Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think too many people quit. After all ToT is/was a pretty cool raid. Even though besidse raiding there's not much interesting to doo....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heresy View Post
    You do play on EU-Outland though, which is arguably the most populated EU server.

You should check out Hakkar or Sporeggar in prime time. Or any of the other low population servers.
    I ment in general EU.
    Just look at the Realmlist, In cataclysm around this time only Outland had ever status Full/locked.

We are now in Mists of Pandaria, and now we have 10 Full/locked.
    That is 10x as much, Subs might drop still but WoW is alot more active atm then it was in cata.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    I have a dream. One big dynamic server that would expand depending on the number of players, like the towns grow and everything. Maybe sometime in the future a game will have that.
    Player housing and other real player additions to Azeroth have been heavily discussed over the years and its been proven loud and clear that its completley impossible to do this.

The reason being that Wow has a VERY old game with a very old game engine and this cannot be redesigned to allow for this. All of the servers r programmed in such a way that the Wow engine cannot in any way work dynamically with the servers which means any changes to Azeroth (therefore the servers) wont work. Im no programmer but the raeson is something like this and its been proven time and again by techies who know this kinda stuff...

The only way to do anything like this is to release Wow2 fully redesigned and open new servers for the new game.

It is however possible to instance housing etc which is what Blizzard are already doing with other aspects of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I ment in general EU.
    Just look at the Realmlist, In cataclysm around this time only Outland had ever status Full/locked.

That is 10x as much, Subs might drop still but WoW is alot more active atm then it was in cata.
    I'm not denying the fact that there are more people on the full population servers, but it's because people on the low population servers are moving away because of there only being 1-3 active raid guilds on their server.

http://wow.realmpop.com/eu.html

If you look at this page (okay, it's not 100% accurate, but it's as accurate as we can get cause of it checking the AH data + guild data every 10-12 days.)

EU-Outland has reported 206k characters. If we merge all the 13-14 lowest pop servers, we end up with one server with 196-217k characters. So about same as EU-Outland.

The low pop servers really need some love, because they are dying out.
    Last edited by Heresy; 2013-04-28 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typos

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heresy View Post
    I'm not denying the fact that there are more people on the full population servers, but it's because people on the low population servers are moving away because of there only being 1-3 active raid guilds on their server.

http://wow.realmpop.com/eu.html

If you look at this page (okay, it's not 100% accurate, but it's as accurate as we can get cause of it checking the AH data + guild data every 10-12 days.)

EU-Outland has reported 206k characters. If we merge all the 13-14 lowest pop servers, we end up with one server with 196-217k characters. So about same as EU-Outland.

The low pop servers really need some love, because they are dying out.
    Well x-realm them all togheter and make 1 AH with the new x-realm future that they are making, then we got it fixed =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

My guesstimate is 500k+ sub loss.

Deleted
    I ment in general EU.

Thats cos all of the Wow refugees r xferring to your realm! lol

I played on Draenor EU and our population went up significantly during Cata, but u soon realised the vast majority of 'new' players were all xferred from other realms. Trade chat was full of new guilds with stories of leaving bad realms to come to our busier realm. Outland must be exactly the same.

Whats sad is those of us on Draenor built up the realm to keep it fun and cool and a whole load of strangers turned up within a few months and suddenly we didnt even recognise our own realm The community changed and suffered from its own issues of so many 'top' players from all over EU.

All of these 'new' players to your realm are not new subs they have simply xferred.
    Last edited by mmoc978ad45763; 2013-04-28 at 01:09 PM.

Well x-realm them all togheter and make 1 AH with the new x-realm future that they are making, then we got it fixed =P
    Once they include x-realm guilds, x-realm AH's etc etc then yeah, that could be a solution.

It's quite interesting to look further into the stats on this page though, f.ex EU-Outland has 40336 characters level 86-90, and EU-Hakkar has 362.

I do hope they manage to find a good solution, without having to merge servers, because of the aforementioned problems that might appear with people throwing a fit when they lose their char name they had for the previous 5-8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Player housing and other real player additions to Azeroth have been heavily discussed over the years and its been proven loud and clear that its completley impossible to do this.

The reason being that Wow has a VERY old game with a very old game engine and this cannot be redesigned to allow for this. All of the servers r programmed in such a way that the Wow engine cannot in any way work dynamically with the servers which means any changes to Azeroth (therefore the servers) wont work. Im no programmer but the raeson is something like this and its been proven time and again by techies who know this kinda stuff...

The only way to do anything like this is to release Wow2 fully redesigned and open new servers for the new game.

It is however possible to instance housing etc which is what Blizzard are already doing with other aspects of the game.
    Thats kinda why I said "Maybe sometime in the future a game will have that."
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Deleted
    I think ToT will increase player retention quite a bit. Seems like most people are very happy with it. Id imagine the bad luck protection on rolls will help keep people since they wont get angry and ragequit!

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    My prediction? Everyone will make a big deal out of it for no apparent reason.
    This pretty much sums it up.

Since when did a company's quarterly earnings call become a statement of how good/bad a video game is doing? There are days where I wish the lack of knowledge that the internet provides us access to were back. Back when you picked up a video game on the recommendation of a friend, and played it cause it was FUN.

Are you having fun? If yes, continue! If no, submit feedback through proper methods and channels on what you don't find fun, or seek entertainment elsewhere.

Nobody is making you play WoW. If you don't like the game, go elsewhere. If you do, what does it matter?
    Last edited by ZeroEdgeir; 2013-04-28 at 01:15 PM.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Nobody is making you play WoW. If you don't like the game, go elsewhere. If you do, what does it matter?
    If u bothered to read the threead then u would see some people have invested in shares and therefore r obviously interested. And also if u bothered reading this thread u would see that there is very little flaming or hostile bullcrap. Its a serious discussion which is nice to see for a change on Wow forums

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care much because...

If WoW loses 1 mill subscribers, people will claim that WoW is dead.
    If WoW loses 100k subscribers, people will claim that WoW is dead.
    If WoW loses 10k subscribers, people will claim that WoW is dead.
    If WoW gains any subscribers, people will claim its a statistical anomaly and that WoW is Dead.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I don't really care and I'm curious as to why others do?

I consume Blizz's product, thats the sum total of my relatioship with them. I don't follow Audi's results and obsess over their sales figures because I drive one.
    I'm interested in them similarly to how I'm interested in any numbers related to the game, because those affect the development and the design of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    Thats kinda why I said "Maybe sometime in the future a game will have that."
    And my point is that its impossible therefore it cannot be done in the future... they would have to create a new game and call it Wow2 if they wanted to do this. And lets face it, thats not gonna happen cos its too expensive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Googolplex View Post
    I don't care much because...

If WoW loses 1 mill subscribers, people will claim that WoW is dead.
    If WoW loses 100k subscribers, people will claim that WoW is dead.
    If WoW loses 10k subscribers, people will claim that WoW is dead.
    If WoW gains any subscribers, people will claim its a statistical anomaly and that WoW is Dead.
    Doesn't matter what people say, this is not interesting in the slightest. Who cares what someone on the internet says, learn to get a thicker shell, will server you well. I speak from much experience.

What is interesting is the figures they present. How and if they are skewed and how the overall state of Wow seems to be as a result to the general public.
    I would predict a drop but nothing that will fall into the *danger zone* Blizzard have mapped out - when this is breached, then we might see some emergency measures such as lower sub fee, free x or y (transfers, changes) for short period of time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    Wow could gain a million sub's and people will cry about how wow is dead and dying... Most of the time you can't fix stupidity.
    Those million gained probably log in once a day to do pet battles. Is that money for them? Yes. Does it make the game any better? No. The game itself is worse now than it has been for quite awhile. Throne of Thunder was an awesome tier but everything surrounding it is just awful. I definitely see a subscription loss though.
    "If I recall correctly I just posted that this topic is not to be discussed any further." -Ensidia Fanclub Founder

10+ Year Old Account
    A 40+ page thread of pointless bickering is my guess.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    People also loved to scream wow has X million more players than any other game. Lets not forget they care about the numbers too
    This is true. There are people who just like to jump on bandwagons and as LOL is the new bandwagon I expect wow to constantly lose subs unless they change the game by a lot and somehow attract a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Doesn't take a genius to predict sub changes for a game that's 8 years old.

Too bad an inevitable stage in any popular products popularity is used as a way of strengthening negative opinion that can be as diverse as the playerbase.
    You see it in every damn thread as subs have gone down. "It was due to x! -No it was due to y! -Guys, it was obviously z. -You're all wrong, it's because of Hello Kitty."

Is Apple as a company failing because the iPhone isn't the behemoth it once was? When Samsung at some point will stop increasing in the global market, are the Galaxy smartphones dying?

So sick and tired of this mentality that WoW subs has to go up by half a million every quarter, or else it's obviously doing something wrong. The biggest factor in WoWs declining subs is its age. That's it. Cliché. Hard to prove. Yet that's simply it. How many new players have you met recently? How large can the potential "new player" base be after this long? Up until Cataclysm, the game was still new enough (not to mention unchallenged by other MMOs) to attract way more new players than players quitting. Eventually those will equalize, then players quitting the game will be higher than the new players coming in.

And I'm certain there are people reading this post thinking things like "PvP is an unbalanced mess, that's why!" or "I don't like ToT/the latest raid, obviously no one else does." or even "I STILL HAVE TO DO DAILIES/MONOTONOUS TASKS NOW AND THEN?!"

None of which are anything unique to MoP.
    The previous expansion has to be good for the game to gain subs. I hear a lot of stuff like "mmo genre is dead", "the new gamers don't want to put effort into games" and neither of these are true to be honest. I have a ton of friends that started playing the game mid cataclysm.

And ofc mop subs will probably not go up, because cataclysm sucked.

Its a cycle :

Vanilla was great, so tbc became successfull.
    Tbc was even better, wotlk became the peak of the game.
    Wotlk was also pretty awesome. So cata started strong.
    Cata then somehow managed to destroy the game, so mop had a disappointing start compared to other expansions.

It is not because the game is old, it is not because people prefer playing farmville over wow. It all comes down to how good the previous expansion was.
    Last edited by Rorschachs; 2013-04-28 at 02:03 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschachs View Post
    I expect wow to constantly lose subs unless they change the game by a lot and somehow attract a lot of people.
    They have and will continue to do so. The best thing this game has going at the moment is Pet Battles. Next thing you know LFR will consist of roller coaster rides around raid bosses with loot pinatas at the end.
    "If I recall correctly I just posted that this topic is not to be discussed any further." -Ensidia Fanclub Founder