Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I think the problem with some crafting professions is the Spirit of Harmony barrier. Needing to either get enough motes to buy a recipe or burn tons of mats hoping to get a skillup is rather frustrating.

I think it would be easier if that gateway was made less inconvenient.

What is it that you want? Being able to get to 600 in a profession within the hour? I prefer it to be a challenge and that feel more rewarding when you reach your goal.
    Whenever i level up a profession i plan ahead, i look up all the mats i need for the prof before i start to see what i got available on AH. Then i proceed if possible to get the missing materials myself.

What you are experiencing with leatherworking isn't because leatherworking is "broken" it is because skinning is an unappealing profession for most people who know something about the game. You get more gold per hour by farming ore or herbs, and there is a higher demand for the other materials, rather then leather. Also the bonus from skinning isn't all that good either.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackslix View Post
    Hello I just started lvlning my leatherworking on a not so populated realm, which means I can't just go to the AH and buy out all of the mats I need in order to level my proffesion fast.
    No blizzard wants you to go out and play their game for countless hours playing like a bot. It has become really really to absurd and really not fun at all.
    I have spent countless of hours to grind my leatherworking up to 300 out of 600 and when I got to 300 I quit because it is simply way too lame.
    Fix this blizzard. Seriously this is one of the reasons ppl are quiting this game.

You don't need to grind like a bot. I grinded my shaman's leatherworking from 1-600 in a couple days farming my own leather and it wasn't that bad at all. Couple hours farming each set of leather. Granted 1-300 is a little bit rough, but it's not that bad and gets drastically easier as you get higher in Leatherworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaxe View Post
    I think the problem with some crafting professions is the Spirit of Harmony barrier. Needing to either get enough motes to buy a recipe or burn tons of mats hoping to get a skillup is rather frustrating.

I think it would be easier if that gateway was made less inconvenient.
    There is no "barrier. Pretty much every profession only requires 1 Spirit of Harmony to hit max level and that's just to buy a pattern. If you "require" more than that you are doing it wrong. Read guides like this: www.wow-professions.com -- Do research and find the most efficient route. Googling isn't hard. The only profession I can think of that requires more than one would be engineering and possibly Inscription.

Deleted
    Hard? No. Cost/time-inefficient? Yes.

ive leveled lw 4 times since mop and it really doesn't seem to bother me. i quickly leveled skinning to 600 within a couple of hours and then used wow-professions to help me farm the leathers i needed quickly. it doesn't take too long :3

Some professions are easier to level than others... if you wanted to level a profession fast, you shouldn't be doing leatherworking. Alchemy or inscription would be more up your alley.

I just leveled 1-600 LW and it is completely broken when compared to other professions. The amount of materials you need at some of the sub 300 levels are absurd. Having to kill 20 mobs for 1 skill up is no where near in line with picking a flower or 2.

Most of the sub 300 recipes need to have their material reqs cut in half, or there needs to be a lot more multi skill recipes.

Not really true, and you don't *need* professions, that being said they can be a big help and leatherworking is one of the best - free wrist enchants and some leg enchants (save a ton of cash), you shouldn't expect it to be easy to level up. That being said, just hit up the AH for a bit, if I wanna lvl up a profession, I'll scan the AH for deals for about 2 weeks before I do so so I can get enough mats to get up to max rank in like 2 hours.

Alchemy is a very easy one to lvl up and the extra long flasks are definitely convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    Could use some tweaking. I hit a wall lvling tailoring, need an absurd amount of silk cloth.
    I agree, but then again, you can farm all the silk cloth you need in about an hour in the Eastern Plaugelands.

Now Blacksmithing and Engineering, I think was a pain, because you hit that brick wall of Fel Iron and Adaminite. The AH is usually empty and if it's not it's massively over priced. Seems like they could double\triple the outlands spawn rate. You can farm all the ore you need at every level until you get to outlands and then there are time you can fly around for an hour and only find 3-5 nodes.

I do believe I did read that LW was the next on the list for a revamp. don't think it's going to make 5.3 though
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-04-27 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple057 View Post
    I have to agree since I just leveled a second tailor since wrath and 1200 frost weave is insane
    Those maybe ~two hours of farming ? I wouldn't really call that insane.
    Personally I think it's actually fine as you don't necessarily need professions per se. The bonus is rather small so committing some time to get them doesn't seem that bad especially when there are also quite easy to skill professions available.

Absolutely dreadful, these things taking time, I tell you.

Dreadful.

Not wanting to sound like an asshat, but get over yourself and either go grind the mats or buy from the AH when available. Not everything is supposed to be easy, but there are plenty of options to level your professions. Plus go use a website like wow-professions.com if you don't know where to grind mats. They also have a guide on the "easiest" and most efficient way to level each profession. Not everything in the game needs to be handed to you on a silver platter, its going to take more than a couple hours to grind out some of the professions.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Those maybe ~two hours of farming ? I wouldn't really call that insane.
    Personally I think it's actually fine as you don't necessarily need professions per se. The bonus is rather small so committing some time to get them doesn't seem that bad especially when there are also quite easy to skill professions available.
    Yea 2 hours mabey if your not affected with Crz there is always 3-5 people taking converted heros in icecrown
    Nixs

Quote Originally Posted by Seedog View Post
    Not wanting to sound like an asshat, but get over yourself and either go grind the mats or buy from the AH when available. Not everything is supposed to be easy,
    But you can't really say that. Ore, Herbs, Cloth is extremely easy to get in the newer content (Wrath and above). Leveling a profession is extremely easy in the newer content. Not to mention the new content doesn't make you compete via CRZ. So how can one really say "tailoring isn't suppose to be easy", when they shower you with cloth in pandaria ? I had both my Herber\miners to 600 just running in circles in Valley of the 4 Winds and they were both 85\86s at the time.

If Blizzard wants to make something difficult that's fine, if they do it all the way through. But leaving something difficult, for the sake of making it a pain in the ass to a certain level is slightly on the lazy side. It really can't be that hard to have LWing, tailoring and some others give +3 to +5 skillups for the lower level patterns.

I will say all this talk makes me want to go level LWing to see what it's like.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple057 View Post
    Yea 2 hours mabey if your not affected with Crz there is always 3-5 people taking converted heros in icecrown
    If you have a Deathknight or other geared capable class, I did a few runs of normal Pit of Saron for Cloth. A real money maker is the Plague wing of NAXX, where you go through and kill the Bats and worms (the area after noth the Plague bringer). They normally gave 50-80 cloth, you can do that 5 times an hour. Along with the greens and other junk it's a fairly profitable grind
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-04-27 at 04:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leatherworking in particular could use a revamp, or skinning could. The amount of mats necessary to level LW is more or less in line with the other professions, but it takes considerably more work to gather them. One mine or herb node gives up to 5-6 ores/herbs, and you don't have to spend time killing it first. Skinnable mobs give one piece of leather, maybe two, AND you have to spend time killing the mob first. As it is now, if you do all the gathering yourself, LW takes 3-4 times longer than any other profession. It needs a tweak to bring it in line, especially at the lower levels.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Could use some tweaking. I hit a wall lvling tailoring, need an absurd amount of silk cloth.
    Then go back to areas with humanoids around level 30~40 (I think that's the level range where they drop silk cloth... could be mistaken) and hit them in the head until you get the cloth you need. You could also ask your guild if anyone has any silk to lend you.

Even if you're not level 90 yet, it is still a profitable way to do it. Because during your grinding you'll find many trash items and likely to find magic/rare gear that will vendor sell for a nice amount of gold.

So you will be making gold while grinding for cloth, so you can gather some silk this way, and use the cash you got to buy more from the AH. You can also ask in General chat in said area for players willing to give/sell some cloth to you. And if you're 90... you could just solo dungeons to get the cloth you need.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    Leatherworking in particular could use a revamp, or skinning could. The amount of mats necessary to level LW is more or less in line with the other professions, but it takes considerably more work to gather them. One mine or herb node gives up to 5-6 ores/herbs, and you don't have to spend time killing it first. Skinnable mobs give one piece of leather, maybe two, AND you have to spend time killing the mob first. As it is now, if you do all the gathering yourself, LW takes 3-4 times longer than any other profession. It needs a tweak to bring it in line, especially at the lower levels.

But the thing is LW gives you both leather armor and mail

10+ Year Old Account
    I just leveled this on another Priest alt of mine, and the Silk requirement is incredibly silly. You can crunch Mageweave into cloth at that point, but you STILL cannot use it. Still need silk, even though none of the instances you'll be sorted into if you're the right level at the time will give you silk.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    I have levelled Leatherworking on my Monk and it was a PAIN to do so. I'm playing on a popular realm ,though more Alliance sided, I still managed to get A LOT of mats for Leatherworking, but they were EXTREMELY expensive. In total I have spent 16k on LW, while I only spent about 8k on lvling engineering.
    This is how I level leatherworking on my monk: I kept leveling skinning and leatherworking both as I leveled. The moment I hit a 'bump' where I hadn't gathered enough, say, Hard Leather, before the mobs started giving Thick Leather, I would check AH. Not enough Hard Leather in the AH, or too expensive, I'd just Leatherworking linger behind while I leveled, but I still kept leveling skinning. I'd skin every skinnable monster I'd come across, and holding onto said leather in my bank. The moment I hit Burning Crusade, I'd go back, check AH again to see if prices have dropped. If they did, cool, I'd buy leather. If not, I'd just go back to the previous zones to farm the leather I needed. Doesn't take too long.

---------- Post added 2013-04-27 at 06:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LeBacchus View Post
    But the thing is LW gives you both leather armor and mail
    And? Blacksmithing gives me both a huge assortment of weapons AND plate armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackslix View Post
    Stop crying you say???? So what you're saying is that you find it entertaining to Kill the same mob 800 times to level 30 skills in 1 proffesion.. sad life really.
    You're exaggerating hugely, come now. No need to resort to hyperbole to make an incorrect point.