15+ Year Old Account

Relative PvP Noob, confusing terms...

Hi, I've not done any real PvP since TBC, currently leveling a toon for the sole purpose of PvPing with, so naturally I'm looking a lot more at PvP related forums and guides. I've noticed, however, that some of the terminology used is somewhat new since the TBC days. Does anyone know of a guide to the terminology used? One of the main offenders thus far is Peeling- while I've got a rough idea, I'm not 100% sure what people mean when they say to peel etc? As a rogue what would that entail?

Might explain that in a short example.

You are a rogue , you are in 2s with a healer. Enemy team is a dk/something. The enemy dk pops his/her cooldowns and goes for your Healer. You stop whatever you are doing at that moment and target that dk ; slowing him , stunning him , disarming him ; doing whatever you can to stop hitting your healer.

That's peeling

Peeling would be assisting your teammate (generally a healer in most situations) by helping alleviate pressure being applied to them from enemy players. You generally do this by snaring, fearing, slowing, etc. the enemy player allowing your teammate to create some distance between himself and the enemy.

Arenajunkies is the big PvP forum, but idk how active they are these days. If you have questions on terms and stuff, most people on this forum should be able to help.

15+ Year Old Account
    So I wasn't far off with my assumption which was its effectively CCing the person attacking my team mate?

Next question - the points system has changed from back in TBC, I often see people in trade looking for a partner to cap. While I understand that there is the weekly cap on points, surely picking a partner up for 2's in trade you won't be winning much? can you cap by losing? if so how many games does it take to cap with losses compared to wins? and if you can cap with losses does that mean its worth doing 2's to get cap while I'm still honor farming to gear up initially?

You don't get any points from losing but generally people expect atleast honor gear(476 in this case i think) so you don't lose too much. It is advisable to cap every week since there is no catchup mechanic so once you don't cap those points are lost. If your gear is very bad then find a friend to carry you to cap. I found as rogue that was easiest with my hunter friend.

15+ Year Old Account
    So what is the best process for gearing up? A friend should be making me most of the LWing bits (a mix of the 2 sets, depending what he's 'discovered' by the time I hit 90) and then fill in the honor gaps before replacing the crafted gear. But when to hit arenas to start aiming for conquest?

Like i said, points you don't cap are lost so if possible, find a friend to cap you. Hunter popping all cds while you cc the other person works wonders. If you can't find anyone i suggest trying to get as much cp as possible from random bgs even tho it's pretty tedious.

If you got time/will and a tank/healer friend you can also get honor from random dungeons since it's generally faster to get honro from that.

15+ Year Old Account
    points not capped are lost? so say if the cap is 1000 points and I only get 500 points in the week - they're lost? or do they just follow on to the next week?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    points not capped are lost? so say if the cap is 1000 points and I only get 500 points in the week - they're lost? or do they just follow on to the next week?
    Every week you can get 1800 conquest points, so essentially if you dont cap 1800 points in the week, you loose 1800 points in long term. Once you earn them you don't loose them, there is only 5k cap right now in place.

However there will be conquest point catch up in 5.3, so for every week since season start in which you didn't play you will get 1000 extra cap. For example if there was 15 weeks since season start when 5.3 hits you will get 15k conquest points cap. So you just loose 800 a wekk essentially without rating. You can get extra conquests from rbg looses without gear, or pvp dailies on isle of thunder.

You already missed like 7 weeks? of cap, so if you just get extra 800 every week compared to conquest catch up, you would have to play like 9 weeks, only so it would be like conquest catch up. So you might as well start to play in 5.3, but noone is sure when 5.3 will be released so that's up to you. If you manage to cap 2.2k or higher, obviously it would be better to start playing now, cause you could get to those weeks*1000points much quicker.

You should start by farming honor gear. Best by Told Barad, Random BG daily wins, or farming dungeons and changing justice into honor points, probably fastest and most painless way, especially if you can go as tank or healer, it's very fast.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i use the term "in africa" alot. meaning the person is out in the middle of no where.

example: "i got feared into africa!" - telling my team i took an awful fear path and its bad news.

this can also be used as a positive by announcing an opponent(usually healer) is in africa and its time to try and get a kill.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

There is not a particular place you can go to get updated on terminology, but that is mostly because the arena scene has been in steady decline this expansion and sites like skill-capped, arenajunkies, etc are not very active anymore. Honestly, I would hope that the players you are playing with would not have such an elitist attitude that if you asked questions during/after/before a game they would not mind. Some of the best conversations I have had about PvP have been with my arena teammates while waiting for queue just talking about different classes/skills/comps/strats, etc.

If your teammates are being dicks and you don't feel like you can ask them, I suggest finding new guys before you get too invested.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention that something you did not have in TBC is the multitude of streamers. Go to twitch.tv and check out some players and watch them. It is pretty easy to watch while you level and you will pick up a lot of the lingo and changes. The nice thing about streaming as opposed to youtube videos is that you get more than the highlight reel. You get the losses, the 4 minutes of setup and all the voice communication going around. It is very informative for new/average players.
    Last edited by Tyrean; 2013-04-26 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranaas View Post
    Might explain that in a short example.

You are a rogue , you are in 2s with a healer. Enemy team is a dk/something. The enemy dk pops his/her cooldowns and goes for your Healer. You stop whatever you are doing at that moment and target that dk ; slowing him , stunning him , disarming him ; doing whatever you can to stop hitting your healer.

That's peeling
    Peeling is the concept that, when you are being FFd, someone comes in and makes (ostensibly) the other player reevaluate their chances of accomplishing their goal, vs the expectation it won't be worth it regardless. Essentially, making him change targets. What you describe is CC, and does not mean they'll change targets.

New termonology: Going Ham. Eat your opponent alive, effectively killing him or making him blow his CDs to survive.

You can also define it by poping all CDs with abilities letting you stick on your target making you unpeelable aka Dancing with Cloak of shadows up vs a caster team. They cant peel ya ;P
    http://ptr.wowdb.com/items/97457-scissors is not a sword... or at least thats what my mom told me when I was 6.