Deleted

Post workout food

Hey guys, I recently started doing some running and tried to look up what to eat in the 60 minutes after a workout. A lot of sites tell stuff like: High protein, etc. etc. and there are some contradictory statements as well. So I thought I might ask here for advice.

The main goal of my workout is weight loss if that matters.

Also the main type of advice I'm looking for is what type of foods. I heard that quark (here in the Netherlands it's sold as a sort of yoghurt with fruity flavors if preferred) is good but again, not really sure about that.

Carbs, protein, and a little good fat. Calories and how much of each depend on your diet but since you're running id say more carbs than protein and more protein than fat but all of that is subjective to your diet. I try to avoid yogurt just because of the amount of sugar that can be in them is about as bad as a soda. Just read the label and work the macros and calories into your diet if you really want it but I would keep it in moderation.

Ideally you want protein with a small amount of carbs. The carbs help the protein absorb into your blood faster. Protein is the building blocks of muscle. So for you it is not as necessary but it'll help your legs get stronger/recover faster. I personally use no sugar nesquik chocolate powder and 16 oz of milk to make chocolate milk. It has protein and carbs. I'll also eat a banana and some carrots. You don't need a big meal after a workout.

Well weight loss is a touchy subject as you probably want fat loss over just a solid mass since I assume you want to preserve or gain some muscle. There are two contradictory things with eating tons of carbs for a post workout as it can cause an insulin spike which hinders the HGH your body produces during the workout to help start the rebuilding progress of hypertrophy if the goal is to build some muscle.

Also before you start thinking "I want to lose weight" weight is not the important part here's an example, I'm 5'7 195lb and 11% body fat if you put me next to a person with same height and weight but 25-30% body fat he would appear to look heavier when in reality we would weigh the same.

But my post workout would consist of chicken breast with a side of steamed broccoli and brown rice.

Deleted
    A decent chocolate milkshake or a banana straight after your workout.

Chicken, broccoli and brown rice is a good call. Although I find brown rice difficult to eat, I usually add an egg to it, to make it a little...moist.

Right here you have the Protein (chicken and egg), Carbs (brown rice mainly), Fat (egg, chicken) and then the broccoli that provides the fibre and calcium.

Protein, Carbs and Fat. You want the 40/40/20.

Combine this with your exercise and you're on the road to greatness.

I advise Michi's ladder. Did me well when I wasn't sure on different foods.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/en/eat-smart/michis-ladder
    Last edited by mmoc06ccea41fb; 2013-04-27 at 11:59 AM.

Deleted
    A glass of milk or a banana.

Deleted
    That's stupid.

Infracted for trolling/spamming
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-05-01 at 12:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i generally have a coffee before, and then a Banana post work out.

yummy
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest a fast-digesting Whey Protein or BCAA's - builds muscle. having more muscle requires more energy (calories) to support that muscle --> less energy going to fat.

Like you said, there's a time frame of @ 60 minutes post-workout, so you don't want to eat a steak or something that takes a while to digest.

The same goes if you would like carbs/sugars, have something simple and fast-digesting eg fruit/gatorade/etc. If your goal is weight-loss, I would limit the carbs/sugars somewhat, but having some can help spike your blood sugars and aid in faster protein intake.

MOST importantly though, research for yourself is very good, don't go in a store and let them tell you what you "need", they will just sell you what they need to sell.
    source: Former Sports Nutrition Employee

Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    I would suggest a fast-digesting Whey Protein or BCAA's - builds muscle. having more muscle requires more energy (calories) to support that muscle --> less energy going to fat.

Like you said, there's a time frame of @ 60 minutes post-workout, so you don't want to eat a steak or something that takes a while to digest.

The same goes if you would like carbs/sugars, have something simple and fast-digesting eg fruit/gatorade/etc. If your goal is weight-loss, I would limit the carbs/sugars somewhat, but having some can help spike your blood sugars and aid in faster protein intake.

MOST importantly though, research for yourself is very good, don't go in a store and let them tell you what you "need", they will just sell you what they need to sell.
    source: Former Sports Nutrition Employee
    I'd like to add to this, when buying a protein powder make sure you look for a complete amino acid profile. I used to work in a health store and we were basically told which brands to sell - so be informed and know what you're after.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidewok View Post
    I'd like to add to this, when buying a protein powder make sure you look for a complete amino acid profile. I used to work in a health store and we were basically told which brands to sell - so be informed and know what you're after.
    Maybe you could go into detail what that is, cause I sure as hell don't know.

Deleted
    Clarification; The 60-minute post-workout window only applies when you're really min/maxing. For people casually working out it hardly matters.

Since you're Dutch, and I am too: One of the best brands of quark is magere Konings Kwark. One "box" only costs ~0.65€ and contains 500g quark, 275 kcal, of which: 44gr protein, 24gr carbs and 0.5gr fat.
    Only downside is that it tastes gross compared to the other brands with tons of sugar and added flavours, but you'll have to make that small sacrifice.

You are trying to lose fat, so optimum recovery / performance isn't a requirement. If you are serious about losing fat, you need to have your diet dialed in. If you have your diet dialed in properly, and you are hungry after your run, then eat your next planned meal / snack. If you aren't hungry, then don't eat until you are.

Don't make it overly complicated. Needing to eat some special ratio of protein and carbs after working out is a bunch of crap made up by the supplement industry.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quark or cottage cheese is perfect as a light meal after a jog. You could add some berries and stevia/tagatesse for sweetness, or some chopped almonds if you like something to chew on.