Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just go with Windows 8 unless the price points matter to you (and then you'll probably upgrade before you stop using your computer, so I'd go with W8). If you happen to get windows for free, do whatever, you're not exactly bound to an OS then; though I would still go with W8.

The only bad part about W8 is the lack of a start menu, and I don't even find that bad, it's an improvement for me, personally.

In general, if you use your start menu more than 5 times per day, I would stay with W7, because you clearly haven't found out that you can pin programs to your toolbar. That could be an issue because it's probably the best feature of W7. I use my computer > 100 hours per week (60-80 for business) and I only use my start menu less than once per day on average.
    Last edited by Merite; 2013-04-30 at 05:42 PM.

Windows Blue aka W8.1 is just going to have the same kernel version 6.2 and the Start menu / desktopboot is just coming back as an option. http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-W...u-346993.shtml

It's been decided by ppl with higher ranks above the software department of MS.

Still I don't even understand why people are just whining about the start menu or the metro interface while you barely get in contact with it. Give W8 2 weeks to realize that the start menu isnt useful.
    Last edited by Faithh; 2013-04-30 at 05:42 PM.

Get windows 8 and classic shell.
    No need to go with 7 if you dont have it already.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

None of those call it Windows 9 but really point back to my initial point saying 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    8 + Start Button replacement > 7, faster boot, faster shut down, better desktop UI, better log in setup, better resource management, better task manager, better file transfer setup...

With 8.1, it looks like they are going to give it up and put back in the start button themselves, making it defaultly better then 7.

I use Stardock's Start 8, works just like 7, but cleaner and better.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Windows 8 will from now on be all about incremental updates - kind of like the Android/iOS route. I wonder if people even appreciate the app store? It's so much better and safer for downloading apps (for new users anyway).

It really is a better O/S imo, but the metro does throw people a bit. All I do for my customer-base is install free StartW8 and they're happy.

If you have an SSD, Windows 8 is god-like on start-up, sleep and shut-down with performance similar to tablet speeds - you can check my company site (in my sig) for a video I did (it's on the right of my page) and no, it's a local South African site, so I'm not advertising as mmo-champ is not my audience. I just happened to have done a you-tube vid on it recently for my customers.

If you're getting a new PC and need a new O/S, there is absolutely no reason not to get Win8. If you're upgrading, however and have a retail O/S, spend the money on something else as there is no pressing need (right now) to change. Whether you like it or not, Windows 8 is here to stay and you will use it eventually.

An often overlooked thing is the recent announcement that Win8 has cornered like 7.5% of the tablet market (read it on an article on flip-board) which is a pretty impressive feat for such a new O/S - albeit I think 8 and RT in those figures.

Sales of Windows have slowed because sales of PC's have slowed and will continue to slow.

EDIT: I've become a bit of a (apparent) fanboy of Win8 in my defense of it due to these armchair idiot techies calling it "Vista". It makes makes me fume when I hear some idiot compare it to that.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-04-30 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zookii View Post
    None of those call it Windows 9 but really point back to my initial point saying 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, etc.
    Yearly updates like OSX. Name is not known yet but it will not be 8.1 or 9 or Windows 8 Service Pack 1.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Yearly updates like OSX. Name is not known yet but it will not be 8.1 or 9 or Windows 8 Service Pack 1.
    That part I knew but was more hinting at you kept calling it Win9. Just was trying to clarify that. Every article I've read hinted at 8.1 and I swear I even saw some unofficial confirmation by MS that it was in fact 8.1. Cannot remember where I saw it though so not going to claim it as true.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/sof...ources-1142086

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-wind...-1-7000013391/

Should be more confirmation 8.1.
    Last edited by Zookii; 2013-04-30 at 06:26 PM.

Deleted
    I used 7 since it came out and tried 8 for about 2 months, finally went back to 7 though some weeks ago. Win8 is purely designed for touchscreen control, so i used StartIsBack to immediately boot to the desktop "app" and get the Start button back.

There are only 2 advantages when it comes to 8 imho: higher transfer rates for files when you use an SSD and USB 3 devices (might be a driver issue with my 3rd party USB controller though) and it's simply the most recent Microsoft OS.

Win7 on the other hand supports more programs and (this was a very important issue for me) the built-in antivirus via MS security essentials lets you choose if you want to allow a (mostly false positive) recognized virus/trojan. 8 doesn't give you this choice and simply deletes files that it detects as being harmful unless you manually tell it to ignore certain directories. Also many drivers for not last-gen devices are solely optimized for 7 and vendors cba to develop ones for 8.

Conclusion: if you don't have touchscreen input, stick to 7. 8's few advantages simply cannot outweigh the ones of 7. Btw you will see 5 to 10 sec bootup times on an SSD with both a new 7 and 8 OS installation if you install the latest drivers.

Every article I've read hinted at 8.1 and I swear I even saw some unofficial confirmation by MS that it was in fact 8.1. Cannot remember where I saw it though so not going to claim it as true.
    It's easier to say Windows 9 than "the next windows release" and everybody knows what it means. Just don't get too stuck on semantics.

Should be more confirmation 8.1.
    All it says is that the commercial name will probably remain Windows 8, but it gets internally subversions. I wouldn't pay too much attention to that considering internal version numbers go like this...

WinXP = Windows 5.0
    Vista = Windows 6.0
    Win7 = Windows 6.1
    Win8 = Windows 6.2

It doesn't make much sense to jump from 6.3 to 8.1, would guess they'll change the version numbering scheme completely.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

It's easier to say Windows 9 than "the next windows release" and everybody knows what it means. Just don't get too stuck on semantics.

All it says is that the commercial name will probably remain Windows 8, but it gets internally subversions. I wouldn't pay too much attention to that considering internal version numbers go like this...

WinXP = Windows 5.0
    Vista = Windows 6.0
    Win7 = Windows 6.1
    Win8 = Windows 6.2

It doesn't make much sense to jump from 6.3 to 8.1, would guess they'll change the version numbering scheme completely.
    Windows 8 > Windows 8.1, the freshly leaked builds use "Windows 8.1 Pro Preview", simple enough, 8.1 does not refer to the Kernel Version you are trying to link to.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're right. But with the model of OSX it would be called 8.1. Or something similar. Linux does definite number sequences for core distros like Redhat and Debian. Ubuntu does dates for version number. You just threw me off saying Win 9 alpha. For all we know this version will just be SP1.

My thoughts really go back to the next real release, aka Win9, would be a model more geared with corporate in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyuli View Post
    Windows 8 > Windows 8.1, the freshly leaked builds use "Windows 8.1 Pro Preview", simple enough, 8.1 does not refer to the Kernel Version you are trying to link to.
    Leaked alpha is still alpha. Wouldn't make too many conclusions based on it.
    Trolling should be.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leaked alpha is still alpha. Wouldn't make too many conclusions based on it.
    We'll know more facts in June at the Build Conference.

My thoughts really go back to the next real release, aka Win9, would be a model more geared with corporate in mind.
    Doubt it. Microsoft once already killed the home OS line (98) and made the corporate version (Win2K) as the one mainstream version (WinXP) with several versions from home to corporate. Corporations are still using WinXP or 7 today and will not be upgrading in many years, and those that do go to 7 because it will require very little retraining instead of 8 which is different enough.

We'll know more facts in June at the Build Conference.
    Yep, will probably have full details of the next release then. Along with consumer/developer previews as they've done with 7 and 8.
    Trolling should be.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doubt it. Microsoft once already killed the home OS line (98) and made the corporate version (Win2K) as the one mainstream version (WinXP) with several versions from home to corporate. Corporations are still using WinXP or 7 today and will not be upgrading in many years, and those that do go to 7 because it will require very little retraining instead of 8 which is different enough.
    I'd have to go back and look but WinXP there were only Home and Pro. Later on a 64bit version but that was it. Vista had so many iterations of the software it was stupid. There were corp geared versions but since corp had just adopted WinXP cost wise would be pretty dumb to do XP then do Vista. Win7 was the logical upgrade path for corp. Tons of corp just last year or so upgraded to Win7. No reason to do 8 right now. I could see in a year or so Win9 being released and corp adopts it.

Well, didn't get it ordered in the "day or two" that I had hoped. Work gets in the way sometimes, right?

Got everything entered for the order. Going with Newegg as I've used them for many orders in the past.

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $129.99
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - $219.99
    GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI SLI Support Video Card - $399.99
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - $89.99
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - $124.99
    SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive - $109.99
    Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler - $79.99
    ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner (planning to add secondary Blu-Ray later) - $17.99
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM - $139.99 ... Yeah, going Windows 7 for now I think. Can upgrade/change later if I decide. Still haven't used Windows 8 personally at all.

Reusing new (less than year old) Western Digital 1TB SATA III drive. Hoping, really hoping, that reusing my Cooler Master Praetorian case will work and allow room for everything. New keyboard. Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Think that's about it. Comes out to just a bit over $1300 total. Ordering tonight when I return back to work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM - $139.99
    Any reason for spending $50 extra on the pro version? >.>
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

In my personal opinion, if you're running a multiple monitor setup, windows 8 cannot be beat. It's support on multiple monitors is vastly superior to windows 7.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Any reason for spending $50 extra on the pro version? >.>
    Yeah - at that price you can buy OEM Win 8 Pro, which has the same features.