Poll: Can a non-Hunter bow class fit in WoW?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm all for One handed crossbows and guns.

A dark ranger would indeed be similar to a hunter, but not more similar than a paladin is to a warrior or a death knight, and those are distinct enough to fit in the same design space. Tinkers as well, would probably use ranged weapons, including bows with trick gadget arrows ala Hawkeye or somesuch, and they are one of the more requested potential classes.

A comparison to hunters is inevitable in such a class, but a melee class would inevitably be compared to the existing melee classes, a healer would inevitably be compared to the existing healers, and so on. That comparison in no way means that hunters have fully plumbed the depths of what is possible in a physical ranged class.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    tinkers could in a ranged dps, or dark rangers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    mages now use bows/guns/crossbows
    they shoot their spells
    BANG
    they aren't anything like hunters
    Hunters have arcane shot.

I'm a bit disappointed that Shuriken Toss can't be glyphed to use a gun model and firing for it's animations.

Tinkers would be really quite difficult to implement - there's a whole host of issues to resolve in regards to weapons/armour/stats/specs and compatibility etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Tinkers would be really quite difficult to implement - there's a whole host of issues to resolve in regards to weapons/armour/stats/specs and compatibility etc.
    Conceptually, those things aren't really that hard to do. I could whip up a Tinker pretty quickly, and necessary changes to the rest of the game to accomodate.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Weapons= guns, xbows, 1h maces, swords, axes
    Armor= INT mail, AGI mail
    Stats= AGI, INT, STAM
    Specs= Tank, DPS, Heal
    Class basis=Goblin Tinker, Goblin Alchemist, Mekkatorque

Seems pretty easy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    There is definitely a demand in the community for an archer class that doesn't require a pet
    yep, it's called "fix the goddamn marks spec".

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Ranger class ftw?
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    For all intents and purposes, we're still missing a "magical archer" class. No cold arrow, no explosive arrow, no ricochet arrow, etc.
    erm... survival explosive shot?

I can imagine them removing MM and Surv from the Hunter Class. In their place add a Pet based tank spec and a pet based melee spec.
    Add a new class with the removed MM and Surv with Healer spec as the third( something that uses herbs and bandage like spells to heal)

If we can have shadow priests, warlocks and mages, yes of course

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure next class in WoW is going to be some kind of ranger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could have a spec that combines them both in a way. Have Dark Ranger and Demon Hunter actually be specs. the class will use mail, Dark ranger could be a ranged spec, demon hunter be ranged I would like another class that can be both ranged dps and melee besides shaman/druid though lore wise that would be extremely difficult / stupid

Honestly I will likely be happy with whatever blizz does because I know they will find a way to make it somewhat unique at least, and i'll likely play it

10+ Year Old Account
    And can this class be implemented and be significantly different than hunters?

As most know, the major gap in class balance strongly suggests that the 12th class will use Mail, and more than likely use physical ranged weapons. Tinkers are a strong possibility, and would be a unique class. Tinkers would fill this gap quite well.

There is also a strong desire for another bow class. Dark Ranger is constantly cited as a desired class concept. So is the Diablo 3 version of the Demon Hunter. There is definitely a demand in the community for an archer class that doesn't require a pet, and there are plenty of archer heroes from WC3 and other sources that can be utilized to flesh this class out.

However, can there be another bow class in WoW that doesn't overlap with Hunters? If so, how could such a class be implemented?

I look forward to our responses.
    Why are you assuming there will be a 12th class?

WoW doesn't need more classes - the only thing it needs is for the existing classes to actually be balanced.

I would MUCH rather they spend effort making pre-90 (or pre-95, I guess) content engaging and meaningful, rather than "slog through this to get to level cap so you can start playing the actual game."

And then they can go back through and figure out what they want to do with PvP so there's an actual design direction for it, rather than it just being tacked on as an afterthought to PvE.

Also, why the hell would you make a Tinker class? The only races who would make sense as tinkers would be goblins and gnomes, and Engineering already has the silly gadgets you'd associate with such a class.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Yes

demon hunter, or 4th spec for warrior or rogue

and 2 different kind of weapon:

2H ( bow/gun)
    1h X 2 ( pistols/ crossbows)

to make different gameplay specs

Could it be implemented? Yes.

Easily? Probably not, any class is a lot of work and making three specs and a full talent tree for them to choose from while not crossing into Hunter territory would pose its challenges.

Would I play it, or even care? No.

Some version of tinkers would be great :
    -Uses range weapons
    -Uses plate int armor

Most of the gear problems are solved, possibly add 1 spec that uses daggers.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    And can this class be implemented and be significantly different than hunters?

As most know, the major gap in class balance strongly suggests that the 12th class will use Mail, and more than likely use physical ranged weapons. Tinkers are a strong possibility, and would be a unique class. Tinkers would fill this gap quite well.

There is also a strong desire for another bow class. Dark Ranger is constantly cited as a desired class concept. So is the Diablo 3 version of the Demon Hunter. There is definitely a demand in the community for an archer class that doesn't require a pet, and there are plenty of archer heroes from WC3 and other sources that can be utilized to flesh this class out.

However, can there be another bow class in WoW that doesn't overlap with Hunters? If so, how could such a class be implemented?

I look forward to our responses.
    Easily.

But I'm not sure it actually requires another class.

The D3 version of the DH could be integrated into one of the existing Hunters specs. This would create some much needed variety in gameplay, I think. Marksmanship would be a good place | think, but Survival could also work.

Then there is the Ranger archetype. I could see this as being a sub-class of the Rogue. Again, doing this would allow for an AGI based leather wearing physical ranged DPS which would also create competition for bows and AGI ranged weapons.

But that brings us back to the core problem. If we want a mail wearing AGI based class that makes use of ranged weaponry....we already have the Hunter, and that argues more for a revamp of that classes specs. Is that an insurmountable issue? No.

If the game did get a new class, a Mail user does seem likely. But there isn't really any obvious archetype for that armor.

EJL