Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Would you be cool with a "Peace" expansion?

Would you be cool with, for example, after MoP or the next expansion, there is an expansion where both factions focus on rebuilding what was lost and regaining vitality, Trying to regain all their forces lost in all the campaigns up , with quests focusing on helping rebuild and not helping destroy. An expansion targeted at guys who play druids and other similar hippies for example.

We could have the Horde and Alliance searching for allies, the Horde maybe befriending tribes of ogres and helping them, while Alliance maybe reconnects with Kul Tiras and tries to solve their problems in return.

An expansion where everything seems brighter and at first it seems there is no apparent enemy to be seen anywhere (actually, there is no clue for any danger brewing, except maybe a raid dealing with the latest minor Zandalari threat, maybe even finishing this long-beaten horse for good on it's own land)
    An expansion that focuses on the way that both factions lick their wounds from wars past until... a real hidden enemy strikes. No PTR, no leaks, no anything.
    Everything will be veiled untill one morning you wake up, log into WoW and see fire raining on top of your head and you being forced to fight for your life against infernals wich just picked the right moment to use your head as a landing pad into azeroth. A well calculated event to burst out of nothing without a warning.

It allways bugged me how everything now is known months in advance before being released. Won't it be cool to have something surprising once in a while?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If an expansion is focused on such things, seems like very little content for players
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    If an expansion is focused on such things, seems like very little content for players
    Indeed, there is a little problem with that at first, at least untill the trap springs up.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    if every blue moon they planted 95 elite world boss outside org/stormwind (killing the pvp heros). they could force flag everyone on a pvp server (no safe zones period) and lower the guard lvl to 80.
    You cared enough to post.

I believe the title of this game is World of Warcraft. Not World of Peacecraft

zing!

10+ Year Old Account
    It allways bugged me how everything now is known months in advance before being released. Won't it be cool to have something surprising once in a while?
    I would love more things like that, the only thing i can think of that actually was a surprise was the undead plague which just randomly started gathering pace one day with no warning :P But people complained so they will never do it again -.-'

I see no purpose or fun in the current Horde vs Alliance storyline anyway, so sure!

10+ Year Old Account
    98% of everything we do in this game involves or straight up revolves around killing things. A lot of things. We kind of need war and conflict.

Do we need another Alliance vs Horde faction war, though? I'd rather not. I think Cata and MoP have shown us that WoW is too static and dependent on game mechanics/the status quo to do it justice IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I would love more things like that, the only thing i can think of that actually was a surprise was the undead plague which just randomly started gathering pace one day with no warning :P But people complained so they will never do it again -.-'
    plus there would be datamined stuff and lots of glitches if it weren't tested enough

I'd be ok with a focused on a common foe such as the legion, not so sure I'd be up for a warcraft version of simcity though.
    We have felled demon commanders, cowed the master of death, conquered Old Gods, and stopped the Aspect of Death from destroying the very planet. Now, we need to kill this dude who managed to enslave pudding eating panda's, slobbering sauroks, and hilariously inept hozen. Awesome. Really epic.

A "peace" expansion would not work for a game like WoW.

Inb4 "Hur hur this is a peace expansion with pokemon and pandas". This is what a bigot would say.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

How about an expansion where all races can choose a faction. Almost seems like it is coming to that...

The war was a dead end. No faction can win.

If they want to continue the faction war they need to give reasons for everyone to keep fighting. They can't just base the war on a few races going at it. Otherwise it's just, "Hey, I'm fighting someone else's war just cause I like fighting and stuff."

If we do see a Legion expansion, this will probably be what we see.

Neither faction wants to fight a war on two fronts, so I doubt the Alliance would want to deal with the Legion and the Horde. Moreover, since both Horde and Alliance are fighting for the survival of Azeroth, and since we're kind of "working together" to remove Garrosh from power, I think the stage is set for both factions to focus their efforts on the bigger threat before we go back to slaughtering each other.

wrath was a 'peace' expansion and that's way too clear in my mind, seems like yesterday. so no, i think wow needs the adversity between the horde and alliance to be a constant factor.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a game where death is cheap, temporary and meaningless, surprise events such as you propose wouldn't work out well. Witness the people in the last expansion that couldn't wait to be killed by Deathwing so they could get the achievement.

Conflict is the core of the game so peace isn't an option. As my good friend and colleague Zaelsino said the whole point of the game is to log on and kill things. Although with that said, I wouldn't mind a year or so of relative quiet with Alliance/Horde politics.

MMO's with patch cycles like this one--even greatly accelerated as MoP has been--aren't the greatest way to tell a complicated story.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I would buy that expansion and see for myself how well they pulled it off.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Don't read spoilers or play the PTR

Meh, we've had two expansions now of 'adversity' between the alliance and horde, and as pointed out without lasting effects it's been pretty meaningless overall. Also I would hardly have called wrath a peaces expansion. That one got pretty bloody.
    We have felled demon commanders, cowed the master of death, conquered Old Gods, and stopped the Aspect of Death from destroying the very planet. Now, we need to kill this dude who managed to enslave pudding eating panda's, slobbering sauroks, and hilariously inept hozen. Awesome. Really epic.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    with a peace expansion... how would PvP zones/battlegrounds work??