Poll: Do you Datamine before doing new content?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you play WoW before Datamining.

I love MMO Champion, and while Nostalgia has those rose tinted bullshitters, I remember walking into Kara the first time having no clue wtf was going on and everything was such a wonder. Then I was told about MMO Champion and ever since I never step foot into a raid or heroic without reading up as much about the instance as possible from data-mined sources in order to not let my team down by being the weakest link. I sometimes wonder if that is the main reason why many people look at the past of this game as being superior, simply because back in the day we didn't have as much information readily available, or I should say that the community wasn't as aware of these resources.

So how about you, do you do new content blindly without looking things up like LFR(love this feature) or 5 mans, or do you quickly turn to your favourite encounter resource to make sure you know everything before stepping foot into one, and more so how do you feel this effects your overall experience?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to but most of the time the expectation is that you more or less know what's going on--to some degree or other--with new content. Yes, the idea of exploring a new zone, area, dungeon or raid without knowing anything about it is very attractive and something I like a lot. It's very difficult to do though except for content that is designed for solo-only play. The expectations of others, even friends and guildmates, are very high.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I spoil myself and regret it. Just can't help taking a peak though

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    well, i decided to say no, because i don't look at how the zone looks in videos posted on MMO-Champ as an example, i read up on the tacs if i'm in a team, else i dont

10+ Year Old Account
    dont give flying fck about datamined crap , i read patchnotes tho to know what/where.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly avoid MMO-C front page when new stuff is coming out. I read patch notes, but I don't watch the videos or walkthroughs or loot tables.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I would like to but most of the time the expectation is that you more or less know what's going on--to some degree or other--with new content. Yes, the idea of exploring a new zone, area, dungeon or raid without knowing anything about it is very attractive and something I like a lot. It's very difficult to do though except for content that is designed for solo-only play. The expectations of others, even friends and guildmates, are very high.
    This, IMO, is the problem with this game I can't really think of any game that I am pretty much forced to know shit ahead of time or be punished by judgement. Most of my fun in a game is reaching a challenging aspect and overcoming it using critical thinking. When you are faced with 4,9 or 24 other people ready to critique your every move and scorn you for failing the group it is really discouraging to not prepare yourself ahead of time for what is coming.

Wotlk though I did most Heroics without looking up boss mechanics as a Tank and shit was that fun but it was with friends so that justifies it. Can't get away with this stuff other then with friends.

I'm one of those people who flips to the end of a book to see if I can draw make up the story in my own head and see how much of my time it is worth investing in reading,

So yes I check out everything. Surprisingly, I really wanted to play Mists once the initial Blizzcon announcement (Horrible choice of screenshots imo) was surpassed with better zone work pics and raid (not the dungeons) videos, but had already decided not to.
    It wasn't long ago / I was just like you / And now I think I'm sick and I wanna go home!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    what if SEARING WOLVES? The possibilities?!!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    I spoil myself and regret it. Just can't help taking a peak though
    100% THIS ^^

I always take that Peak, can't help myself..

right.. your title is actully quite missleading.. looking up information about relased information( aka someone else have dug it up) is not datamining.
    datamining is when YOU dig something up, that no-one really posted about..

But regarding reading up on the bosses and such from the PTR? yes I do, why? because I want to do my role in my guild correctly and i want to understand the bosses to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    100% THIS ^^

I always take that Peak, can't help myself..
    I look at LFR and see the opportunity to avoid datamining all together but like you both I always take that peak that leaves me in regret it's like eating food past the point of logic even though I recognize I am doing myself no good.

No, walk-throughs make games boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe it's just the age i'm from, but using the internet to acquire information is basically cheating to me. i usually try to figure things out before accessing information, because that just makes a game a lot more fun to me.

I agree that getting information on stuff, say a raid boss, before you ever even see them takes a lot of the fun out of the game. To me, I think it's less about the year/expansion in relation to information being readily available, and more that when you're a noob you don't think it matters much, or you don't know about the information. WotLK had such a mysterious appeal to me because that's when it started, when I was new.

I think that's kinda why I've been not as interested in gaming lately. Everywhere you look you have information on all these games thrown in your face, and you lose that first time mystery.

First time in I try not to, but typically co-raiders (whether LFR or not) have suggestions. This expansion I think I've done my best at it because my guild raiding team dissolved so I hop into LFR on the very first day when no one knows anything (or most don't). Spent 3+ hours first time doing part 4 of ToT. I allowed an afternoon for it and it was fun, wipes and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    right.. your title is actully quite missleading.. looking up information about relased information( aka someone else have dug it up) is not datamining.
    datamining is when YOU dig something up, that no-one really posted about..

But regarding reading up on the bosses and such from the PTR? yes I do, why? because I want to do my role in my guild correctly and i want to understand the bosses to some degree.
    Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think MMO Champion has(at least in the past) strictly focused on released information, I understand that a patch technically releases information via the file distributed but that doesn't technically mean it is globally released information. MMO-C reads into that information in order to relay its usual front page patch news, we generally visit MMO-C because it interprets that information to us which is in our own way data-mining on a primitive level. At the very least we are fishing for data-mined information even if we ourselves aren't doing the elementary data-mining.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiel View Post
    Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think MMO Champion has(at least in the past) strictly focused on released information, I understand that a patch technically releases information via the file distributed but that doesn't technically mean it is globally released information. MMO-C reads into that information in order to relay its usual front page patch news, we generally visit MMO-C because it interprets that information to us which is in our own way data-mining on a primitive level. At the very least we are fishing for data-mined information even if we ourselves aren't doing the elementary data-mining.
    Data-mining is the act if searching through updated files to see whats been updated. Reading data-mined information does not make you a data-miner.

I am not sure how you think someone doing all of the hard work and finding all the information is similar to reading what someone else has found.

i love spoilers, when i hear about a movie for example thats coming up i read up on everything related, watch all clips, read all the story and the whole synopsis if possible and then watch it, whether or not i know what happens in advance doesnt change how i feel when i finally get there.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Data-mining is the act if searching through updated files to see whats been updated. Reading data-mined information does not make you a data-miner.

I am not sure how you think someone doing all of the hard work and finding all the information is similar to reading what someone else has found.
    I never in my post equated the two, if you want to know how they are similar it is quite simple, They both know exactly the same information that is how they are similar at least in terms of this forum where everything is publicly available. Or in other words both parties are seeking information and both are getting information even though one party is gaining information from the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always read spoilers before I play any game (not just WoW) so I know how to do everything before I have to do it. Some say that takes the fun out of it, but I say it takes the frustration out of it.