Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    not from start, but when at level cap you should be able to fly.
    but when you do it again for the second time. imo you should be able to fly from start.
    just your first char should not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe a combination of both WotLK and MoP. Have no flying until max level. Want your alts to fly to lvl a bit faster? Rep at max level that when you get exaulted you will be able to send books over like in wotlk. it keeps it less entitled and more grindy for those who want it.

imo, flying has kinda ruined the game. i understand people want to get from A to B faster, but there should be a journey to get there. I'd rather have faster land mounts than flying.

The less flying in the game, the better. Instead of adding new zones where flying is possible, I would rather they start taking it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    The less flying in the game, the better. Instead of adding new zones where flying is possible, I would rather they start taking it away.
    Why? Why not just use your ground mounts if you love them so much?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I loved flying - that was actually part of the reason why I didn't even bother trying MoP. I didn't like the concept to begin with so leveling just sounded like a chore. I got a free trial offer not that long ago, but what do you know, STILL NO DAMN FLYING 7 months after release? ugh. I love the Legion so I'd definitely try a Legion expac with flying, I don't know if I can bothered to play without it again. For me it opened up the world more and removed a lot of the less fun busywork. Having to kill ten extra trash mobs when you already finished the quest isn't "seeing the world" it's busywork.

For the record my account was active from sometime between AQ and Naxx patch in vanilla until 10 months ago. So, I had to deal with all the annoying trash mobs in vanilla (defias pillagers, redridge gnoll camps) and it certainly wasn't fun. I'm sad my alts had more fun leveling in Northrend than my main - I really think that place looks way better from the air. Leveling was about the only part of Cata I did like.

Edit: For the immersion argument, I think that's an opinion. Now you can fly - oh sorry, now you can't - now you can again - whoops, forgot how to use your dragon you can't fly again - certainly kills immersion for me. I am also way more likely to stop and appreciate a pretty bit of scenery if taking a look doesn't require killing ten trash mobs.
    Last edited by rebecca191; 2013-04-28 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    This.
    Questing in Pandaria was very nice, imagine that with flying mounts ? No fun at all, you could skip half of quests and cutscenes.
    Make RPG real RPG, not just lfr lfd and other fastfood things.

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 04:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Why stop at flying mounts? Mounts in general are a horrible feature. Makes the game far to hectic and fast. How about forcing people to run or we could remove even that making walking speed the fasts. Of course all the flight masters get also removed alongside all zeppelins and ships. Gotta swim from Eastern Kingdoms to Kalimdor.
    Dont be so rough. We dont want the game to move in a turtle speed. Ground mounts (60-100% increase) is exactly what is needed - to move fast, but not so fast as it now, where you can move from point A to point B with closed eyes and simply ignore the landscape. I believe 1\2 of players today would not notice either its grass and trees below them or blank white textures.
    Last edited by ssviolett; 2013-04-28 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    It could work if the skies had obsticles/dangers of its own. Sadly, a majority of zones make very little use of that verticle space.
    Oh the skies over Skettis are calling lol. I hated that place back in the day doing skyguard dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Why? Why not just use your ground mounts if you love them so much?
    Because it is stupid. To try the game in way, which wasnt designed for. Have you ever tried, for example, Icecrown glacier zone without flying mount ? Try it, and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    You are delusional.

The immersion and experience of an MMO shouldn't be reduced to: 1)get quest, 2) fly high in the air avoiding any and all obstacles in the way of quest objectives, 3)do quest objectives, 4)fly high in the air avoiding any and all obstacles in the way of turning in quest, 5)???, 6) Profit.
    Reassurance topic confirmed.

While I think flying should not be in the new zones from the start, I also think the new zones should be designed with that in mind. Pandaria is horrendous in terms of design without a flying mount. There are mountains and hills everywhere (Jade Forest, I'm looking at you). Mobs should be the only obstacle, imo.
    Last edited by Phasma; 2013-04-28 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ssviolett View Post
    Because it is stupid. To try the game in way, which wasnt designed for. Have you ever tried, for example, Icecrown glacier zone without flying mount ? Try it, and see.
    Icecrown and a lot of Stormpeaks were designed for flight though.

Pandaland kind of isn't.. or, I should say, all the important stuff is accessible without flying.

The saved time is nice, the feeling of freedom is also nice, but there's no question that flying simply invalidates ANY of the already small amount of challenge in quests. One of the best examples that has always stuck in my mind is the Hellfire Peninsula one where you have to go to the orc village and set 4 buildings on fire. If you buy the flight book, this quest goes from a drawn out effort that's going to invariably have you fighting quite a bit, to one where you'll be in and out in about 45 seconds, as you can simply land on the rooftops.

They better. While I do think MoP is a success and a big step up from Cata, leveling in MoP has done a lot of damage. I know at least 3 people that have vowed to never ever level up a new alt ever again, and I totally get it. No linearity, no flying and far too many quests have done more damage than good if you ask me.

In any case, the damage with flying to the game has been done, and forcing people to go backwards with each alt is not a solution.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like that they didn't allow flying until max level for the other expansions, other than Cataclysm. So continuing on with not allowing it until max level after MoP is more than fine. Questing on the ground is an epic feeling. Maybe not so much in WoW, since we have flying mounts and we are use to them.

Should flying be a huge gold sink? Eh, maybe or maybe not. Gold making isn't as hard anymore, so putting any price on it wont really matter. It would slow it down somewhat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Only locks getting flying and they have to use demon form to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    You are delusional.

The immersion and experience of an MMO shouldn't be reduced to: 1)get quest, 2) fly high in the air avoiding any and all obstacles in the way of quest objectives, 3)do quest objectives, 4)fly high in the air avoiding any and all obstacles in the way of turning in quest, 5)???, 6) Profit.
    I can't believe I'm saying this...but I actually agree with Jaylock here. Having flying in Cata, to me, made it...boring. There really was no 'danger' feeling when leveling. The only area that's an exception was Vash. And when the poster that Jaylock is quoting here says that being on the ground is old school, etc, that person should definitely look at MMOs now that are not WoW. Some don't have mounts! And if they did, there is no flying.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

10+ Year Old Account
    Allowing flying right away kinda came back and bit blizzard in the ass. Everyone finished cata leveling, exploring, and whatnot quickly and blamed blizzard for selling them short. We are ground bound in new expansions for quite a while I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by welcome2life View Post
    Allowing flying right away kinda came back and bit blizzard in the ass. Everyone finished cata leveling, exploring, and whatnot quickly and blamed blizzard for selling them short. We are ground bound in new expansions for quite a while I'm afraid.
    Cataclysm failed because the level 85 content was boring and there wasn't enough of it. Two extra days to level would not have saved it in any way, and if Blizzard thinks so, they are delusional. Leveling was IMO one of the very few enjoyable things in Cata. But I did always want to fly over Hyjal.

10+ Year Old Account
    As stated by previous posters, there are a whole lot of assumptions in the OP. Whatever the theme of the next expansion is, the system I liked most was how they approached flying in WotLK. Level up not quite to max level, get flying skill, and later in the expansion they gave us account bound flying tomes for alts. Seemed like a pretty good system to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was a fan of the wotlk concept at the beginning. don't allow flying for your first char, but add an BoA item which grants the ability to fly. buyable with max lvl, usable with minimum lvl.

Its not even a question.

Yes. They should.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."