10+ Year Old Account

Rework the Videos Games Forum.

Alot of the sub forums in the video games forum are very inactive and there are other active game threads that do deserve their spots.

Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn & Wildstar deserve there own sub threads, while the inactive sub threads in the video games sections should get moved to just a single thread with all the other games the in the Video Game discussion thread.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Not at all.

There seems to be only 1 thread for Final Fantasy 14 and its only at 50 pages.

Why would it need its own sub-forum?

10+ Year Old Account
    because most times when a thread gets created and its not about an announcement or a megathread it quickly gets buried due to the vast amount of megathreads on the video games forums.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Well there is certainly potential for iteration on the video games boards. Just going by the numbers it seems like neither Rift, LoL nor Minecraft have much of a community here.

That's fine, every game has a limited life-cycle and I think the dedicated boards should be exchanged more frequently depending on what is currently popular.

I'd much rather see something like Minecraft removed again and replaced with a dedicated TESO board as it's just got much more to discuss than a game that has been out for years.

Imo it's ok to replace a game once it looses popularity and it should happen more often.

I'd like to suggest a seperate subforum for all those megathreads in the Video Games Forum. Its really annoying that about 50% of al the threads are megathreads, and a lot of interesting new ones are just gonna sink down way too fast.

Just add a subforum inside the subforum and call it something like ''Video Games megathreads''.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I'd like to suggest a seperate subforum for all those megathreads in the Video Games Forum. Its really annoying that about 50% of al the threads are megathreads, and a lot of interesting new ones are just gonna sink down way too fast.

Just add a subforum inside the subforum and call it something like ''Video Games megathreads''.
    That is probably a better idea. Getting rid of some of the franchise related sub forums for video games would be a good idea in my opinion. Keeping the Blizzard related game forums makes sense since this site is inhabited by a lot of WoW players and some do play StarCraft and Diablo as well, however rather then having sub forums like Rift and League of Legends, why not have sub forums dedicated to the three console manufacturers instead? Not only does that lessen the amount of fanboy arguing in threads over multiplatform games, but it focuses more on those platforms and removes them from the Video Games Discussion section where those topics frequently get buried and then bumped due to the pace of the forum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    That is probably a better idea. Getting rid of some of the franchise related sub forums for video games would be a good idea in my opinion. Keeping the Blizzard related game forums makes sense since this site is inhabited by a lot of WoW players and some do play StarCraft and Diablo as well, however rather then having sub forums like Rift and League of Legends, why not have sub forums dedicated to the three console manufacturers instead? Not only does that lessen the amount of fanboy arguing in threads over multiplatform games, but it focuses more on those platforms and removes them from the Video Games Discussion section where those topics frequently get buried and then bumped due to the pace of the forum.
    Most modern games are multi-platform anyway so I don't see much merit in splitting up the console-gaming section. Also it makes sense to assume most people who post here are actually PC Gamers.

I personally hate the Megathreads as they make it virtually impossible to engage in proper discussions. I mean I can see why they exist, but I don't like what it does to debates. They essentially become glorified FAQs where the same questions are repeated infinitely, as are the answers. That's why they so commonly reach 300+ pages because nobody can be arsed reading all the previous stuff.

I've actually taken a look at most 100+ paged megathreads, it seems it are often just the same 2-4 people who keep bumping it by having a conversation. They are basically more of a chat thread.

I don't see any problem giving the megathreads a small subforum for their own, inside the video game subforum. Its really annpying to see so many megathreads on the first page, which just aren't worth visiting to jump into some conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I like this Idea. But I also like what Crowe said, where the Video Games threads that are not popular, should be removed & replaced with new ones, But being a WoW fansite the Blizzard games can stay as alot of WoW players do play SC2 / D3 aswell.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-05-06 at 12:10 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Deleted
    The only Megathread that needs its own sub forum right now is Dota 2. Mainly because Dota 2 has so much that can be discussed, alot of different heroes, items, strategies, a great competetive scene and so on. The others are fine in my eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    The only Megathread that needs its own sub forum right now is Dota 2. Mainly because Dota 2 has so much that can be discussed, alot of different heroes, items, strategies, a great competetive scene and so on. The others are fine in my eyes.
    I like Dota 2, I would like to see it have its own thread. It could take the spot of the least populated or inactive thread, than just make a megathread for the one removed.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-05-06 at 12:16 PM.

Deleted
    I think we could be more benefited by making a genre based video game tree:

general gaming, includes all discussions not aimed at a specific game or genre.
    suptopics are:
    1) RPG: includes both online and offline RPGs, both singleplayer, multiplayer and MMO;
    2) strategy: includes both offline and online strategy, both turnbased, realtime and action based (basically MOBA).
    3) Action: includes all action games, including shooters, platformers, fighting games, player-based sports games (like FIFA and PES, games like championship manager and blood bowl are strategy in my book).
    4) adventure: includes all adventure games and adventure related, like puzzle games, text adventures,...

this way, gaming related discussion is no longer linked to a temporary concept like a game or a console, but to a genre. I mean, we'll always have games of the above 4 types, and the games that don't really fit in any category can be placed in general gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck View Post
    I think we could be more benefited by making a genre based video game tree.
    A great idea aswell. I approve any subtopics as long as they help a lot to clear the subforum. Either a place to put all the megathreads in, or sort them out by genre.

I just hope the mods can fix this megathreads issue. I really like visiting the Video Game subforum, but it sucks to always see the board filled with almost only megathreads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    A great idea aswell. I approve any subtopics as long as they help a lot to clear the subforum. Either a place to put all the megathreads in, or sort them out by genre.

I just hope the mods can fix this megathreads issue. I really like visiting the Video Game subforum, but it sucks to always see the board filled with almost only megathreads.
    Exactly how I feel. Let the popular Megathreads have there own sub forum & the unpopular sub threads can be bumped back to a singe thread in a genre based sub thread.