Poll: Is a 4th Spec Possible?

Thread: 4th Spec Ideas

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So over and over "druid: already has 4th spec" yeah, we do, we got half a spec we've already had for years. If every other class wants brand new specs they better at least overhaul what druids got.

Actually ele shaman is fire and enh is air.

---------- Post added 2013-05-01 at 09:56 AM ----------

Also just voting yes so i can express my views on shaman tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
    So over and over "druid: already has 4th spec" yeah, we do, we got half a spec we've already had for years. If every other class wants brand new specs they better at least overhaul what druids got.
    Druids get four specs in MoP where all others have three, and were the only class besides the initial DK concept that could do two roles in one spec beforehand. Not getting a new spec in the next expansions wouldn't be screwing over druids, it would be giving other classes what druids already have.

Deleted
    Deathknight - a ranged dps is the only real thing here
    Druid - already has
    Rogue - pirate. Dual wield a 1 hander and a 1h gun
    Warrior - Gladiator - dual wield parry tank. priests are the classic healer so have 2 heal specs, warriors are the class tank so should have 2 tank specs.
    mage - Chronomancer - Preventitive healer, more like disc than other healers.
    Monk - Skyseer - ranged dps.
    Hunter - Savagery - melee or 1h gun dual wield - petless
    Warlock - Permanent demon form tank, maybe race specific - like fel orcs and the elves from MGT that kind of thing. Converts most spells into instant melee attacks that deal magical damage.
    paladin -inquisitor - shockadin nuff said. maybe half heal half damage like a smite priest.
    priest - holy/arcane ranged damage with a bow or crossbow.

The hardest part of this would be finding new specs that fill a new role for the class, but still feel like that class.

For example, tying a demon hunter spec to a rogue or warlock would be too radical imo. It wouldn't feel like a new spec for that class, but just a new class welded awkwardly onto it.

By adding too many role options to every class, then there soon ceases to be any reason to choose aside from cosmetics and style.
    The entire point of classes is to be distinctive, to have strengths and weakness, where you actually have to choose.

Adding extra options for under-represented roles like tanks does nothing to solve any number issues there, because it has been done already.
    Two new classes, with two new tanks and same old issues keep rearing their ugly head.
    The reason is simple, a community problem.
    DPS still pulling with no consideration for letting a tank do their job, for expecting a healer to heal through otherwise avoidable damage rather than trying to take less.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    The hardest part of this would be finding new specs that fill a new role for the class, but still feel like that class.

For example, tying a demon hunter spec to a rogue or warlock would be too radical imo. It wouldn't feel like a new spec for that class, but just a new class welded awkwardly onto it.
    and thats only one of the many things why this will never work. Trying to force a demon hunter or necromancer(just 2 of the most obvious ones) into a spec is not the right way to go, and Blizzard knows this so I'm safe in the knowledge that they don't give a crap to most of the proposed 4th spec ideas =)

Warrior - A DPS spec that focuses on sustained damage and utility (not burst damage) and uses a sword and shield, looking back to the footmen and knights of older Warcraft. The tank stats on the shield would be adjusted in some way to be moderately beneficial to this spec, and possibly enough that tank gear on this spec would be acceptable (but not as good) as DPS gear, making this also a great offspec for protection warriors.

Paladin
    - A holy damage spec. Not necessarily ranged, but focused on holy damage and spellpower gear, and dealing holy damage over physical. This would make a very viable offspec for holy paladins and an interesting spec for paladins to play in general.

Death Knights
    - DPS blood spec.

Hunter - Melee spec. This would get a new skillset, and replace utility shots with ranged throwing attacks (concussive shot, etc).

Shaman - Tank spec. Earth themed and would focus on damage absorption shields. The strength from tanking shields would be adjusted to not be a complete loss for them.

Monk - Chi'ji spec focused on magical damage, possibly even ranged damage. It would use spellpower gear and mana and use a new stance. This would be an interesting new spec, complete the circle, and provide mistweaver monks with a viable offspec that shares gear. Perhaps a 'lorewalker' spec?

Druid - Already has one.

Rogue - I am thinking a ranged damage spec, and I want to take this time to suggest a new weapon type that potential future classes and hunters would use as well -- dual wielded one handed ranged weapons. Pistols, one handed cross bows, and potentially throwing weapons as well. Alternatively, they could make shuriken toss a spec in general and work that way, adjusting abilities to be used at range, and in turn reducing their mobility and/or defenses somewhat to make up for the new talents in ranged damage.

Mage - Your guess is as good as mine. Frostfire spec, or time manipulating damage specs seem ideal. A healing spec, however, wouldn't be my first choice. I heard someone suggest a time manipulating spec that indirectly healed and worked as one -- I guess that could work, maybe. We could also have battlemages that focus on physical damage, but that seems a little over the top and silly.

Priest - Holy damage spec.

Warlocks - Metamorphosis tanking spec. (Not a 'demon hunter' spec, as that's almost certainly going to be the new hero class.)

My two cents.

---------- Post added 2013-05-01 at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    and thats only one of the many things why this will never work. Trying to force a demon hunter or necromancer(just 2 of the most obvious ones) into a spec is not the right way to go, and Blizzard knows this so I'm safe in the knowledge that they don't give a crap to most of the proposed 4th spec ideas =)
    Actually, besides the mage class, I've found new specs that suit every class. Though I am sure people will critique the rogue and hunter changes, I still think they are a great fit.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2013-05-01 at 02:48 PM.

I love the Rogue ideas ITT, except for the field medic idea, don't want a healing spec tbh. If given a choice between a ranger type spec and a "swashbuckler" sword and buckler themed tank spec, I would take the ranger spec in an instant, though I think a tanking spec for rogues would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Rogue: Assassination and Subtlety retained as are, save that Subtlety is slightly reworked to ensure non-dagger weapons are always at least as good as dagger weapons. Combat re-worked to be a tanking spec. New DPS spec added to be ranged combat, with less capability for control, using ranged weapons.
    This sounds absolutely perfect!

One other point: I hear it come up now and then that rogues would make sense as Demon Hunters. What relationships do rogues have to DHs other than DHs dual weild glaives? Honest question. I don't see how they fit personally.

I don't think every class needs 4 specs. Heck, I don't think hunters need more than 2, to be honest - a pet themed and a weapon themed spec - survival is kinda... meh as implemented.

That being said, I could totally get behind the re-working of the DK to be akin to Druid.
    Blood for Tanking, Frost for Melee DPS, Unholy for Ranged DPS and Necromancy for Healing - let Unholy and Necromancy use Int plate. (Unholy would be reworked significantly to grant more ranged spells with a 'fist-weaving' (or Seal of Insight, might be better analogy) type of mana recovery mechanic.)

Shaman have needed an earth aspect since Beta. Just makes sense - could even have different options - typical sword and board, or go fully totemic with Tauren poles. Just make it happen.

Likewise with Warlocks - I agree with the sentiment 'just give them the damn tanking spec already and stop muddying up the waters with glyphs.'

I could get behind the Shockadin idea - though I'm less enthusiastic about it than others, but more uses for spell plate is better.

Monks, again, given the four aspects, should probably utilize Crane. Not that I see Crane as particularly 'ranged' and I hazard to guess that Blizzard didn't either, and hence why it wasn't used as such - but giving monks a second dps spec wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities.

Outside of that, I don't really think any other class really needs a 4th spec. Not everything has to be in balance (not, balanced against each other, but balanced in terms of specs) else every class would have four specs - tank, heals, ranged and melee dps. And that'd be a radical departure from not only Lore but Blizzards desire to keep things unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    I don't think every class needs 4 specs. Heck, I don't think hunters need more than 2, to be honest - a pet themed and a weapon themed spec - survival is kinda... meh as implemented.

That being said, I could totally get behind the re-working of the DK to be akin to Druid.
    Blood for Tanking, Frost for Melee DPS, Unholy for Ranged DPS and Necromancy for Healing - let Unholy and Necromancy use Int plate. (Unholy would be reworked significantly to grant more ranged spells with a 'fist-weaving' (or Seal of Insight, might be better analogy) type of mana recovery mechanic.)

Shaman have needed an earth aspect since Beta. Just makes sense - could even have different options - typical sword and board, or go fully totemic with Tauren poles. Just make it happen.

Likewise with Warlocks - I agree with the sentiment 'just give them the damn tanking spec already and stop muddying up the waters with glyphs.'

I could get behind the Shockadin idea - though I'm less enthusiastic about it than others, but more uses for spell plate is better.

Monks, again, given the four aspects, should probably utilize Crane. Not that I see Crane as particularly 'ranged' and I hazard to guess that Blizzard didn't either, and hence why it wasn't used as such - but giving monks a second dps spec wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities.

Outside of that, I don't really think any other class really needs a 4th spec. Not everything has to be in balance (not, balanced against each other, but balanced in terms of specs) else every class would have four specs - tank, heals, ranged and melee dps. And that'd be a radical departure from not only Lore but Blizzards desire to keep things unique.
    Maybe but there's more to this than simply providing additional specs, but viable offspecs for casters (and tanks, in protection's case) and providing things that existed in lore to finally appear ingame (again, using warrior protection as an example).

Potentially, not every spec needs a fourth, but it could work and it probably wouldn't hurt. A 4th spec idea would be great for an expansion where Blizzard did not want to add a new race or hero class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Maybe but there's more to this than simply providing additional specs, but viable offspecs for casters (and tanks, in protection's case) and providing things that existed in lore to finally appear ingame (again, using warrior protection as an example).

Potentially, not every spec needs a fourth, but it could work and it probably wouldn't hurt. A 4th spec idea would be great for an expansion where Blizzard did not want to add a new race or hero class.
    That is exactly where we are now. With the additions of Monks and Pandarens, the re-modeling of the original races, and Druids already having a 4th spec, now seems to be the perfect time to introduce 4th specs for all classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    That is exactly where we are now. With the additions of Monks and Pandarens, the re-modeling of the original races, and Druids already having a 4th spec, now seems to be the perfect time to introduce 4th specs for all classes.
    The next expansion will almost certainly feature Demon Hunter hero class. But frankly, I'd be happy to have 4th specs now anyways. It's up to Blizzard really.

The next expansion will almost certainly feature Demon Hunter hero class. But frankly, I'd be happy to have 4th specs now anyways. It's up to Blizzard really.
    We don't know anything about the next expansion. That's a pretty big claim based on that. It's also not guaranteed that the next expansion will feature a new class at all.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    We don't know anything about the next expansion. That's a pretty big claim based on that. It's also not guaranteed that the next expansion will feature a new class at all.
    • There are extreme implications that the next expansion will feature the Burning Legion. Wrathion literally mentions it directly in 5.3. There have been hints since WotLK, and pretty heavy ones in Cataclysm.
    • We're already exploring Illidan's story and showing that he wasn't as 'evil' as we thought.
    • Blizzard has outright said that they want to bring Illidan back as a protagonist and 'redeem' him.
    • Demon Hunter is the number one most desired class that hasn't already been implemented. (Just like Death Knights were, and then monks.)

Put together the pieces. It's not rocket science.

Deleted
    Essentials for me would be demon hunter (especially if its legion expac), Shaman earth guardian, Shockadin, Blood Mage and Warden. Don't care how they fit them in or to what class just as long as they happen and done right.

Also I think there is promising signs in GCs tweets, how they designed the monk class (they suspiciously left out the crane spec which would fit a ranged dps class perfect) and finally I think druids were a test to see if it would work well with the community. I really think this is a possibility.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Your post needs to be quoted so more people see it
    i agree

• There are extreme implications that the next expansion will feature the Burning Legion. Wrathion literally mentions it directly in 5.3. There have been hints since WotLK, and pretty heavy ones in Cataclysm.
    • We're already exploring Illidan's story and showing that he wasn't as 'evil' as we thought.
    • Blizzard has outright said that they want to bring Illidan back as a protagonist and 'redeem' him.
    • Demon Hunter is the number one most desired class that hasn't already been implemented. (Just like Death Knights were, and then monks.)

Put together the pieces. It's not rocket science.
    We have a few hints. Not solid evidence, especially none that it will be the next. It's not rocket science, but you're closer to astrology there.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    We have a few hints. Not solid evidence, especially none that it will be the next. It's not rocket science, but you're closer to astrology there.
    Surely by now you've found that Blizzard is not very subtle. If they are giving hints, especially ones as direct as they are, they are going to do something. It's not 100% certainty, but I'd say there's an 80-90% chance what I am saying will come true in this case. There's writing on the wall, but you don't have to read it if you don't want to. Either way, we are digressing from the thread over something relatively petty. Blizzard will confirm (or deny) this on Blizzcon.

Deleted
    Having plate int gear only for a spec is a bit dumb.
    It would be nice to see a DPS caster spec for paladins and a healer/DPS caster spec for Dks