Horridon 10N Tips and Tricks?

Yep it's another Horridon 10N thread. I was thinking of posting in one of the other threads but didn't want to derail the OP's post by asking my specific questions in regards to protection warriors in this fight... so here it goes.

I haven't raided ToT (N) at all. Joined a newly formed guild (10 man) over the weekend and they downed Jinh'rok last night and I will be raiding with them going forward. They have I would guess 10 attempts in on Horridon and I do not want to drag them back down by not being aware of simply things I can do as the tank to ease the fight.

I understand a decent amount reading the threads in Raid & Dungeons. Move out of all the AoE on the ground (sand, ice) interrupt the shit out of adds, and face bear guys away from DPS. (all dependent on which doors I will be in charge of) My main questions come from other warrior tanks experience with this fight.

1. What abilities are you using to gather adds? In LFR I can manage but the burden close to when dinomancer lands is tough.
    2. I assume we are using Shield Barrier to soak Horridon damage? Is any of his damage avoidable?
    3. Positioning of Horridon during doors? (I have read A LOT of different strategies)
    4. Mocking Banner vs Skull Banner?

I am really hoping I will not be stuck in one of the several guilds I hear that are stuck on this boss due to incompetency, but that is the woes of a low population server I suppose.

15+ Year Old Account
    Couple of variables that will change things up!

What doors will you be tanking?
    What is your off tank? If paladin are you going to have him solo tank Horridon 100%?
    Do you have a hunter or rogue for MD/TOT?
    What strat has been proposed so far for this fight as far as you know?

Much more precise / tips trick that can help you can be provided if a couple of variables are cleared up I could tell you my strat but then it may not help you at all if you do it another way!

Deleted
    That closing paragraph made me understand the whole post as "blah blah blah I want to be carried".

Quote Originally Posted by FallenSystm View Post
    Mocking Banner vs Skull Banner?
    It's not one versus the other, you should use both.

Deleted
    1. I tank 1st and 3rd Doors. I mocking banner the 3rd. Vigilance, Thunderclap the first, heroic leap the adds for the initial aggro. People with Misdirect abilities should be using them them too.
    2. Shield barrier them, pretty sure they are unblockable but can't remember. The damage shouldn't be too bad in all honesty that it's chewing through your entire HP pool.
    3. At the edge of the semi-circle thing, having people move into a straight line with him if they are charged. Found I can grab the 2nd casts (when 3 mobs are casting poison volleys) with AoE interrupt if they are kept close enough.
    4. Both? Mock the third door, it's the only one I found dangerous if they MS the current Horridon tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Drii View Post
    That closing paragraph made me understand the whole post as "blah blah blah I want to be carried".
    Bit of a difference between failing because you are doing nothing, and failing because others are shit. In fact it seems like OP wants to be the opposite of being a carry asking these questions, no?

Quote Originally Posted by bobyboucher View Post
    Couple of variables that will change things up!

What doors will you be tanking?
    What is your off tank? If paladin are you going to have him solo tank Horridon 100%?
    Do you have a hunter or rogue for MD/TOT?
    What strat has been proposed so far for this fight as far as you know?

Much more precise / tips trick that can help you can be provided if a couple of variables are cleared up I could tell you my strat but then it may not help you at all if you do it another way!
    Sorry but I don't know which doors I will be tanking.

No paladin tank, rolling with a Monk. (Excited for Tortos)

Both

I don't know of the strat provided, the guild walked into ToT for the first time yesterday and I was absent due to RL stuff.

Thanks for your help, as the other posters haven't really been helpful currently.

Your contribution is worthless. Coming to this forum and asking for help should if anything show you that I am not looking to be carried. I have raided very successfully in the past and consider myself a very good WoW player. I came her so that me personally not knowing the tricks that other tanks have developed would be shared so I could go in with some confidence. Next time don't post, and fuck off.

It's not one versus the other, you should use both.
    Correct me if I am wrong here, but using one puts the other on CD. Just curious mainly during the door phase if people are using Skull or Mocking. I figure Skull makes the most sense but wanted to get other tanks opinions.

Deleted

Correct me if I am wrong here, but using one puts the other on CD. Just curious mainly during the door phase if people are using Skull or Mocking. I figure Skull makes the most sense but wanted to get other tanks opinions.
    They have individual cooldowns, but only one banner can be up at a time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but I don't know which doors I will be tanking.
    You are wrong each one has there own CD.

Well the thing is with a hunter and rogue you should never really have any issues with the adds they should be on you pretty much with no problem so the question now is how to mitigate dmg and position!

When / If Horridon tanking I prefer to run shield block. Now the "bad" thing is triple puncture is non blockable so you an generaly block a triple puncture and take no dmg but you probably wont have rage after for the next couple of hits unless you pooled it properly / got good rns on sword and board! The other thing is just becuase triple puncture comes off CD does not mean he will cast it right away so be sure that you are not killing your barrier on regular hits only to get nailed with a full triple puncture and then have no S.block up for the following hits.

it will depend what doors you are on but in general the rule is focus the main adds first, do everythign you can to interupt everythign you can, and use all the AOE / mitigation tools in your box... be it leap, heroic throw, demo shout, banners, vig, intercept! This fight is about looking at your toolkit and using all the abilities in it.

The other thing is just becuase triple puncture comes off CD does not mean he will cast it right away so be sure that you are not killing your barrier on regular hits only to get nailed with a full triple puncture and then have no S.block up for the following hits.
    Actually, he does. The only time when he doesn't (and that's something that happens once every two or three times iirc), is when the cd of Triple Puncture and his aoe (or his charge) are up at the same time, he will always cast his aoe (or charge+aoe) BEFORE the Triple Puncture.
    It's very easy to time your SBar for each Triple Puncture and that makes the boss rather easy to tank, even during the "enrage" phase.

---------- Post added 2013-04-29 at 05:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless101 View Post
    Vigilance
    I tank the adds during doors 2-3-4 and I don't find Vigilance necessary so I use Mass Reflect instead for 4th door.
    Actually, I'm not sure if Mass Reflect is working on the spells cast during 4th door so I may be wrong doing so.
    Also, I guess Vigilance is rather good if you're not the one tanking Horridon during his "enrage" phase.

1. I tank 1st and 3rd Doors. I mocking banner the 3rd. Vigilance, Thunderclap the first, heroic leap the adds for the initial aggro. People with Misdirect abilities should be using them them too.
    2. Shield barrier them, pretty sure they are unblockable but can't remember. The damage shouldn't be too bad in all honesty that it's chewing through your entire HP pool.
    3. At the edge of the semi-circle thing, having people move into a straight line with him if they are charged. Found I can grab the 2nd casts (when 3 mobs are casting poison volleys) with AoE interrupt if they are kept close enough.
    4. Both? Mock the third door, it's the only one I found dangerous if they MS the current Horridon tank.
    Thanks for the fantastic reply's. I will have to figure out the vigilance target tonight since it is my first time raiding with this guild and there is always one (if not more) DPS pulling crazy aggro.

Sounds good on the positioning as well, gives me a good idea of where I need to keep him. And the interrupt AoE suggestion is awesome, that is the exact kind of tip I was looking for! =)

To all the replys about the banners thank you, I guess I overlooked this while playing. With OminCC it pops up with a 3min CD on all the banners when you use one so I must have never looked back once I saw this the first time. This will greatly enhance my play.

Also Flawless, thanks for telling that guy off as well, some people

When / If Horridon tanking I prefer to run shield block. Now the "bad" thing is triple puncture is non blockable so you an generaly block a triple puncture and take no dmg but you probably wont have rage after for the next couple of hits unless you pooled it properly / got good rns on sword and board! The other thing is just becuase triple puncture comes off CD does not mean he will cast it right away so be sure that you are not killing your barrier on regular hits only to get nailed with a full triple puncture and then have no S.block up for the following hits.
    Thank you for the details. This is kind of where my head was at in regards to tanking him, but you have made me certain that I was thinking correctly on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    Actually, he does. The only time when he doesn't (and that's something that happens once every two or three times iirc), is when the cd of Triple Puncture and his aoe (or his charge) are up at the same time, he will always cast his aoe (or charge+aoe) BEFORE the Triple Puncture..
    How is that casting it off cd everytime then? My comment was to flag exactly what you just pointed out hence you cannot time it with DBM or other relative timers like some abilities that will happen as soon as the CD is up. As we know that the triple puncture will be cast after those abilities it's easy to say "but it is cast after cd as a priority after the other abilities" it's easy to say that when you know about it but for a tank going in the first time where it matters (LFR dmg is a joke) knowing not to blow S.bar as the CD is running out each time and being sure you will be absorbing the triple is some pretty usefull info!

If it happens 1 out of 2 or 3 times then its not triple puncture on CD!

Deleted
    Its a huge l2p issue if any guild is stuck on horridon atm. They dont know their classes while backpedaling in circles. Sorry

If it happens 1 out of 2 or 3 times then its not triple puncture on CD!
    You made it sound like it was random.
    I made it clear it wasn't.

Its a huge l2p issue if any guild is stuck on horridon atm. They dont know their classes while backpedaling in circles. Sorry
    Well like I put in my post. I haven't raided with these guys yet and I know that most mediocre guilds are stuck at this boss because everyone is accountable for what is happening.

You made it sound like it was random.
    I made it clear it wasn't.
    Once again, thanks to both of you. Just to clarify he is going to cast it on CD when it's priority comes up. Do we know his priority rotation?

Once again, thanks to both of you. Just to clarify he is going to cast it on CD when it's priority comes up. Do we know his priority rotation?
    Charge > Double aoe (I don't remember the name of this ability) > Triple Punture

Deleted
    Yoy'll be able yo use the aoe taunt banner for both 1st and 3rd phase, use it when the 2nd and 3rd big add of each wave appear, most often you'll be at range to taunt one of the two, so juste ensure that the other doesn't go kissing the other tank.
    Concerning the skull banner, don't forget you can only have one banner in the same time, so just don't erase one with the other if you still need the taunt.
    On first wave, most often thunder clap is enough, be sure to move slightly to the next door after the pop off no2 and 3 caster, mock banner the farest, thunder or taunt the closest, and the Dino will appear a few secs after directly on you (close to the pop point of the caster closer to the 2nd door).
    Concerning the third door, keep close to the door until the pop of the first ice ball, then move slowly to next door, and same business that for the first door: mock banner the farest on his way, taunt the closest, and use protect cooldowns, get back a few meters each time you have a new ice ball, ensure that you don't put ice balls on the ground of the 4th door.
    Personally we tank the boss in a parallel way of the wall, on each door the raid does the half of the way to the next, letting the aoes behind.
    We killed horridon the first week of the release with 2 healers, there's often a dps issue on this fight, most often low raids can't handle the adds, and most often cause of a non-skilled tanking.