Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Just went to the gym after 7 years

Hey guys.

Okay so here's the deal. I've been playing soccer from my 5th until my 16th, then I quit due to working in a restaurant and I was missing nearly every training/game so no point staying. I had the plan to go to the gym to maintain my condition. My condition was quite awesome, our training also looked like a bootcamp sometimes. I could pretty much run for an hour and a half with no issues.

So now, in 11 days I'm turning 23. Haven't touched the gym or any kind of sports since then. My own fault, I know.

I want to join the Dutch Royal Marechaussee, which basically is the military police. One reason is the challenge, the other being that I HAVE to go to the gym or I can't do what I want to do. Today I went for the first time and I'm really dissapointed, I expected it to be shit but did I really have to stop running after 1.8 km because I nearly fainted? I'm not fat, it's not like I roll out of bed, straight downstairs and roll to work or anything but I certainly can lose some kg. I'm 1.72 high and weigh about 78 or 80 kg. Way too much, I know. The gym is going to give me advice next friday, he said we would work so I would reach 'cluster 4', basically it's way higher than what's required. It's the condition you need to join the army here.

How the hell do I start off? So today I ran a few minutes in the gym and had to stop at 1.8 km because I just couldn't anymore. I then proceeded to an matrix ascent trainer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy4VJbHtPag). Not sure if it's the right name for this thing.

I've done that for 25 minutes and then the gym was going to close so I had to stop, I could have held on to it for another 15 or so. I was doing it at between 9.5 - 10.5 km/h.

Is this the right way to go? I figured running was no use if I had to stop after 6 min every time to catch my breath. I'd also probably get injured if I'd keep doing it I think.

I know I can wait until friday, but I want to go tomorrow aswell and I wonder what you guys think I should do.

Thanks in advance!

After 7 years I'd suggest just over a mile isn't THAT bad, you gotta remember that after that sort of period you're not as fit as you were then, it'll take a little bit of time but stick with it and you'll notice results.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Deleted
    My suggestion would be to go at a jogging pace and just keep jogging, if it gets a little tough slow down and walk abit, then speed up when you are ready and just do that for as long as you can. Stamina is tough to build because to get more you just have to keep doing as much as you can, you won't get any better by just doing what you can already do, you need to push on through even if that means slowing down.

That machine's most commonly called an elliptical.

If you want to run, but don't want to be doing the run-walk thing, work on the elliptical while paying attention to your heart rate. Work on sustaining periods of aerobic activity, and when you get back to running, you should be able to do it without wearing out so badly.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You've not been doing it for many years, You're going to tire quickly, just keep up with it and get proper advice from people who will know what they are talking about ANd good luck with your goal!

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just keep at it, it's going to get better really fast. It's just that your body is not used to it but since you got some sports background it will get used to it again very fast.

Even with so many years inbetween?? :O

I guess I didn't work out hard enough, barely any pain from doing so yesterday. I expected lots of it to be honest (which would of been a problem as Im a cook, so I cant just sit down and do my job ).

Anyway tomorrow I'm going again, not looking forward to it as ill have a personal trainer for an hour.. He will most likely push me past my limit. Thanks for the advice all of you!

Well today I got a training schedule from my instructor, first week ill start off with:

3x 5 shinning (push ups) with 2 minutes break after each 5
    15 times bench press with no weights on it, then 2x 10 times with 10 kg on it
    An equal amount of deadlifts with 20 kg on it (so 35 times)
    And 3x 25 sit ups I believe, I just didn't reach that point today....

The first time I did the push ups (is this the correct word? I basically hang with stretched arms and then pull myself up entirely, while pulling my legs towards my ass) I thought it'd be easy. The first 5 went with nearly no issues but the last 2x 5 were terrible. I couldnt get myself up anymore and really had to push myself through it and I barely managed.

After the deadlifts I got dizzy and almost went out, friggen vommited and felt like shit for half a day. Now my arms hurt like a bitch, cant even stretch them forward. Looking forward to trying this again, though, so Im not going to give up.

He basically told me to do this so we'd wake up my muscles and build some general strength, then after 6 weeks we'll start building condition by running and stuff. He said if I first build strength and wake up my muscles, the condition will build up quicker as you're stronger.

I'm just afraid I almost faint again next time and I was freaking happy the gym was empty when it happened as it was about to close...

He also told me it's because I didn't eat properly, had one sandwich with cheese but he told me to eat something like 4 slices of bread with apple sirup as that absorbs quicker than other meals.

Pfft, ill keep this thread updated I think to note down my progress!

Just fyi; the training schedule is based on someone applying for commandos. So it's a lot tougher than I need, but I think I'll stick to the extra challenge!
    Last edited by aevitas; 2013-08-03 at 12:32 AM.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The first few times are a pain in the ass.

I started going to the gym again after a 3 year break this January and after the first few times I could barely get out of bed in the morning :P
    But once your muscles "wake up" from their slumber it becomes a lot easier.

Chin-Ups are great by the way. I used to be able to do around 25 of them back in the day but when I first tried em again this January I could barely manage 5 :P But they are a great way to muster some basic upper-body-strength.

Also... about those sit-ups:
    If you're doing them I'd recommend doing some exercises for your lower-back muscles as well. Like lying on the floor face-down and doing reps of lifting both your hands and legs up or something similar. If your abs are dispropotionate compared to your back-muscles or vice-versa it can generate some problems posture.
    Though Deadlifts do work your lower-back a bit I'd still do a few reps of arm/leg lifting for just your lower back. But this is just something I thought about and you should probably consult your personal trainer about it in more detail :P

Just keep at it!

Heres your best option, imo. Two different types of training. You want to lift smart, do a 5x5 program to gain strength. It's guaranteed to work better than 90% of everything. You'll drop fat, gain muscle, and most important, strength.
    On off days do cardio, so if you are lifting Mon/wed/fri do 20 mins hiit tues, 20 mins hiit thurs, and saturday do something more moderate, endurance work.
    My favorite HIIT options are sprints, swimming, and punching bag training.
    AND EAT BIG. When you're doing cardio like this and lifting heavy you need food. If you find the cardio workouts are hurting your lifts, cut the cardio down a bit.

Example program

Mon
    Squats 5 sets of 5 (5x5)
    Bench 5x5
    Row 5x5

Tues - Cardio

Weds
    Squat 5x5 (20% less weight than mon)
    Military press 5x5
    Deadlift 5x5
    Chinups/pullups add weight if you can get to 15 reps. If you cant pull of body weight use machines

thurs - cardio

Friday
    Squat 4x5 1x3(Add5 lbs) 1x8 (go lighter)
    Bench 4x5 1x3 1x8
    Row 4x5 1x3 1x8
    Dips 5-8x3
    curls 5-8x3

you can add ab work if you want. But i wouldn't with all the cardio and lifting. YOU NEED TO START LIGHTER THAN YOU CAN DO then add 5 pounds every week to every lift. I didn't make this, look up bill star 5x5 if you want more info.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    As an ignorant American I have no idea what any of those numbers mean and I am to lazy to convert them. What I do know is that you don't need to be obese to have trouble running. After 7 years your cardiovascular system just isn't used to the strain that running puts on your muscles. Don't expect results over night, just run/jog at least 3 times a week and after like 3-4 weeks you will notice that every time you run you will be able to go a little bit further and you will be able to run a little bit faster.

Also I'm assuming that you were on a treadmill since you were at the gym. When I run on a treadmill I can barely run a mile, but when I go outside I can usually run 5-6 without much trouble. Treadmills are extremely boring, there is nothing fun about running in a straight line without actually moving anywhere, staring at yourself in a mirror. All I can think about when I am on a treadmill is my breathing and it just makes it harder. Try going outside on a trail somewhere where there are twists, turns, bumps, and things to look at. If you plan to be serious about this you need to have fun doing it, not feel like you are being forced to.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

You are doing quite fine. I started working out 9 months ago, and initially it was TORTURE, and I was almost ashamed at how little I could accomplish. 9 months later and I have accomplished far more than I ever expected. Don't be intimidated by your early troubles, and stick with it. You'll make some fast progress at first, most likely, then will settle down for the long haul once you get close to where you stopped last time you worked out.

BTW... CONGRATULATIONS What you are doing rocks!

Deleted
    First of all you should find out how you will be examined for your fitness test, on a machine or on a road.

I really can't tell you why, but a guy I know that does that stuff for the military said it's surprising how many people fail the fitness test because they trained on a machine and were expected to be tested on the road of vice versa.

As far as I know I will be tested on a machine. You get stickers on your body (to measure heartbeat) and you have to ride a bike which appears to be really heavy with hills and stuff. It just takes 8-12 min, but if your heartbeat goes too high they'll tell you to stop so you can't force yourself to keep going.

Either way, last monday I had a lighter training. My instructor told me to work out just to be moving, to get rid of the pain I had. And damn it worked like a charm! Only did some crosstraining, a bit of light weight lifting and stuff like that.

Yesterday I started my normal program again, I prepared on a crosstrainer. I then went with some light weight lifting on a machine (pushing weights away in front of you, and pulling weight down) to prepare to lift myself up again.

I then did 2x 5 pull ups, pulling my legs towards my ass and surprisingly it did go easier than the first time. I then tried another 5 but stopped at 4, as my body screamed I reached the limit. After that I bench pressed 15 times with no weights and 2x10 times with 10kg. Followed by 2x10 deadlifts with 10kg but at this point I nearly was out of energy.

I then tried 2x10 sit-ups but I quit after doing 18 as I was just empty. I definately reached my limit this training. No muscle pain today though, makes me feel I haven't trained hard enough??

Glad I didnt faint this time around though, still kind of afraid of that happening! Atleast I feel progress was made, as these excersises went slightly easier than the first time. Really happy with that.

Also, no harm has been done to my legs yet. Should I maybe throw in a couple of leg-heavy excersises? Although deadlifts focus on my legs (I feel it while doing it), I havent felt any muscle pain at all there...

@Omega10: thanks! I feel my job are to thank for that. My arms and shoulders have always remained pretty 'big' and my arms have quite some strength in them, maybe its just my build. If I wasn't a cook and constantly moving, lifting heavy stuff etc and instead sitting in an office, I would be in a much terrible position I think. Ill post pics in the future of myself, because right now theres not much difference as of yet.

@Kekeoki: As good as the cardio training sounds, I'm glad I can make it to the gym 3 times. As I work as a cook I often am away from early in the morning until 11-12 in the evening, so that's a couple of days lost already. I simply don't have the time to go 5 times.

@Drunkenfinn: Thanks for the tip! Ill defo talk to him about it next friday.

Sorry for the long ass posts each time!
    Last edited by aevitas; 2013-08-08 at 11:27 AM.

I would suggest strength training with plenty of functional movements and patterns and a combination of HIIT and consistent steady pace cardio but I wouldn't do cardio more than twice a week.

Just take it easy, go step by step.

Take good care of your feeding, go out to run at least 5 times a week with an app like nike running or runtastic, do some abs and push ups every day nothing crazy at first, but set a goal and a timetable and stick to it. Try to improve every day, every week. Also taking pictures of yourself helps to remind you the work you've done.

Also this might help: http://www.youtube.com/user/DreamzstoryTV

Deleted
    Get used to running on roads and across country, the military do not test you on machines and it can really screw you over if you are not used to it. Best of all, running on roads is free.

Takes a month to pick up a form, just keep at it. Jogging turns to running quite fast.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    I would also look into getting a new personal trainer, anyone that suggests apple syrup sandwiches is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Minrolol View Post
    ... I wouldn't do cardio more than twice a week.
    Why is that?