most servers have a teamspeak you can join in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTENFOmXH8c

Yes there are rankings.
    https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-04-24 at 12:38 AM.
    Valar morghulis

You are automatically equipped with the gear when you enter the pvp lobby area. You can then switch your gear for different types of stats to suit your playstyle.

Gear progression is just like any other mmo until you get to level 80. It then plateaus where you begin searching for the best look that you want. Legendary weapons are no more powerful than the top tier weapons but they just have some special effects that go with them. They take quite a bit of time, depending on how much you play.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 06:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by msmone123 View Post
    Its wow without raids and factions!
    Not really. Quite a few different systems between the two games. You will give him a false impression by stating what you did.

Amongst other things people have brought up, I'd stress that Dynamic Events are miles ahead of quests.
    I've been playing GW2 since launch and recently tried Tera since it's f2p and I wanted to mix things up, and I have to say you really don't realize just how much better Dynamics Events +down scaling are until you've gone back to questing, it's frankly painful to go back.

Updates are also frequent (once a month) and generally interesting. For example: the past 3 months we've gotten an update each month as a part of the "Flame and Frost story narrative" and each update has brought some small changes to the world, bits of story and new characters. NPC's fleeing from the mountain in the north and congregating in Hoelbrak and the Black Citadel (2 major cities), homesteads being attacked, and this month we'll be getting a new dungeon where the story reaches it's climax.
    Here's the update/event overview page https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-ga...april-30-2013/ use the slider at the top to see past months.

World vs World vs World, for those more interested in PvP, is an endless 3 way battle across multiple maps with hundred of players fighting for objectives (castles, towers, supply camps). I personally only go in occasionally to have some fun, but I've met people who spend most of their time since release playing it.
    'Battle ground' like pvp has been getting the spotlight lately, and with some improvement could become a great source of competitive play. To be honest, since release it hasn't been doing great though. The combat itself is quiet good, but the meta is fairly stale and disliked, and systems surrounding PvP have been lackluster until recently thanks to some updates. We'll see where it goes, though I wouldn't bank on it if it's your only reason for joining.

There's no raids, and while there is a nice pool of dungeons, they don't have very strict gear requirements (outside of high level Fractals of the Mists, a dungeon with progressive difficulty levels), so if that kind of progression is your thing, like Solidito above my post, then you may not enjoy it. Goals are a bit more on the side of 'self defined' rather then having hard set requirements as goals, but running dungeons, doing guild missions with a nice guild, and even running THE(singular) daily can be fun (it's one daily, built into the UI, where you have to complete your choice of 5 out of 10 objectives that can be done across most of the game world).

There's no raids,
    There are raids omgwtfbbqfacedesk

It's just not instanced.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The gear curve stops at ascended gear.

Hardmode dungeons give exotic gear and fractals gives ascended. The difference between exotic and ascended though is pretty small.
    Okay. So to get the 'best' geared your character can be, you run hardmore dungeons and fractals until you get the drops you want/need?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Degausser View Post
    Okay. So to get the 'best' geared your character can be, you run hardmore dungeons and fractals until you get the drops you want/need?
    You can also craft exotic gear or purchase it with karma (like an experience currency). Sidegrades are more important than upgrades in most cases. The skillcap is pretty high for most hardmode dungeons, a few points on gear won't save you.
    Valar morghulis

But you can do all content in lvl 80 green gear too if you know what you are doing.

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 12:53 AM ----------

Gear is not the focus of the game though, in general the focus is the content. The gear is there for the gear addicts who were taught that gear grind = endgame instead of content = endgame.

Sounds good. With that being said, how does the gear transmog thing work? Do you 'hunt' for the items you want your gear to look like, or is there a different way?

Sounds good. With that being said, how does the gear transmog thing work? Do you 'hunt' for the items you want your gear to look like, or is there a different way?
    You hunt for your items either by dungeon, buying with gold, crafting, or whatever and use a transmutation stone to transmute the look

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Crystal

You can get these stones by map completions, dailys, or you can just buy them for money or in game gold - gems - stones

10+ Year Old Account
    All kinds of way to get gear. Heart vendors, dungeon tokens, Karma vendors, crafting, gem store skins, drops from world bosses, personal story, PvP rewards, etc.

You can mix and match any way you like (within the Light/Medium/Heavy) and 400 dyes to customize your look.

http://argos-soft.net/GW2ArmorGaller...race=2&color=0

There's also a option to view weapon models there, but it doesn't show the special effects and the pics aren't very good with the busy background. There are some very cool weps in the game.
    Valar morghulis

in short: there is no raid-like end game, pve content ends at dungeon level. Difficulty scaling is like normal-heroic dungeon. Dungeon branching sounds nice, but those are quite short, you will soon be fed up with it after dozens of grind run (for dungeon/transmog gear). Legendary grinding is brutal, it depends on how much effort you are willing to spend on the grind, not your skill.

The game's leveling system is the best by far in MMOs I played, howerver "end game pve" stops there. PvE = endless transmog grind.

pvp is quite good, you have large scale Realm vs Realm (but when I play it was hardly structured, it depends on realms I guess :\), arena style pvp (the same as GW1?). You are supposed to compete by your skill, gears play pure atheistic role. After all classes are designed for pvp, they are somewhat balanced.

It worth $60 I paid at release IMO (~200h with my Mesmer). I was back when ascended gear and loop dungeon implemented, but quit again shortly afterwards.

Thank you for all the information! I'm definitely going to pick it up, but I've always been a gear-oriented kind of player and thus I have questions regarding this.

This 'grind' for gear that you're speaking of - I understand you have to put a lot of hours into it, but it's nowhere near as bad as it is in Diablo 3, correct? Also, once you finish your dungeon and if you didn't get the drop you wanted, can you just go back into it or do you have to wait for it to reset? How many different dungeons can you do? And do they all drop different gear, or is it shared somewhat?

Thank you for all the information! I'm definitely going to pick it up, but I've always been a gear-oriented kind of player and thus I have questions regarding this.

This 'grind' for gear that you're speaking of - I understand you have to put a lot of hours into it, but it's nowhere near as bad as it is in Diablo 3, correct? Also, once you finish your dungeon and if you didn't get the drop you wanted, can you just go back into it or do you have to wait for it to reset? How many different dungeons can you do? And do they all drop different gear, or is it shared somewhat?
    Dungeons give dungeon tokens which you use to buy gear.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon

You can also buy exotic gear if you get the gold.

Ascended gear is what takes awhile. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_equipment

Fractals is a differn't progression, the higher level fractals need agony resist to complete

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 01:39 AM ----------

without agony resist at higher levels this is what the agony mechanic will hit you for:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agony
    Last edited by zito; 2013-04-24 at 01:40 AM.

one word: zerg fest.

Dont mistake me, I loved group events, they were quite epic, many single player RP games cant even come close. But in term of strategic requirement they were no more than WoW world bosses. There is no proper raid (a game needs it or not does not matter here): you die, you run back, you die, you run back, repeat (if you can die). Passin along objective information/comment/comparison is what the OP is asking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM6f81JzlOM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORBVY9SQ_Rw

Its not as bad, just time consuming but you can do it in pieces, no one forces your hand anyway. In D3 you have nothing but mob grinding, this game has way more activities and more people to interact with (dunno how many still playing right now).

If I recall right, there is no limit of how many runs you can do each hour. But it gets boring pretty fast if you only grind a certain dungeon for a certain good-looking set.
    Last edited by kronpas; 2013-04-24 at 02:45 AM.

one word: zerg fest.
    It was fine till dragon timers appeared, then it became a zerg fest. It's why I do them at off hours, but guild missions cover plenty raid.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It was fine till dragon timers appeared, then it became a zerg fest. It's why I do them at off hours, but guild missions cover plenty raid.
    This. 10 char. Can I do that? :O

Jk xD.

The OP is very picky :O.

Buy it and try it. Didn't like? Give it to me .

I still think that they should make some events instanced so everyone can enjoy them how they should be enjoyed. (non-zerg). No I don't want raids, just want to kill a dragon with a certain degree of difficulty XD. (Aka less players among other methods XD)