Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Pretty sure they talked about tweaking professions in a way like they did cooking this expansion. Also how they are making it where you can level mining from 1-600 on Pandaria in a future patch.

Honestly? Too bad. Sick of everything in this game being catered for the sake of convenience, can we still put effort into things outside of raiding please?

It should probably be re-worked, but it should still take a while imo.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2013-04-27 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallikiddd View Post
    i wish theyd take the level reqs off so i dont have to get to 80 to max shit out.

It was nice when you only had to get to 35 to max things out. With the addition of the profession buffs at higher lvls that went out the window though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The worst part of professions anymore is that it's near impossible to keep up while you level. That bugs me a lot

With help from a site like http://www.wow-professions.com/ it takes no time at all for any of them. Work smart and it is done quickly and cheaply.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    This is true only if the case is "doing the same boring thing over and over for two hours".

If the recipes required me to farm leather here for half an hour, then farm some diff kind of leather in another place and then travel elsewhere to buy a special kind of thread to sew them, I would enjoy it. Mindless farming of the same mobs over and over is not fun though, not at all.
    You're farming in the wrong places then. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    If you farm the necessary leather and level LW up in two hours you really should fill us all in on your secrets instead of dropping in random asinine comments.
    You misunderstood. My point was that going form 1-600 is not intended to be something you just sit down to do during commercials of a couple Gossip Girl episodes. It's intended to take time and/or money.

But do you really know my secret? Fine. Google.com and AOE loot. For any leather that was scarce on the auction house, I grabbed my skinning alt (not the same toon as my aspiring leatherworker), googled the leather I needed, found an instances or other easily farmed area and went to business. I cleared my bags and charged through a few instances, pulling as much as I could with my admitted class and race specific run speed buffs, then used AOEs, specifically AOE that leaves dots to bypass AOE cap, to bring them all down. Loots, spend a few minuts skinning. Go outside, mount up (or use in-instance vendor in one case) to sell garbage. Reset and re-enter. Maybe a half hour process for a single type of leather. And half an hour for 75 skill points isn't bad.

If you think leather takes forever to farm then you're not farming in the right areas. Take 5 minutes and do some research and make a plan and you can save yourself all those agonizing hours of bot-like farming.

---------- Post added 2013-04-27 at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    The worst part of professions anymore is that it's near impossible to keep up while you level. That bugs me a lot
    So take off the heirlooms and other leveling buffs. Or just stick around in those areas to keep leveling your professions. If your complaint is that leveling professions is too slow then I disagree, since gathering professions are trivial to level and with crafting professions there's no need to "keep up" with your leveling; your mats will be just as good for leveling your profession once you're 90. If your complaining is that leveling (your character) is too fast, then that's just stupid, as you have 100% over how much you want to slow your own leveling down.

---------- Post added 2013-04-27 at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Professions need rebalancing BADLY (Didn't intend the "Gauntlet"-reference :P ), most of the items the professions craft are extremely weak for their required character level (So no real demand on AH and little benefit for levelling profession as you level your character), and there are patches that are way more difficult than others to level through, with recipes requiring rare mats or lots of cheap stuff, having a profession should give some advantage beyond the passive stat bonuses we get now, the fact those bonuses were added in the first place shows that the products from the professions are too weak to bother with...
    Like what kind of advantage? Do you even have any ideas? ANd I hope you'll also note that making profession gear stronger would only serve to make PVE and quest gear less rewarding at all levels.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post

But do you really know my secret? Fine. Google.com and AOE loot. For any leather that was scarce on the auction house, I grabbed my skinning alt (not the same toon as my aspiring leatherworker), googled the leather I needed, found an instances or other easily farmed area and went to business. I cleared my bags and charged through a few instances, pulling as much as I could with my admitted class and race specific run speed buffs, then used AOEs, specifically AOE that leaves dots to bypass AOE cap, to bring them all down. Loots, spend a few minuts skinning. Go outside, mount up (or use in-instance vendor in one case) to sell garbage. Reset and re-enter. Maybe a half hour process for a single type of leather. And half an hour for 75 skill points isn't bad.
    So what you saying is out level the content by a high enough margin so you can solo the instance which drops the relevant leather and it's all good? Yeah, didn't realise it before but it makes perfect sense to level up a profession a level far beyond when you will derive any practical use from the fruit of your labors. I can guarantee that LW will be among the next professions to get streamlined; it's too much hassle to level up in comparison with the majority of the others and all the AoE instance looting in the world isn't going to change that one bit.

There should be time investments in the game. I'm sure if they nerfed the amount of time it took to level a profession, people would just complain anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the most useful things to do with alts is parse out the professions in such a way so as to be able to make any damn thing in the game that you might need. I've thought about it from time to time but would prefer Blizzard would go the other way and just let us have an unrestricted number of professions per character.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Don't talk about how long it takes to level professions if you didn't have to farm Clefthoof leather for weeks in order to cap LW in BC....WORST TIME OF MY LIFE!! Someone had to make the damn drums though!

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post

Folks seem to forget that the intent of professions. You're supposed to pick a pair @ level 10, and level them up with your character. That's why zones have the drops they do, that coincide generally with about how far along you should be in your given professions. Same goes for fishing to an extent.
    well, if you insist on leveling professions with your toon then it would severely slow down the leveling process.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Having recently leveled leatherworking myself, i have to agree with that 1-300 is torture.
    Really, most items require either 5+ leathers or some low droprate material like turtle scales or scorpid scales.

So you level too fast to keep your professions up while leveling, and this is a problem how? If you need to farm things, doing it while you can fly in azeroth makes it a ton faster, let alone if you are at 90 already and need to farm mobs for cloth/leather/etc. Leveling either gathering or production professions is a joke now compared to earlier expansions, even though they max at 600 now and not 300 per se as in BC. MMO's used to be a grind to do almost anything, quit whining because you can't have it right now because you want it right now. wah wah cry me a river, then build a bridge and get over it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackslix View Post
    Hello I just started lvlning my leatherworking on a not so populated realm, which means I can't just go to the AH and buy out all of the mats I need in order to level my proffesion fast.
    No blizzard wants you to go out and play their game for countless hours playing like a bot. It has become really really to absurd and really not fun at all.
    I have spent countless of hours to grind my leatherworking up to 300 out of 600 and when I got to 300 I quit because it is simply way too lame.
    Fix this blizzard. Seriously this is one of the reasons ppl are quiting this game.
    Doesn't take me long to level my profession nor is it frustrating. Maybe the problem is you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    It was nice when you only had to get to 35 to max things out. With the addition of the profession buffs at higher lvls that went out the window though.
    No it doesn't, they applied it as a band-aid fix against twinks. There are other ways as just simply do not apply next step in stat bonus till you have higher level. They did that with Alchemy, with special flask that scales based on your level (instead of profession level). Though I doubt they will bother fixing rest.

I do agree that LW is terrible. Hardest way to get materials, skins costing way more than herbs/ore/cloth while often requiring more of them. And profession itself don't have any special perk. Tailors got bags/mounts/pets and extra cloth drops. Enchanters can DE stuff for more gold than vendor + some pets. BS got most customizable bonus and weapons for transmog etc. etc. What LW got? Heavy leather ball? Last time they got something special was Drums back in BC. This profession badly needs 'something' beside craft gear.

This problem plagues the entire game, not just professions. The problem is that Blizzard keeps increasing experience ceilings without increasing the rate at which you can progress towards these ceilings. They try to patch over this by adding bonuses to items and buffs such as heirlooms and guild perks. The mathematics done for these bonuses are completely off if their intention was to normalize experience gains. For example, heirlooms have a total experience bonus of 50%. If their intention was to reduce the time investment of leveling from 1 to 90 to the same time investment as leveling from 1 to 60 in Classic WoW, they goofed. The flawed logic stems from the fact that each level's experience to time ratio (experience gain / time investment) is NOT 100% of another level's experience to time ratio. The only way to fix it is to take each level into perspective and add or subtract experience gains where needed (something they haven't done a very good job at).
    Last edited by Phasma; 2013-04-27 at 11:04 PM.

More importantly: crafting professions have never been so bland and derivative. When the hell are they going to update them to make them more interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Trackslix View Post
    Stop crying you say???? So what you're saying is that you find it entertaining to Kill the same mob 800 times to level 30 skills in 1 proffesion.. sad life really.
    What's sad is how incapable today's players are of completing ANY task in game. Think it's hard now, creampuff? Trying doing it back in Vanilla when you were same level as the mobs you're farming.

Aren't you a lvl 90 / near-max level, farming lvl 50/60-something mobs? Maybe try to pull a bunch and AoE them down? (even Physical DPS classes have some AoE ability)

C'mon, man - buck up ... you're complaining about farming mobs that are 20-30 levels lower than you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    Could use some tweaking. I hit a wall lvling tailoring, need an absurd amount of silk cloth.
    Ok, honestly, how is getting silk cloth hard? Go to Scarlet Monastery or something, pull the entire instance, aoe mobs down and you got a ton of cloth in a matter of minutes.

Oh, and yeah, no, it shouldn't be easier to level professions. You can level a profession in a day even without the AH. So stop complaining and get out there and grind.
    Last edited by vep; 2013-04-27 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabb1t View Post
    What's sad is how incapable today's players are of completing ANY task in game. Think it's hard now, creampuff? Trying doing it back in Vanilla when you were same level as the mobs you're farming.

Aren't you a lvl 90 / near-max level, farming lvl 50/60-something mobs? Maybe try to pull a bunch and AoE them down? (even Physical DPS classes have some AoE ability)

C'mon, man - buck up ... you're complaining about farming mobs that are 20-30 levels lower than you.
    Classic WoW was far from perfect...

---------- Post added 2013-04-27 at 07:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Ok, honestly, how is getting silk cloth hard? Go to Scarlet Monastery or something, pull the entire instance, aoe mobs down and you got a ton of cloth in a matter of minutes.

Oh, and yeah, no, it shouldn't be easier to level professions. You can level a profession in a day even without the AH. So stop complaining and get out there and grind.
    So, according to you, every profession has the same exact time investment leveling from 1-600? Hey, it's the same logic Blizzard has. Must be right.